Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

He needs to clear waivers to go to the minors.  If Buffalo is high on him, you'd have to think that's at least one team that would claim him to stick around as their backup.

And the thing about being "stuck" with bad contracts is that teams may incentivize you to take those deals off their hands.

Good call on waivers.  I also agree that the Sabres (or other teams) offering a sweetener to Vegas in exchange for taking one of the bad contracts is quite possible.

However, if the Sabres and Vegas don't make a deal on a sweetener, I would still, if I were McPhee, take Ullmark with the idea that he's an asset that I could flip for a draft pick a week later, and then find a backup GT elsewhere on the cheap, as opposed to being stuck with Moulson, Ennis or Bogo.

Good call on waivers. I also agree that the Sabres (or other teams) offering a sweetener to Vegas in exchange for taking one of the bad contracts is quite possible.

However, if the Sabres and Vegas don't make a deal on a sweetener, I would still, if I were McPhee, take Ullmark with the idea that he's an asset that I could flip for a draft pick a week later, and then find a backup GT elsewhere on the cheap, as opposed to being stuck with Moulson, Ennis or Bogo.

They aren't stuck, they have to reach the cap floor and that would help them while they get going. They won't have cap issues for a long while.

Good call on waivers.  I also agree that the Sabres (or other teams) offering a sweetener to Vegas in exchange for taking one of the bad contracts is quite possible.

They aren't stuck, they have to reach the cap floor and that would help them while they get going. They won't have cap issues for a long while.

LV must take at least 3 goalies and at least 20 players under contract. While I think that Ullmark might be the best Sabre available when you consider age and contract cost, he is not one of the 3 best goalies available in expansion nor is he under contract. LV will have Pickard, Khudobin, Dansk, Howard, Mazanec, Raanta, Grubauer and maybe Matt Murray to choose from. Why take Ullmark? They also have the issue of not having a farm club to house a 4th or 5th goalie.

LV's cap floor for next season is 43.8 mill, not the regular $54 mill. However, they do have to make floor in year 2.

Between buyouts, waivers, LV requirements, their special free agency rules, and the lack of a farm club to stock there are so many moving parts it's almost impossible to predict what they are going to do. Without a farm club at least initially, I wonder if the sweeteners will be focused on draft picks vs. prospects.

To LV:

Ennis, Girgensons & 3rd Round Pick

To BUF:

Expansion Player = Bogosian/Moulson, and a 5th rounder

Vegas gets 2 guys who have preformed very well when 1st line key characters and a 3rd

Huh? I'm confused what is happening in your idea?

Good call on waivers. I also agree that the Sabres (or other teams) offering a sweetener to Vegas in exchange for taking one of the bad contracts is quite possible.

However, if the Sabres and Vegas don't make a deal on a sweetener, I would still, if I were McPhee, take Ullmark with the idea that he's an asset that I could flip for a draft pick a week later , and then find a backup GT elsewhere on the cheap, as opposed to being stuck with Moulson, Ennis or Bogo.

What asset? A 7th round pick? I don't think Ullmark is thought of nearly as highly around the league as he is here, nor do I think there's some burning market for a backup goaltender with essentially zero NHL experience.

To LV:

Ennis, Girgensons & 3rd Round Pick

To BUF:

Expansion Player = Bogosian/Moulson, and a 5th rounder

Vegas gets 2 guys who have preformed very well when 1st line key characters and a 3rd 

This is a nice, dressed up way to describe those players. If a team were inclined to believe it, they'd be willing to give us a lot more than that haha

so Vegas might take Fleury... it would then make sense for them to take a younger capable guy. Ullmark might be in the cross-hairs. 

LV can't take Fleury (NMC) unless he agrees to be left unprotected or agrees to be traded to them.  The guy may also becoming off winning another Cup, he'll have better option then LV.  Regardless, Ullmark may be the best Sabre available, (based on contract and age), but he isn't close to being one of the top 4 goalies available in expansion.

