Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

There is a calculator on capfriendly.com that does a cost per goal, assist and point for each player. I knew we were one of the worst teams in value, but it really makes clear who needs to be protected and who doesn't particularly for the forwards, but it also shows how little production we are getting outside McCabe and Risto.

Bottomline: Ennis is the least productive Sabres forward and is the guy we need to hope LV takes. I'm not optimistic.

I would keep Girgs over Larsson. Girgs is more versatile, a better skater, and more tenacious. He can move up on lines or play wing when needed. Larsson is more of a one-note defensive player who can be replaced by Rodrigues.

Zemgus has also been completely invisible since Teds left

We talked about making a deal with LV for a D during expansion, but what about making a deal with NYI, Minn, Ana or Philly before the draft.  It looks like Philly and the NYI aren't going to make the playoffs either,  Teams can make deals right after the season ends.  

Lets take the NYI for example.  They have a ton of D.  Some kids like Pelach and former 1st pick Pulock knocking on the door and needing protection as well as Boychuk (NMC), Leddy who they must protect, plus quality guys like Hamonic, De Haan and Hickey.  That's 7 guys and really only 3 slots to protect them with.  Hamonic is the logically trade because of his past desire to be traded and large cap hit.  While still an excellent player he has had an off season and still likely still wants to be sent to Western Canada, which wouid limit his trade value.  

The player I want is DeHaan.  Only 25 and an RFA after this season, there is reason to think the NYI might be will to trade him instead of paying to re-sign him.  He isn't a great offensive D, but he eats minutes, skates well, moves the puck. Really a move experienced version of McCabe.  Downside also a LD.  

DeHaan is just an example.  Sami Vatanen would also fit perfectly (he is a RD).  My question is if GMTM pulls off such a move, how does it change our protected list?  Do we move to 4-4-1?  What would 4-4-1 look like?

Forwards: ROR, Okposo, Kane & Foligno.  Expose: Moulson Ennis Girgensons, Larsson and Carrier

Defense: McCabe, Risto Vatanen and Bogo: Expose Falk and Gorges (do we swap Falk for Bogo to try to get rid of his contract?)

or do we stick to 7-3-1

Forwards:ROR, Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson Carrier & Foligno.  Expose: Moulson and Ennis

Defense:  McCabe, Risto and Vatanen Expose: Bogo, Falk and Gorges

We talked about making a deal with LV for a D during expansion, but what about making a deal with NYI, Minn, Ana or Philly before the draft. It looks like Philly and the NYI aren't going to make the playoffs either, Teams can make deals right after the season ends.

Lets take the NYI for example. They have a ton of D. Some kids like Pelach and former 1st pick Pulock knocking on the door and needing protection as well as Boychuk (NMC), Leddy who they must protect, plus quality guys like Hamonic, De Haan and Hickey. That's 7 guys and really only 3 slots to protect them with. Hamonic is the logically trade because of his past desire to be traded and large cap hit. While still an excellent player he has had an off season and still likely still wants to be sent to Western Canada, which wouid limit his trade value.

The player I want is DeHaan. Only 25 and an RFA after this season, there is reason to think the NYI might be will to trade him instead of paying to re-sign him. He isn't a great offensive D, but he eats minutes, skates well, moves the puck. Really a move experienced version of McCabe. Downside also a LD.

DeHaan is just an example. Sami Vatanen would also fit perfectly (he is a RD). My question is if GMTM pulls off such a move, how does it change our protected list? Do we move to 4-4-1? What would 4-4-1 look like?

Forwards: ROR, Okposo, Kane & Foligno. Expose: Moulson Ennis Girgensons, Larsson and Carrier

Defense: McCabe, Risto Vatanen and Bogo: Expose Falk and Gorges (do we swap Falk for Bogo to try to get rid of his contract?)

or do we stick to 7-3-1

Forwards:ROR, Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson Carrier & Foligno. Expose: Moulson and Ennis

Defense: McCabe, Risto and Vatanen Expose: Bogo, Falk and Gorges

I'm not sure who the third defenseman is who they acquire, but this is pretty much what I expect.

We talked about making a deal with LV for a D during expansion, but what about making a deal with NYI, Minn, Ana or Philly before the draft.  It looks like Philly and the NYI aren't going to make the playoffs either,  Teams can make deals right after the season ends.  

Lets take the NYI for example.  They have a ton of D.  Some kids like Pelach and former 1st pick Pulock knocking on the door and needing protection as well as Boychuk (NMC), Leddy who they must protect, plus quality guys like Hamonic, De Haan and Hickey.  That's 7 guys and really only 3 slots to protect them with.  Hamonic is the logically trade because of his past desire to be traded and large cap hit.  While still an excellent player he has had an off season and still likely still wants to be sent to Western Canada, which wouid limit his trade value.  

The player I want is DeHaan.  Only 25 and an RFA after this season, there is reason to think the NYI might be will to trade him instead of paying to re-sign him.  He isn't a great offensive D, but he eats minutes, skates well, moves the puck. Really a move experienced version of McCabe.  Downside also a LD.  

DeHaan is just an example.  Sami Vatanen would also fit perfectly (he is a RD).  My question is if GMTM pulls off such a move, how does it change our protected list?  Do we move to 4-4-1?  What would 4-4-1 look like?

Forwards: ROR, Okposo, Kane & Foligno.  Expose: Moulson Ennis Girgensons, Larsson and Carrier

or do we stick to 7-3-1

Forwards:ROR, Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson Carrier & Foligno.  Expose: Moulson and Ennis

Defense:  McCabe, Risto and Vatanen Expose: Bogo, Falk and Gorges

I'd expect them to stay w/ 7-3-1 if they do get a deal done prior to the Vegas draft w/ Bogosian becoming the unprotected one.

