Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Yep. All the jack holes that jumped on Vesey as if he were signed, sealed and deliverd are the same posters that have made him the devil reincarnate. Find your chill people. People acting like petulant children who had their binkie taken away.

Herein lies the rub. He has never been a likely addition. It was percieved that way by folks who didn't understand the situation. I wanted to slap everyone in their fat faces.

Ya that's what I was trying to get at. He was always only ever a "chance", but it was perceived to be a likely signing, particularly because there was a ton of media saying just that.

I admit to being pretty confident that he was going to sign, and promptly. Needed to take a step back to accept that it's only a possiblily. For all intents and purposes he's a UFA, and there's no reason to see him as anything but that.

Edited by Thorny

Yep. All the jack holes that jumped on Vesey as if he were signed, sealed and deliverd are the same posters that have made him the devil reincarnate. Find your chill people. People acting like petulant children who had their binkie taken away.

Herein lies the rub. He has never been a likely addition. It was percieved that way by folks who didn't understand the situation. I wanted to slap everyone in their fat faces.

Talk about needing to find your chill. Most people here are raising concerns about the character, not the process. If you can't see why some would be concerned about a kid who has never played an NHL game, yet is courting each team in the NHL in search of his most lucrative second contract, then you are being willfully ignorant and/or in a crappy mood.

I'm just going to follow what his agent told on friday, that they'll talk after the weekend and they are open to anything.

Some rehashed tweet from a boston journalist really means little to me after that.   Sure he is an UFA but I think we got 40 % shot at him signing with us.

This is the modern news cycle in a nutshell: Sabre fans can turn on a potentially useful player before he even signs with the team because he's exercising a right under the CBA and responding to some media inquiries about his plans. FFS.

A quote from the Boston Globe non-the-less... We have no idea the context to which he said it. It could have been referring to his past stance. He'll sign with the Sabres for all the reasons Okposo signed. A team that is ready to contend, a great hockey city, and a great owner.

Buffalo checks all the boxes on that list, if he chooses to play here fantastic, if not the Sabres have done everything they possibly could to get him here.

Yep, and using one of four third round picks is certainly worth the risk, and pretty much necessary if we were to have any chance at all because.....

So Murray calculated the situation perfectly and still spent a pick to do something he could have done on August 15 for free? I don't get it. I'm pretty sure at this point Murray needs a chill pill too.

Talk about needing to find your chill. Most people here are raising concerns about the character, not the process. If you can't see why some would be concerned about a kid who has never played an NHL game, yet is courting each team in the NHL in search of his most lucrative second contract, then you are being willfully ignorant and/or in a crappy mood.

:worthy:

Vesey clock: 14:59

Question his character all you want, i just never understood the insistence that he's signing here.

So Murray calculated the situation perfectly and still spent a pick to do something he could have done on August 15 for free? I don't get it. I'm pretty sure at this point Murray needs a chill pill too.

Its worth the near worthless pick to see if you can get a leg up on the competition

Vesey signing here because we have exclusive negotiating rights for 2 months = something north of 0%.

Vesey singing here if we waited to 8/15 with everyone else = 0%.

I just can't get excited about this one way or the other. He can be a UFA if he wants to. If he were truly the can't miss prospect a good percentage of this board seem to be convinced he is, well, his pro future would have been much clearer years ago.

He might come into a team an do a job, might not. Could possibly be a star, not outside of theoretical possibility, but still....

His pro future has been pretty clear since the start of his Junior year at Harvard. The reason he isn't in the NHL is because he wanted a degree from Harvard. He wasn't going to get that degree until late May, something Nashville knew since last summer. Obviously that contradicts their plans for him to be on the roster for last playoffs. 

If you (or anyone on this board) had the opportunity to not only get a degree from Harvard but by attaining said degree you then got to pick your next employer, would you take the degree (from Harvard) and the job options or would you go right to the NHL?

People here are questioning the character of a man who made it clear from the get-go that he was going to get a complete Harvard education, the Preds should have taken that into account in 2012 during their draft interview. Or maybe they and everyone else did and that's why he went in the third round. 

This entire (board) saga is getting ridiculous. Vesey will be a Sabre.

Edited by IrwinNelson

The fact that he stayed in school and is using the opportunity he now has to sign wherever he wants isn't a negative against him personally. He can do what he wants.

All I'm trying to say is maybe don't be surprised when he finally does show up, wherever that may be, and isn't immediately a Hart Trophy candidate.

The fact that he stayed in school and is using the opportunity he now has to sign wherever he wants isn't a negative against him personally. He can do what he wants.

All I'm trying to say is maybe don't be surprised when he finally does show up, wherever that may be, and isn't immediately a Hart Trophy candidate.

His taking advantage of his rights under the CBA isn't the problem. The problem for me is some of the details of what he's looking for in a team. Does he really have the chops to demand/expect such things? Smell might be right. Maybe this is the way it's always been, but we know about it now because of the media environment we live in. We find out things and draw conclusions in record time. I suspect Vesey is playing a game his predecessors are not familiar with. Hell, I bet some of his contemporaries want to punch him in the face right about now.