If Pitt can't find a agreeable trade for Fleury (or if they don't buy him out), Matt Murray could be available

Grubauer, 25, 2.05 GAA and .926 save % last year.

Raanta,  28, 2,27 & .922

Mazanec, 25, 2.65 & .912

Pickard, 25, 50 NHL gp, 2.98 & .904 (despite playing on the worst team in the NHL)

Howard, 33, proven NHL started, 2.10 & .927 last season (and helps get to the cap floor)

Also high end prospects like Dansk and Subban are available.

Why would you take Ullmark when you can have 3 of the guys listed above, especially when you'll be sharing an AHL team.

I'm taking Pickard, Grubauer, and Raanta and maybe a Subban or Dansk and then flipping one of them for more picks in the draft.  Ullmark doesn't even enter my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

LV can't take Fleury (NMC) unless he agrees to be left unprotected or agrees to be traded to them.  The guy may also becoming off winning another Cup, he'll have better option then LV.  Regardless, Ullmark may be the best Sabre available, (based on contract and age), but he isn't close to being one of the top 4 goalies available in expansion.

If Pitt can't find a agreeable trade for Fleury (or if they don't buy him out), Matt Murray could be available

Raanta,  28, 2,27 & .922

Mazanec, 25, 2.65 & .912

Pickard, 25, 50 NHL gp, 2.98 & .904 (despite playing on the worst team in the NHL)

Howard, 33, proven NHL started, 2.10 & .927 last season (and helps get to the cap floor)

Why would you take Ullmark when you can have 3 of the guys listed above, especially when you'll be sharing an AHL team.

I'm taking Pickard, Grubauer, and Raanta and maybe a Subban or Dansk and then flipping one of them for more picks in the draft.  Ullmark doesn't even enter my mind.

I'd be interested to know what other skaters for these teams would be available for Vegas to choose from. While I wouldn't say Ullmark is the best player available for the Sabres he may be the most attractive. Also, talks of Vegas reaching the cap floor I feel are irrelevant. Every team has a player on a terrible contract fans are hoping they'll take to "reach the floor". That won't be a problem.

Also, the proposal made by Wookie is a nonsensical pipe-dream. Why would Vegas agree to taking 3 players from one of the worst teams in the league? The point is to build a strong team, not stock yourself full of losers and under-achievers. Also keep in mind they still have another 29 players on top of that to select. I can see Vegas making "arrangements" to stock up on draft picks and not much else. The more darts you throw the more bulls-eyes you're bound to hit.

I think we're going to end up giving LV either our extra 2nd or 3rd round pick in exchange to have them take Moulson off our hands. He can provide veteran leadership and could be used properly over there.

Does anyone know if there is a "trade-freeze" once the protection lists are submitted? What if a team submits a list and then makes a trade with a team not named Las Vegas? Would they then have to submit a new list?

Raanta,  28, 2,27 & .922

Mazanec, 25, 2.65 & .912

I don't know if this was previously said in this thread but i think you're on the right track with Grubauer. McPhee drafted him and its been said he's always been super high on him.

I have a source that says Vegas will attempt to sign Dmitri Kulikov during the FA negotiation window before the draft.... he would then become their pick from BUF.   

Do you mean real source or are you just speculating? I am not trying to be a dick I just wanted to understand where you got the info from a little better. 

It would make sense for Vegas to try and sign Kulikov but I am unsure if Kulikov would sign in Vegas. 

Do you mean real source or are you just speculating? I am not trying to be a dick I just wanted to understand where you got the info from a little better. 

It would make sense for Vegas to try and sign Kulikov but I am unsure if Kulikov would sign in Vegas. 

I heard this from a friend that works in the Ducks organization.    I'm not sure how he knows this, but anyway, it's what it is. 

But yeah, it doesn't really mean anything unless Kulikov is also interested... which is an uknown.    Personally, I think it would be a good fit and place for him to regain his footing possibly.

