Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

Anybody else have concerns wrt the protected list and a new GM?

Depending on when he's hired, he'll have at most a few weeks to decide on who to protect.    Is that enough time to get to know the players?

With Murray we knew who his favorites were, but with a new GM it's gonna be a total crap shoot, and that's a bit unnerving.   Kane? Lehner?  Bogo?  Ennis?  Who knows.  

I don't think the plan changes at all regardless of the GM. After all our best players are our best players regardless of system.

I just don't think that a new GM is going to burn down the whole rebuild. Sam, Jack, Risto, McCabe, ROR, KO and possbily Lehner are going to remain the core. Everyone else, including Kane, are available to be moved and this was the case before yesterday and remains the case today.

What I'd like to see happen is that the new GM gets a top 3 D before the expansion draft and protects that player in a 7-3-1 and exposes Bogo.

However, the upside of a new GM and coach is that guys like Bogo and Ennis get a new lease on life. Maybe just maybe they find their games. Lehner is the big question mark. He was certainly a TM favorite. However, the growth in his game and professionalism year over year was excellent. I can't see the new GM not giving him at least a bridge deal because I don't see a better value option out there. Bishop, and Fleury all would be significantly more expensive and may not be what the franchise needs long-term.

Depending on when he's hired, he'll have at most a few weeks to decide on who to protect.    Is that enough time to get to know the players?

With Murray we knew who his favorites were, but with a new GM it's gonna be a total crap shoot, and that's a bit unnerving.   Kane? Lehner?  Bogo?  Ennis?  Who knows.  

I don't think there's a single person employed by an NHL team that would expose Kane in an expansion draft. And that includes Dustin Byfuglien.

There may be some fallout with trades in and around the expansion draft, but the protected list itself is the easiest thing in the world for the team to set. A new GM would literally have to be attempting to sabotage the team to get it wrong in any meaningful way.

Only the dumbest GM in the NHL would expose Kane in an expansion draft. I wouldn't even wait for the draft to be over I would just slap him in the face with a shovel and fire him on the spot. 

I'm a little worried that we lose Carrier when we have a chance to dump a bad contract. Losing Carrier isn't some massive blow to the team, but with a nonzero chance that Ennis is taken, I want that to happen.

Why would Carrier be exposed but Ennis on a (relatively) bad deal be protected?

Leaving Carrier exposed would be awfully dumb, but yea, hardly crippling.

How is any GM coming in here with only a few weeks to prepare, have enough time to evaluate the roster?

I think any of us have a better understanding of the players strengths and weaknesses than whoever the new GM will be.    

How is any GM coming in here with only a few weeks to prepare, have enough time to evaluate the roster?

I think any of us have a better understanding of the players strengths and weaknesses than whoever the new GM will be.

Unless it's someone already in the organization

(insert face mask thingie here)

Maybe it's just me but if I'm interviewing for the job, I've already evaluated the roster uo and down and have a plan in place as soon as I'm hired.

Maybe it's just me but if I'm interviewing for the job, I've already evaluated the roster uo and down and have a plan in place as soon as I'm hired.

Agree with this. Character issues are not things you can evaluate on film etc. but they're usually documented if it's a real problem. I'm all for getting people as soon as we can but we don't need a panic mode hire here.

Murray mentioned today that McPhee owes him a favor. He said something like (paraphrasing): "Maybe i've done a deal in the past with George, maybe I've had a conversation with him reminding him of that and he remembered the wordage of that deal word for word, which I was very happy to hear"

so, what happens with this now?

From John Wawrow

Keep your eye out on a story just filed on Golden Knights GM McPhee confirming he had productive talks - but no deal - with #Sabres Murray.

McPhee wasn't specific, but said potential expansion draft deal now on hold with Murray fired.

Will have to revisit with new #Sabres regime.

From John Wawrow

Keep your eye out on a story just filed on Golden Knights GM McPhee confirming he had productive talks - but no deal - with #Sabres Murray.

McPhee wasn't specific, but said potential expansion draft deal now on hold with Murray fired.

Will have to revisit with new #Sabres regime.

AP usually publishes a story within an hour of filing (I've learned this from following Wawrow) so we should have something soon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.