After all this hype, he ll probably be average.

I have the same thought/fear.

From all that I have read, listened to, remember hearing on Canadian radio stations about him before Buffalo was even in the mix..etc...is that this is a kid who MIGHT, EVENTUALLY touch 30 goals in a year for a max ceiling...it is likely he'd be a 18-24 goal guy....but there is also a chance he might be just a decent 10-15 goal a year 3rd line guy.  Those exact words were not spoken by anyone I heard or read in any order, but that is the strong impression I get from putting everything I've heard about him together over the last year.

So, what does that make him?  I guess talent-wise what you would expect from a mid 1st round to early 2nd round guy (many of which don't stick around in the NHL that long).  So do I want the Sabres to sign him? Sure, if for only the chance he ends up being that 20-30 goal guy.  But I think it is a better chance he ends up being just an average-to-good 3rd line talent.

His pro future has been pretty clear since the start of his Junior year at Harvard. The reason he isn't in the NHL is because he wanted a degree from Harvard. He wasn't going to get that degree until late May, something Nashville knew since last summer. Obviously that contradicts their plans for him to be on the roster for last playoffs. 

If you (or anyone on this board) had the opportunity to not only get a degree from Harvard but by attaining said degree you then got to pick your next employer, would you take the degree (from Harvard) and the job options or would you go right to the NHL?

People here are questioning the character of a man who made it clear from the get-go that he was going to get a complete Harvard education, the Preds should have taken that into account in 2012 during their draft interview. Or maybe they and everyone else did and that's why he went in the third round. 

This entire (board) saga is getting ridiculous. Vesey will be a Sabre.

He might be, but there's is at least as good of a chance, if not better, that he's not. He's a free agent. If it was a certainty, he would have signed already. It's the assumption he'd definitely be signing that fed into this whole board kerfuffle in the first place.

I have the same thought/fear.

From all that I have read, listened to, remember hearing on Canadian radio stations about him before Buffalo was even in the mix..etc...is that this is a kid who MIGHT, EVENTUALLY touch 30 goals in a year for a max ceiling...it is likely he'd be a 18-24 goal guy....but there is also a chance he might be just a decent 10-15 goal a year 3rd line guy.  Those exact words were not spoken by anyone I heard or read in any order, but that is the strong impression I get from putting everything I've heard about him together over the last year.

So, what does that make him?  I guess talent-wise what you would expect from a mid 1st round to early 2nd round guy (many of which don't stick around in the NHL that long).  So do I want the Sabres to sign him? Sure, if for only the chance he ends up being that 20-30 goal guy.  But I think it is a better chance he ends up being just an average-to-good 3rd line talent.

I don't care to hear about the contract wheeling and dealing of this Eric Lindros-without-portfolio. He's totally unproven at the NHL level. At 23, he hasn't taken an NHL shift or even made an NHL team. Some players starting at 18 would already be in their fifth year. Oh, and he's demanding a spot on the second line and the power play. I wonder if he expects to play this year? I don't care if he's from Harvard. His contract demands (he also dissed Nashville) and his imaginary demands of a second contract is immature, entitled and in prima dona territory.  I doubt he's anywhere near worth what he thinks he is.

Edited by Marvelo

As much as I want him on the roster if he signs with someone like Chicago or a cup contender I will be pissed. Don't get me wrong I get it but I think he would get the most out of teams who are still rebuilding who can place him in that top 6 role and power play guy. Buffalo needs to go to Boston with Murray, Coach Byslma, and the Pegula's and get this done and if nothing comes out of it then he can #uck off.

As much as I want him on the roster if he signs with someone like Chicago or a cup contender I will be pissed. Don't get me wrong I get it but I think he would get the most out of teams who are still rebuilding who can place him in that top 6 role and power play guy. Buffalo needs to go to Boston with Murray, Coach Byslma, and the Pegula's and get this done and if nothing comes out of it then he can #uck off.

If Vesey is serious about his checklist, he will not be going to Chicago. Not a chance he'll crack their top 6 or be on the first power play. The only contender I think Vesey would consider is Pittsburgh.

There should be a rule that instead of being a UFA in August, he should've been put back into the draft.

Isn't that rule in the NFL? If a player doesn't report to the team that drafted him, he has to sit out an entire season before going back to the draft. Don't see players doing that in NFL simply because they know their stock will drop.

When the hell did your avatar get Leafs pants

Miss the avatar w/ no Leafs pants? lol 

Vesey will be signing with BUF - anything he or agent has said is posturing. I know is entry level contract is set at $925k but there are variables such as bonus structure, top 6 possibilities etc. He is playing for his 2nd contract and there still is a glaring hole on the eichel/reinhart line. There's probably not a better situation in the NHL. He's visiting Buffalo this week, don't be surprised if he signs. There's things to lose for Vesey if he waits to 8/15 - what if he really likes Buf but tells them he is waiting until 8/15. Sabres then trade for Nash and Vesey's top 6 opportunity with Buffalo goes away.

Edited by ct fab

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.