World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

USA training camp is in Columbus? Team NA camp Montreal and QBC?

Thought Buffalo with Harbor Center would be a perfect fit for team NA.

All-American prospects game is in Philly this year, Buffalo on the skids all of the sudden?

Most of these events rotate around. I think Buffalo is actually on the rise. 

Per Harrington and Ryan Kennedy

Still recovering from surgery -- and likely not 2 play anyway -- Robin Lehner pulls out of WCup.Jhonas Enroth replaces him 4 Sweden. #Sabres

Good, I think he needs to take all the time to recover because we don't need another injury because he was rushed back. 

I hope this is merely precautionary and to work on his game, and not indicative that he may once again be unable to be in game shape when camp opens.

If this is an issue again, hopefully GMTM pulls out all the stops to get Cal Peterson signed after his ND Season is complete.

I honestly believe North America is notably better. Sad. Didn't have to be this way.

Ya the roster for NA probably does look better.  I never really followed the selection process and just looked over the rosters thanks to Flagg.  It's...ummm...surprising some of the choices.  Is Torts seriously the coach of that team??  Wow....

I think Team Canada is pretty stacked but team USA is laughable. I foresee Team N. America actually beating out team USA. #boldprediction

I mean just look at the centers:

McDavid v. Stepan... lol's

Eichel v. Pavelski (will be a challenge)

Monahan v. Dubinsky... lol's

Scheifele v. Kesler... more lol's

Good luck team USA, I think you will need your old man guile to beat the kids.

Sidenote... I would have added ROR to team Canada. He would have been a better option than Carter IMPO. I think that 2-way game is hard to play against in a tourney and actually something that Canada could use more of.

I'd put him on there if I were them too, but I'm glad he isn't playing any extra hockey, at least until DD gets him below 24 minutes per game..

If this is an issue again, hopefully GMTM pulls out all the stops to get Cal Peterson signed after his ND Season is complete.

Either way I hope GMTM does this.  I think Peterson is our answer.

Ullmark?   

I can see Peterson signing and playing the season out in Rochester once ND's season comes to a close, he won't be NHL ready right out of the gate.

Should Lehner be unable to stay healthy I'd expect Ullmark to take over the reigns as starter.    He could legit be the long term #1 tendy even before Thanksgiving.

When abouts does his season end? If I am remembering right from the Vesey situation, there's a window between June 1 and July 1 where unsigned college players can't be negotiated with (June 1 is actually the final cut off for junior players). Then the window opens up again from July 1-August 15. Let's hope Peterson doesn't make it to that window.

Edit - Also unsure if that June 1 cutoff applies for each of the years a junior or college player's rights are held, or just the final year.

Edited by Thorny

Anybody know if they're implementing the smaller goalie gear for the World Cup?   I haven't heard much about it..

Honestly, I read somewhere that the players believe the rules won't be implemented this season. A "they always say that" kind of vibe. I'll try and find it. The same place I read that said something about players continuing to order their usual-sized pads and having no intentions of doing otherwise.

This: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/streamlined-goalie-equipment-delayed-2017-18-season/

Honestly, I read somewhere that the players believe the rules won't be implemented this season. A "they always say that" kind of vibe. I'll try and find it. The same place I read that said something about players continuing to order their usual-sized pads and having no intentions of doing otherwise.

This: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/streamlined-goalie-equipment-delayed-2017-18-season/

thanks!

That's a bummer.    Lehner would have an advantage as his legit big enough to wear XL streamlined gear (pants, chest) vs other thinner guys like Miller who simply aren't big enough.

When abouts does his season end? If I am remembering right from the Vesey situationwere's a window between June 1 and July 1 where unsigned college players can't be negotiated with (June 1 is actually the final cut off for junior players). Then the window opens up again from July 1-August 15. Let's hope Peterson doesn't make it to that window.

Edit - Also unsure if that June 1 cutoff applies for each of the years a junior or college player's rights are held, or just the final year.

ND will be out by the end of March and he can sign anytime thereafter until the conclusion of the SCF.  He's our property and can sign anytime. Vesey wasn't signing with the Preds.  He could have signed after July1 but was heading to fa.  

ND will be out by the end of March and he can sign anytime thereafter until the conclusion of the SCF.  He's our property and can sign anytime. Vesey wasn't signing with the Preds.  He could have signed after July1 but was heading to fa.

Right. But I think the cutoff is June 1, and not the end of the finals. At least I know it is for junior players.

Ullmark?   

I can see Peterson signing and playing the season out in Rochester once ND's season comes to a close, he won't be NHL ready right out of the gate.

Should Lehner be unable to stay healthy I'd expect Ullmark to take over the reigns as starter.    He could legit be the long term #1 tendy even before Thanksgiving.

Quick now, how many current NHL #1s became #1s in their second year as a pro or sooner?

How many goalies in the past 10 years became a legitimate #1 before they turned 24?

Quick now, how many current NHL #1s became #1s in their second year as a pro or sooner?

How many goalies in the past 10 years became a legitimate #1 before they turned 24?

This will be Ullmark's 4th season as a pro.    He's Buffalo's best option if Lehner pulls up lame again, and he played well last season.   Assuming he continues his upward trend, I expect him to be better in this his 4th pro season.    Petersen won't be ready for 2 more years at the earliest.   

The NHL is currently retweeting every World Cup Goalie's thank you to their respective gear manufacturer for their, well. Gear. I think I'm out on the World Cup as currently constituted. Won't be watching or caring about it. Probably wasn't before I saw that, but let's be a bit more ham-fisted in our pursuit of filthy lucre, eh Gary?

The NHL is currently retweeting every World Cup Goalie's thank you to their respective gear manufacturer for their, well. Gear. I think I'm out on the World Cup as currently constituted. Won't be watching or caring about it. Probably wasn't before I saw that, but let's be a bit more ham-fisted in our pursuit of filthy lucre, eh Gary?

I'll say again. It may be an odd reason to not be interested in it, but to me, this doesn't have the feel of a world tournament. It feels like an NHL marketing tournament. Maybe the product on the ice will be great and I'll be compelled to watch, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

At this point all I'm hoping for is the Sabres players to come out healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.