Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

NY seems like it was the destination whether it was the Rangers, Devils or Islanders I'm not sure it mattered. He wanted to be in New York really badly. One thing that wasn't brought up was a significant other factor. Jimmy just spent 4 years at Harvard. An awful lot of Harvard grads go to NYC to work. Wouldn't shock me if that's why Jimmy wanted to be in NYC so badly.

...and they break up in 6 months and he regrets everything

I was watching the NHL Tonight on the NHL Network the other day and they reviewed Vesey's fit with the Rags. They project him as Hayes' LW on the 3rd line. I don't see many 3rd line wingers getting big money. Hayes has averaged 40 pts in his first two NHL seasons. He has never showed the playmaking skill to feed a sniper like Vesey. This further proof of the strange rationale behind his decision to join the Rags. The gap between the skill of Eichel down to Hayes is the Grand Canyon. I agree with an earlier post that he is going to regret this decision.

I was watching the NHL Tonight on the NHL Network the other day and they reviewed Vesey's fit with the Rags. They project him as Hayes' LW on the 3rd line. I don't see many 3rd line wingers getting big money. Hayes has averaged 40 pts in his first two NHL seasons. He has never showed the playmaking skill to feed a sniper like Vesey. This further proof of the strange rationale behind his decision to join the Rags. The gap between the skill of Eichel down to Hayes is the Grand Canyon. I agree with an earlier post that he is going to regret this decision.

I feel like the bolded is TBD

I read that he picked #26 with the Rags as that's his birthday because well I guess he's earned that right by doing absolutely nothing except pontificate on his entitlements.  

Perhaps that was the deciding factor when you consider Rip promised him #73.   

I think I will be voting for Vesey to succeed.

I will not be. I think the truth lies somewhere between Vesey wanting to explore all options and what Pi's has postulated. There is something just off with Vesey and the more I've seen and read on the entire situation the more I feel that.  Him not signing with Buffalo was fine but the Rangers decision after all he professed about wanting a good team and stuff, idk something is just off.  

I have no idea how well Vesey will project to the NHL, but I do think it was wrong to assume that he was some super intelligent, analytical and thoughtful kid just because he went to Harvard.  He may have had a thorough decision making process, but his actual decision does not seem particularly well thought out.  Even the character of Vesey may be somewhat suspect if you factor in what happened with the Predators and that he spurned his hometown team for one of their biggest rivals.

I will not be. I think the truth lies somewhere between Vesey wanting to explore all options and what Pi's has postulated. There is something just off with Vesey and the more I've seen and read on the entire situation the more I feel that. Him not signing with Buffalo was fine but the Rangers decision after all he professed about wanting a good team and stuff, idk something is just off.

I'm cautious as well, but the Rangers have been a successful team. I think they're third in playoff series won over the last five or six years. Sure, us fans think they're on the downward trend, but players probably don't have the same perspectives we do when looking at different NHL teams.

I have no idea how well Vesey will project to the NHL, but I do think it was wrong to assume that he was some super intelligent, analytical and thoughtful kid just because he went to Harvard.  He may have had a thorough decision making process, but his actual decision does not seem particularly well thought out.  Even the character of Vesey may be somewhat suspect if you factor in what happened with the Predators and that he spurned his hometown team for one of their biggest rivals.

The rational decision was the join the Preds last year for the stretch run and playoffs.  His contract would have kicked in one year sooner (read: he'd already be rich) and he would burn a year of his rookie contract putting himself one year closer to a potentially bigger pay day.  I've never seen David Poille as mad as he was when Vessey spurned him.  That (and based on what I've heard down here) leads me to believe Vesey pulled a classic bait-and-switch with the Preds.

Personally I hope this kid struggles mightily with the Rangers.

The rational decision was the join the Preds last year for the stretch run and playoffs.  His contract would have kicked in one year sooner (read: he'd already be rich) and he would burn a year of his rookie contract putting himself one year closer to a potentially bigger pay day.  I've never seen David Poille as mad as he was when Vessey spurned him.  That (and based on what I've heard down here) leads me to believe Vesey pulled a classic bait-and-switch with the Preds.

Personally I hope this kid struggles mightily with the Rangers.

Agreed.   His only criteria was somewhere close to home with a friend.    If he wanted to win now... NSH.    If he wanted future team success with a budding superstar... BUF.     He lied to Poile, and he lied to the press about what he was looking for in a team.   

Eichel is back in town skating at HarborCenter.

He had these thoughts re Vesey

Eichel on Vesey, “It would’ve been great to have him here, but I don’t think we’re going to dwell on our losses. He had his opportunity

to come here and he didn’t. I’m happy for him if he’s happy in New York and that’s good for him and I wish him all the best.”

Eichel on the season, "I don’t think we should look around in the locker-room and think anything than a big improvement. I think we turned a

corner last year in the second half of the season.I think that we need to take that next step this season and get ready to be in the hunt.”

From Paul Hamilton

Eichel is back in town skating at HarborCenter.

He had these thoughts re Vesey

Eichel on Vesey, “It would’ve been great to have him here, but I don’t think we’re going to dwell on our losses. He had his opportunity

to come here and he didn’t. I’m happy for him if he’s happy in New York and that’s good for him and I wish him all the best.”

Eichel on the season, "I don’t think we should look around in the locker-room and think anything than a big improvement. I think we turned a

corner last year in the second half of the season.I think that we need to take that next step this season and get ready to be in the hunt.”

From Paul Hamilton

Haha, sounds like he wants to make him regret his decision.    Anyway, nice to hear him talk about being in the playoff hunt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.