Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Have any of these big college FAs who left the team who drafted the to seek out a better opportunity amounto to anything NHL Wise? Schultz was one of the last ones I remember and hemiss pretty much a bust, then there was the kid Chicago had that left to the Rangers iirc....

Blake Wheeler skipped out on Phoenix. He was drafted 5th overall by the Coyotes in 2004. Signed w/ Boston in 2008. He's played well in the NHL. Primarily w/ Winnipeg. 

Edited by GoPre

OK, so one, although I don't know if wheeler has playedone to a level where he deserves to be calling the shots and being handed a top 6 role without proving himself in the league. Both Nashville and Buffalo have told him they were going to have him in their top 6

Unfortunately it's not all the players fault, the CBA gives them the ability, and GMs will fall over themselves to sign them thinking they may get a hidden gem

Edited by apuszczalowski

Okay I'll be the trend setter here. I'm to the point with all this that I could care less. If he signs fine and if he doesn't I don't care. Life goes on and a college hockey prospect isn't worth all this bs frankly.

When all these team reps and G.M.s get a hold of this kid and start giving him the big sell I'm betting he goes back to what he knows which is Bawsten and the Bruins. Sucks to be us but family is important to him and having them close means something. Lets hope Eichs influence makes an impression on him and he signs here but why get worked up to be let down.

When all these team reps and G.M.s get a hold of this kid and start giving him the big sell I'm betting he goes back to what he knows which is Bawsten and the Bruins. Sucks to be us but family is important to him and having them close means something. Lets hope Eichs influence makes an impression on him and he signs here but why get worked up to be let down.

I've read where some people have advised him that playing for the home town fans can be a real curse if you fail to meet expectations. Family is all well and good, but the home town fans that razz you while you're out shopping can make it a pain in the ass for them as well. 

GO SABRES!!!

Okay I'll be the trend setter here. I'm to the point with all this that I could care less. If he signs fine and if he doesn't I don't care. Life goes on and a college hockey prospect isn't worth all this bs frankly.

Ding ding ding. I've officially soured on him. I can't tell if he's overconfident or so lacking in confidence that he has to find the perfect fit. It feels like he's cutting ahead in line. How about going somewhere and doing what practically every NHL player has ever done: prove you can play and earn your spot. And before you do that, shut up. Stop doing interviews. This kid is ridic.

I'm there with ya, the process burned me out

I just can't get excited about this one way or the other. He can be a UFA if he wants to. If he were truly the can't miss prospect a good percentage of this board seem to be convinced he is, well, his pro future would have been much clearer years ago.

He might come into a team an do a job, might not. Could possibly be a star, not outside of theoretical possibility, but still....

You're not getting anything in that situation. The winning team has no incentive to pay. I suggested giving him a week window to talk to anyone but not sign. If he doesn't hear what he wants he signs here if he does move on. There is no incentive on his part or need on any teams part to move today other than fan paranoia. He isn't going to dev camp and camp doesn't open til September. Murray must operate like he doesn't exist.

With that said I am not sure I am interested in him as much as I was. His actions seem like some sort of "statement " that serves no purpose. If this is like Stamkos where he wants to see the color of the grass on the other side, but still staying home, I still don't quite get it. After Friday the picture is much clearer and there probably won't be landscape changing moves between now and 8/15.

I am not quite to pi level, but I think he may be overplaying the situation.

Good post.

I'm done considering where he'll be on our roster.

This is the main thing. Before it seemed that acquiring his rights was giving us an above average chance of signing him. In actually he's seemingly nothing more to us than a UFA, there is a chance he'll sign here, nothing more. It can be argued that there's atleast a chance it's slightly less likely, as while he's perfectly within his rights to wait it out to free agency, I suspect (purely opinion) that depending on the individual, a lot of players would be enticed to sign before FA if they had true interest in the team that had their rights, and was being actively recruited by that team. He doesn't have to sign now, but a lot of players in his place, with solid interest in the Sabres, probably would.

No angst here. But no sense pencilling him in to lineups at this time. (Which I did, in the lineup thread, but I'll focus on the second one I posted, that didn't include him)

This is the modern news cycle in a nutshell: Sabre fans can turn on a potentially useful player before he even signs with the team because he's exercising a right under the CBA and responding to some media inquiries about his plans. FFS.

I'm sure some of that is happening, but I think a lot are just rationalizing the fact that what was once seen as a likely addition, was actually always nothing more than a chance. So there's some detachment going on, which is understandable I think.

But specific judgements on his character do seem extremely premature.

