World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Good to see Team USA is still run by morons. Ryan Callahan? Seriously? Do these people even watch hockey?

As Flagg said, I doubt it

Alright, I laughed: 

If Jack Johnson loves his country he'll respectfully decline the invite and suggest Faulk/Shatty.

This is just magic

Kessel not good enough for Team USA. That's ok, Ryan Callahan added today. He'll provide all the snipes needed.

This is the same damn reason USA hockey blew in the Olympics last time around. This isn't the NHL, you're allowed to score. They went heavy with heart and bruisers and were consistently stymied every game.  

Robin Lehner added as a backup goalie to Team Sweden.

No ROR to Canada

No Reinhart to Team North America

Auston Matthews, RNH amongst those added to Team NA

As much as I love Reinhart, both of those players are better than him. I find it hard to believe there isn't some other spot on that roster for him though

Fancy stats. It's all the rage.

Fancy stats tell you otherwise my friend

• 2 months later...

At a presser for the World Cup it was announced that the players would have tracking chips in their name plates to allow for tracking of players while on the ice. Speed and Positioning on the ice will be amongst the things that will be tracked and discussed on the broadcast. In addition there will be a tracking chip in the puck. Could this lead to use of goal line technology and the elimination of the puck could not be visualized crossing the line? 

I wasn't excited about this stupid tournament to begin with and I'm less excited now.  Bring on Korea 2018 already.

Not me.  I'm totally psyched about this thing and can't wait for it to start.  Not sure about the Team Europe/Team North America thing, but I can live with it.  Games (at least those with Canada, Team NA and USA) will be packed and on at "normal" times.  Korean Olympic games will have 12 people in the stands and will be played at the crack of dawn or before when converted to our time.

At a presser for the World Cup it was announced that the players would have tracking chips in their name plates to allow for tracking of players while on the ice. Speed and Positioning on the ice will be amongst the things that will be tracked and discussed on the broadcast. In addition there will be a tracking chip in the puck. Could this lead to use of goal line technology and the elimination of the puck could not be visualized crossing the line?

I don't know how I missed this, but freaking awesome. Wonder if the data will be publicly available.

So I guess this is the test run for the season. Wasn't it already announced that they are doing this in the upcoming NHL season?

They're just going to sell the data to EA Sports.

Nope. But what it will lead to is the best fancy stats ever!

I'm really excited for player tracking. I believe it will revolutionize coaching.

I am not looking forward to fox sports like graphics and robots spouting useless info like zone entry speed and  comparisons between Eichel and Matthews concerning average half board positioning.  Used correctly it could help coaching but if served as pablum to viewers it will be annoying.  I hate what fox has done to all sports it covers, and hope this isn't the first step on a slippery slope.

Edited by 3putt

I am not looking forward to fox sports like graphics and robots spouting useless info like zone entry speed and  comparisons between Eichel and Matthews concerning average half board positioning.  Used correctly it could help coaching but if served as pablum to viewers it will be annoying.  I hate what fox has done to all sports it covers, and hope this isn't the first step on a slippery slope.

How do we know this stuff is useless when we've never had it before to study? That said, I agree that the last things sports needs are more utterly meaningless stats being spewed on broadcasts.

I'm not looking forward to this. I'm going to be watching every game terrified that Jack or Risto are going to get hurt.

I'm with you. This is a contrived attempt to make people forget what real international competition is. The NA and team Europe are ridiculous. I would rather have both Risto and Jack in camp getting ready for the season.

I'm with you. This is a contrived attempt to make people forget what real international competition is. The NA and team Europe are ridiculous. I would rather have both Risto and Jack in camp getting ready for the season.

I have hopes. The WC of soccer is the real tournament, hopefully this can evolve into that. I'm with you though, I do not like the Team Europe. Team NA is cool just because most of those players would be left off without it, and there is some serious talent on that team

I have hopes. The WC of soccer is the real tournament, hopefully this can evolve into that. I'm with you though, I do not like the Team Europe. Team NA is cool just because most of those players would be left off without it, and there is some serious talent on that team

But what are they representing? Country? No. NHL? No. So if they are not on a national team because they are not good enough or politics, so be it. I still think some of the under 24s would have spots on Team USA and McDavid would have been on Canada.

But what are they representing? Country? No. NHL? No. So if they are not on a national team because they are not good enough or politics, so be it. I still think some of the under 24s would have spots on Team USA and McDavid would have been on Canada.

I agree, and see the point. But it's a new tournament, and they want to fit as many teams/talent as they can to get it going. 10 years down the line and this is still going? Then it's a joke in my book

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.