Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

He had a much better year his junior year and would have won the hobey if not for a certain jack. In his senior year, he lost a couple of good wingmen and played with younger kids, a las a lower point total. Solid prospect - upside is another Okposo, downside a stafford

He's not the first and he won't be the last but IMO the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

I agree. That's why I brought up the Eli Manning deal. He was drafted by San Diego but refused to sign with them and demanded to be traded. But with the NFL the only way he could go sign with the team of his choice was for a fair enough trade be agreed upon between the two teams involved. Both teams ended up with pretty good QB's in the end.

I'm hoping when this is all settled that they changed this rule. If you are drafted by any NHL team and you don't sign with them you should be forced back into the draft. Now if you went undrafted numerous times when it was your draft years then you should be able to play anywhere.

The only way this happens is if the draft is limited to 2 maybe 3 rounds and evryone else is a UFA. A kid drafted out of high school drafted in the 7th round who chooses to go to college because the prospect of cashing anything other than an AHL or ECHL check shouldn't be limited to that if he suddenly blooms and there is no room for him in the system. A better idea would bento eliminate the draft altogether with no rookie wage scale. Jack would be in Boston and Connor probably in Toronto but they would be playing with scrubs brought in to stay under the cap. Keep a hard cap and let the market bear what it will. Then there would be no tanking, all players could choose college or Junior as it fits. The idea of a draft is an anachronism.

He had a much better year his junior year and would have won the hobey if not for a certain jack. In his senior year, he lost a couple of good wingmen and played with younger kids, a las a lower point total. Solid prospect - upside is another Okposo, downside a stafford

What is interesting is Jack was 18 and Jimmy was 22 when Jack won. That speaks volumes to me of the talent gap between the two. 

I know it's hockey's down time so the Vesey decision is making all kinds of noise. But looking at his stats, I still don't get it. Last year he was 8th in the nation in PPG, is one of the oldest players (more experience at the college level) in the top 20 and played in the ECAC. I'm no scout so I've never seen his all around game, but there obviously has to be more than just production?

He anticipates the play very well and is extremely patient with the puck.

I'm hoping when this is all settled that they changed this rule. If you are drafted by any NHL team and you don't sign with them you should be forced back into the draft. Now if you went undrafted numerous times when it was your draft years then you should be able to play anywhere.

I used to think this, but the more I think about it, the more I like the current system.    I mean, we have that rule to thank for this thread, so I say keep it the same :)    That, and there's not very many Schultz/Vesey douchebags who think they're better than the NHL, so this doesn't happen too often as it is.

The only way this happens is if the draft is limited to 2 maybe 3 rounds and evryone else is a UFA. A kid drafted out of high school drafted in the 7th round who chooses to go to college because the prospect of cashing anything other than an AHL or ECHL check shouldn't be limited to that if he suddenly blooms and there is no room for him in the system. A better idea would bento eliminate the draft altogether with no rookie wage scale. Jack would be in Boston and Connor probably in Toronto but they would be playing with scrubs brought in to stay under the cap. Keep a hard cap and let the market bear what it will. Then there would be no tanking, all players could choose college or Junior as it fits. The idea of a draft is an anachronism.

Does every kid have to put their name into the draft pool? Or do teams just draft whoever and at whatever age hoping they skip juniors and college and sign the contract? I'm not a fan of how this is playing out but if Vesey never put his name into a draft pool and got drafted by a team he opposed, then I kind of understand where he is coming from. If not and he did put his name into be drafted, then I don't.

Edited by bobis

Does every kid have to put their name into the draft pool? Or do teams just draft whoever and at whatever age hoping they skip juniors and college and sign the contract? I'm not a fan of how this is playing out but if Vesey never put his name into a draft pool and got drafted by a team he opposed, then I kind of understand where he is coming from. If not then I don't.

As an 18 year old you need to declare yourself eligible for the draft,  all 19 year olds are automatically eligible. 

In Vesey's case he went undrafted in 2011 as an 18 year old, I don't know if he declared himself eligible that draft year, I'm assuming he did.

He was automatically eligible in 2012 because he's turned 19 by Sept 15th 2012.  

So maybe he's f'ing with the NHL out of spite for going undrafted in 2011.... wouldn't put it past him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.