Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Don't blame the kid for the media coverage.

Not blaming him for media coverage. It all started when he spurned Nashville. The kid hasn't proven anything as far as becoming an above avg NHL player, but yet he can pick where he should play right out of the gate? Reminds me of the whole Eli Manning BS. Now, if JV comes to Buffalo and wins two cups within the next 10 years....I think I could deal with him.

Not blaming him for media coverage. It all started when he spurned Nashville. The kid hasn't proven anything as far as becoming an above avg NHL player, but yet he can pick where he should play right out of the gate? Reminds me of the whole Eli Manning BS. Now, if JV comes to Buffalo and wins two cups within the next 10 years....I think I could deal with him.

He can only pick what where he can play because he worked hard enough and possesses enough skill for teams to want him. He has also given up a substantial amount of money to be where he is today at age 23.

I was quibbling with the "kid" moniker. He's a man. (Insert World War II reference here.)

Ah. Damn. My bad.

Yeah. Not a kid.

He can only pick what where he can play because he worked hard enough and possesses enough skill for teams to want him. He has also given up a substantial amount of money to be where he is today at age 23.

I'm not so sure about that.

When and where was he drafted? He seems to have been a late bloomer. You could argue that he's maximized his career earning potential by playing it this way.

Yeh, Yeh, Blah... Blah..., or get off the pot..., seriously though, just f5ing till there is some actual news... process is annoying... not his fault or problem... but slow summer sports news... amplifies all the speculation, plus the drawn out process is contrary to today's need for immediate news... so yeh whatever beep me when a decision is made.., oh wait twitter and my phone will do it.

Ah. Damn. My bad.

Yeah. Not a kid.

I'm not so sure about that.

When and where was he drafted? He seems to have been a late bloomer. You could argue that he's maximized his career earning potential by playing it this way.

Would $1M be fair to say over the course of the last couple years? I think that is substantial money left on the table and a sizable gamble.

This thread is awesome because it shows just how bi-polar fans are.

"Jimmy Vesey is awesome! GMTM is so smart for trading for his rights"

"Should I slot him in my mock lineups on the first line or put him on line 2 with Eichel?"

"Ugh, he hasn't signed yet, GMTM is a moron for wasting that pick"

"We missed out drafting Gord Wilson (or some other Canadian type name) with that pick, I bet he's gonna be a stud"

"We're still in the hunt according to whatever twitter handle. I love Jimmy Vesey"

"He bought a condo in NYC. ###### that guy!"

"Decision is likely on Friday. WTF is this guy waiting for"

"Decision may not come until the weekend. F this guy. Who does this prima donna think he is?!"

"Some non-Buffalo team reportedly has the inside track. Eh, Vesey sucks anyway. He'll never live up to the hype. He's a locker room cancer!"

"Previous report was wrong, everyone is still in. Come on Vesey, we love you!"

Very nice.

Would $1M be fair to say over the course of the last couple years? I think that is substantial money left on the table and a sizable gamble.

I'm not sure. I'm not even clear on when he bloomed into an NHL-level talent. But, yeah - maybe.

On the other side of the ledger, what's the likely value of having secured a Harvard degree after a continuous 4-year stint there?

I'm not sure he really sacrificed much. In fact, I think the way things worked out for him are setting him up for a scenario he could not have otherwise replicated. 

At this point someones gonna run this through the boards face first when he finally decides. Regardless the outcome this dude will always be an to me. He could go on to lead the Sabres to multiple cups and it wouldn't change in my mind.

I'm not sure. I'm not even clear on when he bloomed into an NHL-level talent. But, yeah - maybe.

On the other side of the ledger, what's the likely value of having secured a Harvard degree after a continuous 4-year stint there?

I'm not sure he really sacrificed much. In fact, I think the way things worked out for him are setting him up for a scenario he could not have otherwise replicated. 

That's all hindsight.

When he was drafted, he faced decisions. Now that he seems to have played his cards perfectly, is no reason for anyone to scoff at his situation of "being able to choose where he goes". If it was that easy, everyone would just do it.

At this point someones gonna run this ###### through the boards face first when he finally decides. Regardless the outcome this dude will always be an ###### to me. He could go on to lead the Sabres to multiple cups and it wouldn't change ###### in my mind.

That says WAY more about you than JV. Just sayin...

Plus he delayed signing his second deal by two years

A second deal isn't 100% guaranteed though. I'm sure he will be good enough to earn one of course, but still, there are those Ville Leino type players. By no means am I comparing the two, but he still has a lot to prove. If he put up the same numbers he had during his last two years at Harvard for say a BC, ND, or Minn, I'd be a little more sold on the kid. No matter where he ends up, I'll definitely be following his progress now.

At this point someones gonna run this ###### through the boards face first when he finally decides. Regardless the outcome this dude will always be an ###### to me. He could go on to lead the Sabres to multiple cups and it wouldn't change ###### in my mind.

