Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

Hallmark may not be taken, depends on the needs of last Vegas, salary cap or otherwise. Thank God vogl isn't our GM, protecting Ennis over girgs is idiotic as is protecting BOGO over a bag of pucks. He claims he's protecting BOGO due to depth. Well, clear 5.3m off my cap and I'll find a way to get depth. Plain stupid. You could sign 2 UFA dman for the price of BOGO and they wouldn't suck as bad as him. Vogl didn't even mention you can have side deals with Las Vegas. Why not offer them a 3rd rounder to take either BOGO or Moulsen?? They need to take on a ton of cap money anyway

There is another young RD that might come available in expansion who could be an interesting pickup is Fla's Alex Petrovic. He is big, has decent possession numbers, is mobile and kills penalties. Sounds like a perfect 3rd pairing guy for us.

Murray mentioned today that McPhee owes him a favor. He said something like (paraphrasing): "Maybe i've done a deal in the past with George, maybe I've had a conversation with him reminding him of that and he remembered the wordage of that deal word for word, which I was very happy to hear"

'Firstborn for Moulson and Ennis?'

Murray mentioned today that McPhee owes him a favor. He said something like (paraphrasing): "Maybe i've done a deal in the past with George, maybe I've had a conversation with him reminding him of that and he remembered the wordage of that deal word for word, which I was very happy to hear"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtpWgrhS78

Halak and a third for Neuvirth and Klesla is the only deal they've ever made, unless he's referring to something he did as an assistant GM. Klesla had been acquired just a day earlier by the Caps and never played a game for them. He quit hockey rather than report to Buffalo, so I guess you could certainly call Klesla a favour.

It would be interesting in a poll to see how we all feel about who should be protected, who will be selected and who we want to be selected.

For example:  

7-3-1 ROR, Okposo, Foligno, Carrier, Girgensons, Larsson and Kane; McCabe, Risto and Bogo; Lehner - 

LV takes Ullmark selected

Moulson is the guy I wanted selected

It would be interesting in a poll to see how we all feel about who should be protected, who will be selected and who we want to be selected.

For example:  

7-3-1 ROR, Okposo, Foligno, Carrier, Girgensons, Larsson and Kane; McCabe, Risto and Bogo; Lehner - 

LV takes Ullmark selected

Moulson is the guy I wanted selected

Good idea. I doubt many (other than a few hardcore bunkerites) will disagree with your protected list.

I hope they acquire another D that forces them to expose Bogo and that he gets picked.

Other than that, Moulson or Ennis is fine. I guess Ennis because I like both guys and being moved would be better for him than Matt.

Matt is the guy I now think will be picked. Same reason we got him: good dude to ride shotgun with their younger players; can still produce on the PP; could be a tradeable asset at the deadline if he's scoring, or to a floor team in the summer if he's not. McPhee likes him; Murray might sweeten the deal.

I think Ullmark is the best player available, but I don't think Vegas will pick him unless they are doing it to trade him.

Too many better goalies available.

Edited by dudacek

Halak and a third for Neuvirth and Klesla is the only deal they've ever made, unless he's referring to something he did as an assistant GM. Klesla had been acquired just a day earlier by the Caps and never played a game for them. He quit hockey rather than report to Buffalo, so I guess you could certainly call Klesla a favour.

I found the quotevery interesting and agree, the Halak trade was the logical situation GMTM was referring to.  Not sure if it was taking Klesla or finding a way to get the Caps Halak via St Louis, either way, there is a favor owed and acknowledgment to that end.

I think the expansion draft and the behind the scenes negotiating will be fascinating.

Do all the GM's see the unprotected lists, I know they are not made public, but, I assume all GM's will have access to those.

I found the quotevery interesting and agree, the Halak trade was the logical situation GMTM was referring to.  Not sure if it was taking Klesla or finding a way to get the Caps Halak via St Louis, either way, there is a favor owed and acknowledgment to that end.

I think the expansion draft and the behind the scenes negotiating will be fascinating.

Do all the GM's see the unprotected lists, I know they are not made public, but, I assume all GM's will have access to those.

More source tells me there's no way they can keep the protected lists from going public.   

Honestly, Vegas taking Ulmark (which I still think is a very remote possibility) might not be a bad thing. Sounds like Peterson is very hesitant about signing with the Sabres due to their goalie depth and ages. The more I read about it, sounds like we can only have two from Lehner, Ulmark and Peterson.

Last time I heard, only the LV gm will knows the protected list giving him an extrem advantage in trading with other GM's and making offers.

This offseason is going to be fun :D

To me, the question over protection of either girgs and Larsson comes down to : who would be more valuable in the playoffs? From a subjective opinion Larssons game /persona seems it would translate much more impact fully than girgs. His line with Foligno and gionta could had been a very good second line on a tank team And very solid fourth line on a contender. I just think Larsson is defensively minded enough to play a much more needed role. Don't get me wrong I love girgs but if his trade value also may be slightly higher. I think if I was gm I would find a team that wants him before the draft for as best assets as possible . I would then use those assets, possibly additional assets, and flip bogo to a team that can't hold on to their d. Just a thought . Id hate to lose him for nothing, and another team may see upside. With Rodriquez solidifying a role for dirt cheap at center, and because girgs is really only effective at center, I think it makes sense. Edit: this may be harder than it sounds because the new team would have to decide whether to protect bogo- they're not gonna take him and lose him. His cap hit is the only concern. There has to be ONE team out there that would trade a Lh top4 d for bogo and assets / girgs. I wouldn't mind parting a non lottery 1st (weak draft class) bogo girgs and a promising b level prospect for a top 4 d. Would just be hard to flip bogo to a team that could lose a d.

Edited by BuffaloBorn

To me, the question over protection of either girgs and Larsson comes down to : who would be more valuable in the playoffs? From a subjective opinion Larssons game /persona seems it would translate much more impact fully than girgs. His line with Foligno and gionta could had been a very good second line on a tank team And very solid fourth line on a contender. I just think Larsson is defensively minded enough to play a much more needed role. Don't get me wrong I love girgs but if his trade value also may be slightly higher. I think if I was gm I would find a team that wants him before the draft for as best assets as possible . I would then use those assets, possibly additional assets, and flip bogo to a team that can't hold on to their d. Just a thought . Id hate to lose him for nothing, and another team may see upside. With Rodriquez solidifying a role for dirt cheap at center, and because girgs is really only effective at center, I think it makes sense. Edit: this may be harder than it sounds because the new team would have to decide whether to protect bogo- they're not gonna take him and lose him. His cap hit is the only concern. There has to be ONE team out there that would trade a Lh top4 d for bogo and assets / girgs. I wouldn't mind parting a non lottery 1st (weak draft class) bogo girgs and a promising b level prospect for a top 4 d. Would just be hard to flip bogo to a team that could lose a d.

Interesting thoughts on keeping Larsson over Girgensons. It's very like moot though as of the F's that aren't exempt from the Vrgas draft, the Sabres only have 7 worth protecting & they are both in that group.

Interesting thoughts on keeping Larsson over Girgensons. It's very like moot though as of the F's that aren't exempt from the Vrgas draft, the Sabres only have 7 worth protecting & they are both in that group.

I agree. Now that Eichel and Reinhart will be getting new deals soon we should prioritize keeping the younger cheaper players like Girgensons and Larsoon and expose the players who get paid more than they should based on production such as Ennis, Moulson, and Gorges.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.