Edited by Thorny

This is the modern news cycle in a nutshell: Sabre fans can turn on a potentially useful player before he even signs with the team because he's exercising a right under the CBA and responding to some media inquiries about his plans. FFS.

Yep. All the jack holes that jumped on Vesey as if he were signed, sealed and deliverd are the same posters that have made him the devil reincarnate. Find your chill people. People acting like petulant children who had their binkie taken away.

I'm sure some of that is happening, but I think a lot are just rationalizing the fact that what was once seen as a likely addition, was actually always nothing more than a chance. So there's some detachment going on, which is understandable I think.

But specific judgements on his character do seem extremely premature.

Herein lies the rub. He has never been a likely addition. It was percieved that way by folks who didn't understand the situation. I wanted to slap everyone in their fat faces.

He's good friends with eichel and play on the same summer league team ffs. When Murray traded for him I think it's logical to have assumed Murray has spoken with eichel and there's a good shot he would sign. I was borderline shocked when they kept insisting on going to market August 15th. Then the agent sends the email claiming they're open to anything and I think ok it was a ploy to ensure no tampering. Now it sounds like he is going to market again.

Based on the criteria listed and being buddies with eichel how does Buffalo not provide the best fit? Open top 6 spot? Check. Close to home but not in that market? Check. Playing for a team on the rise and superstar owners? Check. Worried about ur second contract? Biggest check as u will likely be playing with the last two years second overall phenoms. Where or what is the issue here?

He's good friends with eichel and play on the same summer league team ffs. When Murray traded for him I think it's logical to have assumed Murray has spoken with eichel and there's a good shot he would sign. I was borderline shocked when they kept insisting on going to market August 15th. Then the agent sends the email claiming they're open to anything and I think ok it was a ploy to ensure no tampering. Now it sounds like he is going to market again.

Based on the criteria listed and being buddies with eichel how does Buffalo not provide the best fit? Open top 6 spot? Check. Close to home but not in that market? Check. Playing for a team on the rise and superstar owners? Check. Worried about ur second contract? Biggest check as u will likely be playing with the last two years second overall ###### phenoms. Where or what is the issue here?

It's worth noting that Vesey's comments were from Wednesday night, whereas his agent's comments were Friday morning.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

57788d489b9b1.png

:lol:

Based on the criteria listed and being buddies with eichel how does Buffalo not provide the best fit? Open top 6 spot? Check. Close to home but not in that market? Check. Playing for a team on the rise and superstar owners? Check. Worried about ur second contract? Biggest check as u will likely be playing with the last two years second overall ###### phenoms. Where or what is the issue here?

JUMP-TO-CONCLUSIONS-MAT.jpg?itok=zg2v5lq

You guys keep talking about tampering as if there's a possibility it could be an issue after a team gives up assets (asset, whatever) to obtain a pending UFA's rights....

It has nothing to do with what's happened since we acquired his rights, and everything to do with why he (allegedly) reneged on his verbal agreement to sign with Nashville.

It's worth noting that Vesey's comments were from Wednesday night, whereas his agent's comments were Friday morning.

Well that's interesting then, did not know that. I guess I'll just hope Murray and the pegulas play their cards right at the meeting this week. To me it just feels like one minute the logic behind the signing makes too much sense for it not to happen. Then ice water gets thrown on it. I'm impatient damit!!

um, okay. Not stepping any further into that imaginary minefield.

Vesey tells them he's signing. Then he tells them he's not, and insists publicly and privately he wants to go to free agency. Then his rights are traded here, and he instantly signs the moment he can. That doesn't at least raise an eyebrow? I'd expect Nashville would give tampering charges some thought. Doubt it'd amount to anything, but there's no reason to expose yourself to possible sanction (to say nothing of any effect on reputation) if you don't have to.

Vesey tells them he's signing. Then he tells them he's not, and insists publicly and privately he wants to go to free agency. Then his rights are traded here, and he instantly signs the moment he can. That doesn't at least raise an eyebrow? I'd expect Nashville would give tampering charges some thought. Doubt it'd amount to anything, but there's no reason to expose yourself to possible sanction (to say nothing of any effect on reputation) if you don't have to.

Nashville getting a third, which was their original investment would be enough to keep them quiet imo. I don't think there is any tampering involved with this. Just a guy looking to max out on his situation and maybe just maybe, not having a freaking clue about how to steer his life at this point in time. I don't know what else to make of it really. If I were him, I would have been playing in the playoffs in a top six position for Nashville.

It was good for J P Dumont so it should be good enough for anyone. Man I miss that guy. Wonder what the hell ever happened to him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.