I'm not a fan of this rule. If you are drafted and don't sign with the team that drafted you it should be you have to re-enter the draft. Now if you went undrafted at any league you were in then you should be able to pick and choose your destination. Example Panrian

Edited by SabresBillsFan

That says WAY more about you than JV. Just sayin...

let it be said

I'm not a fan of this rule. If you are drafted and don't sign with the team that drafted you it should be you have to re-enter the draft. Now if you went undrafted at any league you were in then you should be able to pick and choose your destination. Example Panrian

thats fair

Oh for Christ's Sake did he just start contemplating on Tuesday at 12:01?  He's had months to play this out in his mind and he has to have had a preference going into this.  IMO the only reason this could POSSIBLY be taking so long is that the team he preferred to go to at Tuesday on 12:01 wasn't as interested as one of the other teams and that other team isn't completely offensive in his mind.  He's dragging his feet a little now hoping that choice number 1 ups the ante in some sort of way.

You sound like a Helicopter Fan.  Stop hovering already.

I was quibbling with the "kid" moniker. He's a man. (Insert World War II reference here.)

Anyone posting in the Over 50 thread can call him a kid.  My son is 26 and I still call him a kid.

That's all hindsight.

When he was drafted, he faced decisions. Now that he seems to have played his cards perfectly, is no reason for anyone to scoff at his situation of "being able to choose where he goes". If it was that easy, everyone would just do it.

I'm not sure what you're saying is all hindsight. It certainly wasn't hindsight for him to take stock of where his game was when he was drafted (after a gap year of playing hockey, I believe), when he was done with his freshman year in 2013, etc., and decide what he should be aiming to do and what he was capable of doing. There were many decisions to be made along the way - and they now appear to have worked out quite well for him.

Anyway, I'm not scoffing at what he's doing or what he has the right to do. That's all well and good as far as I'm concerned. And I'm not saying he chose an easily marked and readily replicated path.

What I am also not giving him is an atta-boy for foregoing money and choosing a diminished career earning potential.

So strange which free agents people choose to hate for picking a destination and which ones they don't. Seems to have a very strong correlation with people's favorite teams being spurned.

For me it has to do with the entire process. Vesey was drafted by the Predators who spent resources and time helping to develop him. Instead of signing and playing with them like most drafted players do, he waited it out and became a free agent. He's not the first and he won't be the last but IMO the system is broken and needs to be fixed. The fact that the Sabres aquired his rights is irrelevant. Now as the process drags on i'm just over it and I'll bet most players are too. Whether right or wrong this whole thing makes Vesey seem entitled to something he's not.

For me it has to do with the entire process. Vesey was drafted by the Predators who spent resources and time helping to develop him. Instead of signing and playing with them like most drafted players do, he waited it out and became a free agent. He's not the first and he won't be the last but IMO the system is broken and needs to be fixed. The fact that the Sabres aquired his rights is irrelevant. Now as the process drags on i'm just over it and I'll bet most players are too. Whether right or wrong this whole thing makes Vesey seem entitled to something he's not.

Tells you what's important to him, what his values are.   His dream isn't to play in the NHL or win Cups, it's to get coddled by some franchise willing to bow down to his every demand.

I'm hoping when this is all settled that they changed this rule. If you are drafted by any NHL team and you don't sign with them you should be forced back into the draft. Now if you went undrafted numerous times when it was your draft years then you should be able to play anywhere.

I'm hoping when this is all settled that they changed this rule. If you are drafted by any NHL team and you don't sign with them you should be forced back into the draft. Now if you went undrafted numerous times when it was your draft years then you should be able to play anywhere.

fair

I know it's hockey's down time so the Vesey decision is making all kinds of noise. But looking at his stats, I still don't get it. Last year he was 8th in the nation in PPG, is one of the oldest players (more experience at the college level) in the top 20 and played in the ECAC. I'm no scout so I've never seen his all around game, but there obviously has to be more than just production?

Which grand injustice does this rectify?

I know it's hockey's down time so the Vesey decision is making all kinds of noise. But looking at his stats, I still don't get it. Last year he was 8th in the nation in PPG, is one of the oldest players (more experience at the college level) in the top 20 and played in the ECAC. I'm no scout so I've never seen his all around game, but there obviously has to be more than just production?

While scouts are somewhat split, the consensus is that he is a top 6 (probably 2nd line winger) with 20-30 goal upside.  Most think if in this year's draft, he would have been picked 7-15 range in 1st round.

I think you raise the same issues his detractors raise.

I think the reason there is so much hype surrounding him is three fold

1- lower upside, but much higher floor than most non-Top 5 1st round picks

2- can contribute immediately

3-costs a team nothing (i.e. he's a UFA) and he's cheap ($925K base, max $3M+ with incentives)

For those reasons he is creating the hype --- 

not to mention, there isn't much going on in the NHL !!

BTW, if he was a UFA and asking for 5 years and $30M, it would be a different story, IMHO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.