World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

I could see doing something like team Europe to bring together the good players from countries that don't have enough to put together a team and be competitive, but I'm not sure I understand team North America, considering it ends up being the "B team" to USA and Canada. I could see USA, CAN, SWE, FIN, RUS, CZE, GER, and ROW (rest of the world) as teams.

I could see doing something like team Europe to bring together the good players from countries that don't have enough to put together a team and be competitive, but I'm not sure I understand team North America, considering it ends up being the "B team" to USA and Canada. I could see USA, CAN, SWE, FIN, RUS, CZE, GER, and ROW (rest of the world) as teams.

I thought Team North America was a Young Guns type of conglomerate.

I thought Team North America was a Young Guns type of conglomerate.

Yes, must be 23 or younger to play for them.

Are players under 24 allowed on team USA and Canada? (I'm really asking) If not, the split makes some, but not a lot, of sense. Otherwise, I'll revise my statement to "a team of under 24s that weren't good enough to make the national teams doesn't make much sense." :)

One thing that I will be following is the "young man's" game rhetoric. Other than USA and Canada, the young guns can play for their national team or team Europe. The Canadians are stacked but without McDavid and MacKinnon and Ekblad. Risto gets to play with the Finns and perhaps the Nylandersnfor Sweden. We should be able to glean a lot from the sauces or lack thereof of the younger teams.

Are players under 24 allowed on team USA and Canada? (I'm really asking) If not, the split makes some, but not a lot, of sense. Otherwise, I'll revise my statement to "a team of under 24s that weren't good enough to make the national teams doesn't make much sense." :)

I'm pretty sure the under 24's must play for Team NA.  Like you said, otherwise that wouldn't make much sense.  Very few of them (if any) would probably make their national team anyway.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I just realized Auston Matthews is not on the current NA team roster

7 more players are going to be named in June (I think June is what I heard, but don't hold me to it!). I have read in a couple places that Matthews has an "uphill battle" to claim one of those 7, but I would be pretty surprised/disappointed if he's left off. I want to see him, Jack, and McDavid on the same team.

Some other names I think will be in contention: Gostisbehere, Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, our very own Samson Reinhart, "The Other Sam" Bennet, Jenner, Domi, Dougie Hamilton, Trouba, maybe DuClair... Just some names off the top of my head and from what I remember some of the experts predicting. 

Apparently Wyshynski thinks we're getting the 2020 World Cup:  http://sabrestop.com/posts/13537507/wyshynski--zero-chance-buffalo-doesn-t-get-world-cup-in-2020.html

Wasn't there just some talk recently about how the league feels Buffalo has insufficient infrastructure for an all-star game?

Yes, but I can't remember if it was from the league (be it directly or indirectly) or just reporters opining.

Apparently Wyshynski thinks we're getting the 2020 World Cup:  http://sabrestop.com/posts/13537507/wyshynski--zero-chance-buffalo-doesn-t-get-world-cup-in-2020.html

Wasn't there just some talk recently about how the league feels Buffalo has insufficient infrastructure for an all-star game?

I hadn't heard that. Buffalo just had the World Juniors in 2011 and are getting them again in 2018. There wouldn't be any infrastructure issue with a World Cup of Hockey in Buffalo.

• 2 months later...

..just a reminder, the balance of the rosters for the World Cup will be announced no later than next Friday, May 27th.    

Ryan O'Reilly is in the mix but Canada has a deep group.     He can help his chances if he continues to perform well at the Worlds.

Will Auston Matthews make Team North America?  Sam Reinhart?   

Will be interesting to see how they shape out their rosters.

Edited by pi2000

..just a reminder, the balance of the rosters for the World Cup will be announced no later than next Friday, May 27th.    

Ryan O'Reilly is in the mix but Canada has a deep group.     He can help his chances if he continues to perform well at the Worlds.

Will Auston Matthews make Team North America?  Sam Reinhart?   

Will be interesting to see how they shape out their rosters.

Why do I have to look at your disgusting avatar?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.