If you're an Anaheim GM -- do the long-term injuries to Vatanen and Lindholm shuffle your plans on the expansion draft at all? They'll be back fairly early next season -- but are you now looking to trade one of them, re-sign Fowler, and protect a younger or different player?

Darth, sorry I missed this one, but the injuries to Lindholm and Vatanen have to have a huge impact on Ana decision making.  I was reading today that Vatanen will be out for months. However, I still think Ana avoids most of their expansion issue by buying out Bieksa before the expansion draft.

Darth, sorry I missed this one, but the injuries to Lindholm and Vatanen have to have a huge impact on Ana decision making.  I was reading today that Vatanen will be out for months. However, I still think Ana avoids most of their expansion issue by buying out Bieksa before the expansion draft.

I don't think the LIndholm and Vatanen situation will impact their decision making... those guys (and Fowler) are staying put as far as I've been told.    Theodore, Manson, Montour are in play but they don't plan on losing more than one from that group.

I have a source that says Vegas will attempt to sign Dmitri Kulikov during the FA negotiation window before the draft.... he would then become their pick from BUF.

Makes a lot of sense to me given their other choices are a goalie prospect or a big salary.

I don't think the LIndholm and Vatanen situation will impact their decision making... those guys (and Fowler) are staying put as far as I've been told.    Theodore, Manson, Montour are in play but they don't plan on losing more than one from that group.

If that's from your source, thats good news and we are in an excellent position to make a deal for Manson prior to the expansion draft.

Everything I've read seem to indicate he would not be exposed, but it has admittedly all been speculation.

Makes a lot of sense to me given their other choices are a goalie prospect or a big salary.

If that's from your source, thats good news and we are in an excellent position to make a deal for Manson prior to the expansion draft.

Everything I've read seem to indicate he would not be exposed, but it has admittedly all been speculation.

I thought Manson was one of their better players in the playoffs.  He is an RFA and won't cost nearly as much to re-sign as they are paying Vatanen.  

I thought Manson was one of their better players in the playoffs.  He is an RFA and won't cost nearly as much to re-sign as they are paying Vatanen.  

Montour, Theodore, and Manson won't be RFAs until after next season.    They simply can't protected all of them in the expansion draft, and certainly won't be able to resign all of them next offseason when they're already giving $14m to Fowler, Vatanen, and Lindholm.   

Montour, Theodore, and Manson won't be RFAs until after next season.    They simply can't protected all of them in the expansion draft, and certainly won't be able to resign all of them next offseason when they're already giving $14m to Fowler, Vatanen, and Lindholm.   

I forgot that Manson still had a year left.  Manson is the only one available in expansion.  Theodore and Montour are on their ELCs and are exempt.  I agree they won't be able to re-sign all the kids (they have Larsson coming up as well), which is why I thought Vatanen was the odd man out until he got hurt.  In fact, I thought they'd move Vatanen to save cap and to protect Manson.

I think Ana wants to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1 because they need to protect both Rakell and Silfversberg.  If they buy out Bieska (thereby getting rid of his NMC), they can protect Manson, Lindholm and Fowler, protect 7 forwards and then trade Vatanen to us.  I think his injury might change this scenario.  Also if they do the above, they need to acquire someone like Falk from us to satisfy their D exposure needs.  The other issue is that Bieksa is 35 and therefore would get all his salary, not just 2/3rds

Edited by GASabresFan

How does that work if Kuli is a pending UFA?  I thought that Vegas had added time to sign UFA's.  What would their incentive be for giving up a pick they don't have to?

How does that work if Kuli is a pending UFA? I thought that Vegas had added time to sign UFA's. What would their incentive be for giving up a pick they don't have to?

It's not giving up a pick. It would become their expansion draft pick from Buffalo. Of course, they could just officially announce it after the draft and get 2 players from Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.