ESPN predicts Vegas' entire expansion draft

From the Sabres we have:

Burnside: Grigrnsons

Custance: Moulson (Further proof that Custance is indeed, a moron)

LeBrun: Ennis

McDonald: Gorges

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19015985/nhl-vegas-golden-knights-mock-draft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams

From the Sabres we have:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19015985/nhl-vegas-golden-knights-mock-draft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams

WTF was Burnside's 7th protected F if he has Girgensons going to Vegas?

From the Sabres we have:

My pants just got bigger

Apparently all of them think Former Sabre Brayden McNabb will be taken from the Kings.

Get it right. It Current all-star defenseman future hall of gamer Brayden McNabb.

Short listen on GR this morning.

In order for a player to be eligible for the expansion draft they need to have played 40 games during the 16-17 season.

Nic Deslauries has 39 games in. Look to see him at least one more game this season, and it is quite possible the reason he is here over some in Rochester.

In order for a player to be eligible for the expansion draft they need to have played 40 games during the 16-17 season.

Nic Deslauries has 39 games in. Look to see him at least one more game this season, and it is quite possible the reason he is here over some in Rochester.

from https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft:

Teams must expose a minimum number of players that meet the exposure requirements:

Forwards 2

• under contract in 2017-18, AND
  • played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
  • played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

Defense 1

• under contract in 2017-18, AND
  • played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
  • played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

Goalies 1

• under contract in 2017-18, OR
  • who’s contract is expiring & is an RFA in 2017-18

This does NOT mean that only players who meet the above requirements can be selected.   It just means that each TEAM must expose a minimum number of players who meet those requirements.  

In BUF's case they have 11 forwards, 7 D, and 3 G that met the requirement.    So they're all set... if they protect 7/3/1 that exposes 4/4/2 that met the requirement, but Vegas can pick anybody unprotected not just from that group.

Edited by pi2000

If Deslauries is take by LV, form a Line at my mouth

Fwiw, Paul Hamilton believes Ullmark will be taken as well.

I like Girgensons when he first arrived, but I don't think LV would have any interest in him and I would hope Murray has no interest in keeping him here either. He doesn't do much for the team.

I think Girgensons will return to his former self once Dan is gone, which I hope is very soon.

If Deslauries is take by LV, form a Line at my mouth

No doubt it is unlikely to happen.

But it has no chance of happening unless he plays 40 games.

The season is lost, so for him to play four or five more games this year and keeping an AHL'er that should be playing in Rochester in order to expose Nic to the draft is understandable. 

Fwiw, Paul Hamilton believes Ullmark will be taken as well.

I like Girgensons when he first arrived, but I don't think LV would have any interest in him and I would hope Murray has no interest in keeping him here either. He doesn't do much for the team.

Ullmark could be the player GMTM has an agreement with GMGM not to take.

There's no way Brodin, McNabb or Manson can be allowed to get away for nothing.  If you are in a spot where you HAVE to expose those guys you need to trade them for a pick and an eligible bag of pucks to expose instead.

Some of those will be exposed those, you are actually trading for nothing.

There's no way Brodin, McNabb or Manson can be allowed to get away for nothing. If you are in a spot where you HAVE to expose those guys you need to trade them for a pick and an eligible bag of pucks to expose instead.

For the 300th time, McNabb is not that good. Zero foot speed, a healthy scratch multiple times this season

For the 300th time, McNabb is not that good. Zero foot speed, a healthy scratch multiple times this season

But, but, but he plays on the top pairing. He MUST be awesome. He carries some scrub that's afraid of Walt Tkachuk's grandkid, or so it's told. :p

There's no way Brodin, McNabb or Manson can be allowed to get away for nothing.  If you are in a spot where you HAVE to expose those guys you need to trade them for a pick and an eligible bag of pucks to expose instead.

One of these things is not like the others.

There isn't a team in the league McNabb would be protected on.

Not even ours.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because this is the next big opportunity for the Sabres to improve this team two ways.  The first is by addition through subtraction, and the second is by utilizing our assets and other teams bad expansion situations to grab a player or two.

1) Addition by subtraction.  This comes down to can we get LV to take one of our bad contracts.  I now think the answer is yes and that is Matt Moulson.  Moulson's contract structure is the key.  Matt has 2 years left with an annual 5 mill cap hit, but he only has $5 mill in salary left.  3 mill next season and 2 mill the year after,  This makes him perfect for LV.  All the mock expansion drafts show the knights with good goaltending and defense with no scoring.  No surprise there.   Moulson had 32 points last season, which if he were a FA would likely garner a $3 mill contract which is his salary for next year.  The real advantage to LV in getting him is cap floor compliance.  They need to get to 43 mill next season and the floor the following year.  Taking Moulson is a huge step in that direction, but without the actual salary cost to a new organization that likely doesn't want to invest huge in real dollars as they build a team.  (A lesson GMTM could learn from).  In addition, we have to understand that LV isn't taking Moulson from us without a sweetener because they know GMTM wants Moulson gone.  I suspect he'll send them either one of our backlog of RW prospects or Larrson.

2) GMTM must find a defenseman from one of the expansion troubled teams like Anaheim or Minn.  The biggest obstacle is cost.  I've harped on Ana because of their nauseating depth on D and terrible cap situation as the likely target. However as Minn gets bumped early in the playoffs again there are going to be big changes there and stealing a D from them might help start the ball rolling, 

Bottomline: GMTM cannot let this opportunity go to waste.  I may be his best chance ever to fixing two of his biggest mistakes as a GM.

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.