Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

This gives us a shot to knock him out of the playoffs, if the cards fall correctly. Sweet.

I'm not mad at him or upset we missed out. Maybe something personal is happening that he wants to be that close to Boston.

The Sabres will be a better team than the Rangers for most of the next two years, and I'll probably enjoy beating them just a little bit more than I would have before today.

My take.... As much as we hate to admit it, even with Eichel the Sabres are still in FA hell.  It took trading for his rights to get him to hear our pitch, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get a chance to sell the team to him.  I think GMTM took a gamble and moved a 3rd rd pick to get a chance at a kid that he wouldn't have had a chance with otherwise.

And I'm OK with that.

Now lets go win some playoff games and get out of FA hell, FFS.

Okposo signed - so we're not exactly in hell.  I'd imagine Stamkos gave us a serious look. 

This kid isn't worth having pity on ourselves.  He's not a star. 

My take.... As much as we hate to admit it, even with Eichel the Sabres are still in FA hell.  It took trading for his rights to get him to hear our pitch, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get a chance to sell the team to him.  I think GMTM took a gamble and moved a 3rd rd pick to get a chance at a kid that he wouldn't have had a chance with otherwise.

And I'm OK with that.

Now lets go win some playoff games and get out of FA hell, FFS.

I agree to an extent, but it depends on the player. For a guy like Vesey, clearly he wanted the bright lights of NYC and it looks like we didn't really have a chance. Didn't think that would be the case, but looks like it was. Still a worthwhile move by Murray. I can't say I'll be particularly rooting for Jimmy's success though. He's on a rival team, he spurned the Sabres when we had his rights, and rooting for the Sabres to take apart his team a few times a year is more fun. Nothing against him personally, but I refuse to believe this was entirely a media driven spectacle, one that him and his agents didn't have a part in building up needlessly. Particularly if those condo reports were true.

But I also disagree with your point to an extent, cause of guys like Okposo. Okposo is more proven, and likely a better player than Vesey will ever be. He chose Buffalo when he had multiple other suitors. For guys like him, we are a destination, now.

Winning will help us attract more FAs, there's no doubt about that.

Okposo signed - so we're not exactly in hell.  I'd imagine Stamkos gave us a serious look. 

This kid isn't worth having pity on ourselves.  He's not a star. 

The Okposo reasoning is flawed.  If he was worth 6m the Isles would have paid it.  He came because we offered the most money not the best sutuation.  We've is right.  We better draft our stars, because we fall short in the fa derby 

I really hate what they did to him. I loved Drury. I still do.

That he's such an ambassador for the Rangers kills me. He should have been our guy.

I must be remembering wrong. I thought we offered him the same deal as nyr but he wanted to play for his favorite childhood team.

Watching this thread has been like watching a two headed goat give birth. You're pretty sure it will be normal but you can't look away just in case. I doubt Jimmy will ever be that two headed baby but maybe he will be good enough for folks to remember the excitement his coming generated. Maybe he won't be worth a bag of pucks in two years. Who knows. To me it was ever bit worth that lost pick.

Looking ahead at the NYR cap situation in 2018-19, Miller, Hayes and Vesey all will be RFAs with $40mil in cap hit for only 7 NHL roster players. Could be interesting in a few years.

And they will do what every Team does near the cap, trade away proven talent for younger unproven talent to fill the void. It won't hurt them. It hasn't hurt any team to date and it won't in the future.

I must be remembering wrong. I thought we offered him the same deal as nyr but he wanted to play for his favorite childhood team.

Something tells me Murray had performance based criteria that a lot of the less talent rich teams were willing to give a bit on. Murrays no fool.

The Okposo reasoning is flawed.  If he was worth 6m the Isles would have paid it. He came because we offered the most money not the best sutuation.  We've is right.  We better draft our stars, because we fall short in the fa derby

No. Teams often refuse to pay their stars what they are worth. Was Ryan O'Reilly not worth being paid? Of course he was, but the Avs still dealt him.

Other teams offered Okposo a lot of money, too. He chose Buffalo.

No. Teams often refuse to pay thcompears what they are worth. Was Ryan O'Reilly not worth being paid? Of course he was, but the Avs still dealt him.

Other teams offered Okposo a lot of money, too. He chose Buffalo.

Imho he is overpaid at 7.5m aav.  Good player, great fit but he is being compensated above mkt value.  That is why he is here the Sabres were willing to overpay.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.