Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

It's pretty hard to argue that Okposo isn't market value.

$6 million AAV makes him the 13th highest paid wing in the league, tied with Hall, Lucic, Eberle, Erikson and Saad, all of whom save Hall are good comparables.

The next group below them is Sharp, Callahan, Brown, Steen, Radulov and Skinner, all of whom are inferior players.

Above is Sedin, Ryan, Nash, Kessel and Parise, who all make between $7 and 8 per.

Okposo also made it very clear that he targeted Buffalo.

It's pretty hard to argue that Okposo isn't market value.

$6 million AAV makes him the 13th highest paid wing in the league, tied with Hall, Lucic, Eberle, Erikson and Saad, all of whom save Hall are good comparables.

The next group below them is Sharp, Callahan, Brown, Steen, Radulov and Skinner, all of whom are inferior players.

Above is Sedin, Ryan, Nash, Kessel and Parise, who all make between $7 and 8 per.

Okposo also made it very clear that he targeted Buffalo.

I would target Buffalo to they had plenty of cap space available

Calgary has one offensive line, which contains a PPG dynamic winger. I'd eat my hat if O'Reilly didn't get SUBSTANTIALLY tougher minutes and zone starts. While dragging people like McGinn and Deslauriers and Foligno half the season. Monahan is great, but he's not on ROR's level in any aspect of the game right now, and that wasn't his UFA contract. Don't tell me you think he'll get $7.5 mil or less when that deal ends. His next contact, the proper one for ROR comparisons, will likely be much higher than 7.5. There was no "because buffalo" premium. Stastny got that much money.

Any ROR's PPG was higher. Maybe he doesn't get hurt if we aren't riding him into the ground with such tough minutes.

Agree, In order for any major player to come to Buffalo they are going to have to overpay! Same goes for the Bills. Buffalo is not very high on many players wish list in either sport.

not always necessarily. Vesey might just be a big city guy and saw a bigger role for himself on the Rags. Think of it a big fish in a little pond and vice versa.

Watching this thread has been like watching a two headed goat give birth. You're pretty sure it will be normal but you can't look away just in case. I doubt Jimmy will ever be that two headed baby but maybe he will be good enough for folks to remember the excitement his coming generated. Maybe he won't be worth a bag of pucks in two years. Who knows. To me it was ever bit worth that lost pick.

so you've seen this?

Oh good.  Now this is over and we can move on.  I got bad news for Vesey, Buffalo will be better then the Blueshirts this season.  The Rags have an aging goalie and an again D group.  Their window is closing.  

I think GMTM made a great decision to try to get him here, but like any smart GM he hedged his bets and drafted Nylander.  We also have Ennis, Kane, Okposo (who chose to be here ;) ) Bailey, Fasching and don't forget Big Z.  Z is a year younger then Vesey and already has 202 nhl games under his belt.  Maybe he'll finally have a defined role under GMTM and CDB.  

Sure seems like we were never really in it.  If we had a shot, he would have signed before becoming a free agent.  I don't think he had any interest in Buffalo.  This whole thing was really silly but it will be interesting to see how he does in the NHL.

Guess he can be part of the rebuild there when their aging team gets rid of all their old vets and blows it up...Sabres and Rangers are heading on two separate tracks, he picked the wrong one, but I think it had more to do about his "celebrity status" and endorsements than hockey, because I don't think anyone in their right mind looks at the overall picture of the Sabres and Rangers and then picks the Rangers.

We didn't offer him anything until we panicked when Briere decided to leave. Drury was spurned by DR and LQ.

THIS is what the question and answer forum was supposed to be for, so that this doesn't have to be rehashed.

They agreed to a contract in October. Drury signed it. Golisano didn't it. After three weeks Drury rescinded his acceptance and played out the season.

Sure seems like we were never really in it.  If we had a shot, he would have signed before becoming a free agent.  I don't think he had any interest in Buffalo.  This whole thing was really silly but it will be interesting to see how he does in the NHL.

Obviously I tried to convince myself otherwise after the fact, but this seems very likely. The original impulse was that if Vesey didn't sign with us shortly after we acquired his rights, and continued to insist on going to FA, he would be unlikely to sign here. That seemed logical. If he were truly interested in the Sabres he probably could have been convinced, and signed here. Definitely hoped for otherwise and tried to keep an open mind to him still coming here, but the first logical impulse seems correct, after all.

Remember all those reports from legitimate sources who strongly believed it was only a formality until Vesey signed right after we acquired his rights? They expected an early signing and when that didn't happen, the writing was on the wall. We'll know for next time.

The Okposo reasoning is flawed.  If he was worth 6m the Isles would have paid it.  He came because we offered the most money not the best sutuation.  We've is right.  We better draft our stars, because we fall short in the fa derby 

So he wasn't the biggest fish after Stamkos returned to T.B.?  C'mon - that was a good get by the Sabres and the money less than what most thought he'd get.  He came because of the money and the situation.  It can be both you know.

The Okposo reasoning is flawed.  If he was worth 6m the Isles would have paid it.  He came because we offered the most money not the best sutuation.  We've is right.  We better draft our stars, because we fall short in the fa derby 

Sorry to burst your PA bubble, but the Sabs were the team that landed the biggest FA this year, and Okposo was him.

A proven 28-year-old winger who has been among the NHL's highest point producing wingers over the past three seasons chooses to come to Buffalo and generates a 400-post thread that dies out about a week after his signing.

An unproven 23-year-old winger who is one of the best players in college hockey over the past two seasons chooses not to come to Buffalo after generating a 3,100-post thread that keeps growing.

Because Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.