Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

This same stunt, meaning college free agent going on to a great career?

Adam Oates comes to mind.

I don't know the story of Adam Oates. Did he hit free agency as a result of refusing to sign with the team who drafted him? Did he have an arm's length list of demands for teams looking to sign him?

Edit: at least from reading Wiki, looks likes a completely different situation. He wasn't drafted, but was a true FA. And the place he signed was likely motivated by money. $1.1 million 4 year contract in 1985 was likely a lot of money for a rookie back then.

Edited by kas23

They will gladly welcome that youth too. Seems like his perfect fit for contract #2

It seems the opposite to me - a poor fit for contract 2. They already have big money tied up in their top 4. Panarin is likely next in line. He gets an immediate opportunity to win a cup, which would be attractive, but a big money contract is more likely with another team.

It seems the opposite to me - a poor fit for contract 2. They already have big money tied up in their top 4. Panarin is likely next in line. He gets an immediate opportunity to win a cup, which would be attractive, but a big money contract is more likely with another team.

I may be wrong on this, but when his ELC runs out I believe he'll be an UFA because of his age. He won't have to stay w/ the team that signs him on or shortly after August 15th. 

What about time on the PP unit? Anyone think there's a shot in hell CHI or PIT places him on their PP?

Look at our roster. At best he'd be on the #2 unit here. We mmay not be what he considers the perfect fit either. He'll have competition for 2nd line here.

I may be wrong on this, but when his ELC runs out I believe he'll be an UFA because of his age. He won't have to stay w/ the team that signs him on or shortly after August 15th. 

He'd be a Group 2 RFA, can't be a UFA unless you've got 3 pro years in (and even then there's a cap on the number of games you can play).  Which kind of makes his choice of team now a bigger deal.

If he doesn't sign contract this week, I doubt he ends up in Buffalo and I think the Sabres should shop his rights to another team and simply move on.

I like the thought of adding a legit mid-1st rounder to the assets we have.  If he signs, I think being Jack's LW is his to lose, but, I don't think it's a given, nor should it be.  I think Sabres will also look at Girgs and Ennis for that slot and I'm not sure this kid is a huge upgrade over either of those two, except it does give GMTM more assets to trade if Vesey pans out.

I don't like the delay, I think it does in some ways speak to Vesey's passion to be here, in Buffalo.  I get why he is doing it, and don't necessarily fault him, but, if he was pre-sold on Buffalo, he should have signed or sign quickly this week and get to development camp to start earning his spot on team.

Why does everyone think he should have already signed when he hasn't gotten to even talk with anyone yet? If the Sabres really want him to sign before 8/15 they should at least let him talk to other teams after they make their pitch.

Make your pitch, give him permission to talk with everyone else then bring him back in amd see if he'll sign here. If he won't then figure out if he's leaning towards a certain team and see if you can get a 3rd back from that team. If he's truly undecided let him wait and see if any team wants his rights to negotiate until 8/15. If not just wait and see what happens.

Exactly, this kid does not seem to give a crap about where he plays for his second contract as long as it is Big Money

Why does everyone think he should have already signed when he hasn't gotten to even talk with anyone yet? If the Sabres really want him to sign before 8/15 they should at least let him talk to other teams after they make their pitch.

Make your pitch, give him permission to talk with everyone else then bring him back in amd see if he'll sign here. If he won't then figure out if he's leaning towards a certain team and see if you can get a 3rd back from that team. If he's truly undecided let him wait and see if any team wants his rights to negotiate until 8/15. If not just wait and see what happens.

This a great plan. Let him give you his 2 favorite teams. Ones that he would definitely sign with if traded to them. Then offer both teams his rights. Ask for a conditional 1st if he signs with them and nothing if he doesn't. Someone will pony up.

This thread is like the island of misfit opinions.

Even yours? Ohhhhhh...

You and Smell can stop being so high and mighty.

The Sabres traded a third-round pick because they believed they could sign this entitled little Ivy League crotch turd on July 1 (why not earlier?) It didn't work out. People should be upset with Murray and/or Baron Von Douchehausen.

Lot of angst tied to a third-round pick and/or kid that seems to be doing exactly what he can do according to the CBA and has said he would do since May. Entitled crotch turd? He may very well be exactly that, but I haven't seen the evidence.

To answer the first question: people think he could have signed because it's realistic for players who have their rights traded to sign with that team before they reach the open market. It's not an exact comparison, but look no further than Yandle and Goligoski, this offseason. They could have gone to the open market, maybe gotten more money, but they didn't wait until July 1. They signed with the team their rights were traded to. It does happen.

I get the idea that Vesey has the right to wait, it's in the CBA, he didn't ask to be traded. No ill will, here. But the fact is, he could have signed here already. Murray must have thought that a decent possibility because he traded for his rights. Because of this, it just logically seems unlikely to me that he'll sign with us, when he's had every opportunity to and hasn't. Not saying he won't, but I'm not betting on it. Just my guess/reading of the situation.

PA is right that if anyone is to fault, it's Murray. But I'm not going to fault him, as it was a chance taken with only a 3rd round pick. It's not a big deal. Probably worth the risk.

Maybe he can ship his rights out for a pick now, absolutely no reason to keep his rights after the conversation supposedly taking place this week, if he's definitely going to UFA.

Edited by Thorny

I think that some find it a bit unusual and possibly something worse for a young player with no NHL experience trying to receive guarantees as to the line he would play on and power play time to maximize the value of his next contract.  Layer in some of the things that were said by the Nashville GM when Vesey opted not to sign, and there are some legitimate concerns, even if he is well within his rights according to the CBA.

I understand that this type of situation is not particularly common, but I think Vesey would have been better served to just let his agent do the talking during this period.

Edited by jahnyc

Even yours? Ohhhhhh...

You and Smell can stop being so high and mighty.

The Sabres traded a third-round pick because they believed they could sign this entitled little Ivy League crotch turd on July 1 (why not earlier?) It didn't work out. People should be upset with Murray and/or Baron Von Douchehausen.

I got upset over a 3rd round pick at the draft. 1 hour later I was over it. I'm not going to get upset over this 3rd if he didn't sign. So no I "shouldn't be upset" over losing a 3rd round pick. That is laughable.

This board giving so many over a 3rd round pick is hilarious. He doesn't since, that sucks but with our lw depth I'm not losing sleep. Dear god.

A lot of what is on these boards is speculation, but, while I want the Sabres to sign him, I'd want it just like i'd want them to sign ANY Player that is seemed-to-be considered at mid 1st round talent.  HOWEVER, did anyone ever go back a few years and look at most of the forwards drafted in the middle of the first round?  A lot of players not in the NHL anymore...some career AHLers, and a LOT Of 3rd and 4th line players.

So if it doesn't cost you anything to sign him..sure, it would be great for what he MIGHT become, but if part of signing him is a promise of power play time and top 6 line time...I'm not sure if I even want that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.