World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

I find that Olympic hockey is a better tournament.

Creating a team Europe and team North America creates more competitive teams, but it's tough to cheer for them without a flag.

As a hockey fan, I will watch because it's always interesting to see the best lace them up.

It must be summertime because our Canadian media has not been beating their chests over this.

I find that Olympic hockey is a better tournament.

Creating a team Europe and team North America creates more competitive teams, but it's tough to cheer for them without a flag.

As a hockey fan, I will watch because it's always interesting to see the best lace them up.

It must be summertime because our Canadian media has not been beating their chests over this.

The World Cup is like a series of All Star games that kinda matter. The Olympic Tournament is like a series of All-star games (after group play, at least) that mostly matter.

I don't get all the apathy towards this tournament.   I, for one, am counting down the days.    Sure, it's a new concept, but these are competitive individuals, the games will be competitive and I expect the intensity to ramp up as we close in on the medal rounds.    

I don't get all the apathy towards this tournament.   I, for one, am counting down the days.    Sure, it's a new concept, but these are competitive individuals, the games will be competitive and I expect the intensity to ramp up as we close in on the medal rounds.    

Even the players seem lukewarm:  “It’s something we’ve never done before,” Eichel said. “Usually it’s you play for your country in tournaments like this. I’m sure we’ll put it all aside and be ready to go.”

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-jack-eichel-refreshed-new-season/

It's because Jimmy Vesey won't be playing. Without him why even have a tournament? I guess without him there to dominate though it could be anybody's game. 

Even the players seem lukewarm:  “It’s something we’ve never done before,” Eichel said. “Usually it’s you play for your country in tournaments like this. I’m sure we’ll put it all aside and be ready to go.”

I guarantee after some practice time together and a few exhibition games, they'll all be singing a different tune.    They'll get familiar with their teammates, build some chemistry and gain the confidence that they can win this thing.    I can see some of these games getting heated.

It's because Jimmy Vesey won't be playing. Without him why even have a tournament? I guess without him there to dominate though it could be anybody's game. 

Haha, it's kind of a shame he didn't sign with Boston or NJ and then have to come to Buffalo to play in our prospects tournament.    I'll bet that weighed into his decision, he's that mentally fragile.   

Even the players seem lukewarm: “It’s something we’ve never done before,” Eichel said. “Usually it’s you play for your country in tournaments like this. I’m sure we’ll put it all aside and be ready to go.”

Eh, you're quoting a player who isn't allowed to play for his country because of an arbitrary age floor. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some players aren't super hyped about it like for the Olympics.

It's hockey featuring most of the best layers in the world.

How can you not be interested?

In my particular case, I'll admit that I also hate the All-Star Game for similar reasons, and am militantly indifferent to NHL players at the Olympics because of other issues surrounding the Olympics in general.

If an honest-to-goodness IIHF World Cup similar in structure and scope to FIFA's were to come about, then I'd be all for it.  What we're left with, however, is (again, solely in my opinion) less than interesting/exciting.

In my particular case, I'll admit that I also hate the All-Star Game for similar reasons, and am militantly indifferent to NHL players at the Olympics because of other issues surrounding the Olympics in general.

If an honest-to-goodness IIHF World Cup similar in structure and scope to FIFA's were to come about, then I'd be all for it.  What we're left with, however, is (again, solely in my opinion) less than interesting/exciting.

Pretty much this.

I think it's stupid because hockey is the kind of sport no pro should be playing competitively in the off-season. If I were a team owner I'd be losing my mind.

Oh and most definitely this.

I think it's stupid because hockey is the kind of sport no pro should be playing competitively in the off-season. If I were a team owner I'd be losing my mind.

This. If we lose someone to injury and it sets the entire team back another season I WILL LOSE MY MIND.

I do want to watch some hockey though.

Eichel centering Gaudreau and Saad at practice. I don't care what anyone says about why this tournament exists, you can't convince me this won't be fun to watch.

Risto for Gaudreau has been tossed around by media pundits... source: me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.