World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

It still won't be as good as Canada, but if the Olympics are a go, the US can run a center spine of Eichel-Matthews-Johnson-Galchenyuk. That's the best group they've iced in at least three Olympics. I think they could mount a real challenge if the right choices are made with the rest of the roster.

Without question, a properly assembled USA roster would provide the biggest challenge to Canada. It's only going to get tighter as more and more USA born players are finding themselves at or near the top of the draft each year. 

Were you not yet around during 1980? Nothing will ever beat that year for US hockey.

The confluence of events, probability, and context makes that tourny the most memorable and powerful sporting event of my lifetime. I can tell you where I was and who I was with for both the USSR and Finland games. Chills ...

I was born in 1985 :)

My parents took me to Lake Placid on vacation when I was younger, and I could feel the aura of that place, for whatever it's worth. I'd say I'd kill to have been an adult sports fan for it, but then I'd be old now, so naaaaaah :nana:

Probably was cool for the adults, but being a kid - there was absolutely nothing like the '80 Olympic win. Still get goosebumps thinking about it. Like Neo, I remember exactly where I was for both the USSR & Finland games.

Probably was cool for the adults, but being a kid - there was absolutely nothing like the '80 Olympic win. Still get goosebumps thinking about it. Like Neo, I remember exactly where I was for both the USSR & Finland games.

Unless you were there you saw it on tape delay in the evening like everyone else.

Unless you were there you saw it on tape delay in the evening like everyone else.

Actually, I did have to watch it on ABC because I was at a swim meet. We were getting updates from the scorers table and heard that the US had tied it while waiting to get on the blocks to swim a relay. The whole place went nuts. Even bigger cheer when we took the lead. The whole thing was surreal. (No idea if we won or lost the meet.)

BUT, had I been home, would have watched it live on CBC. Would've been snowy, but that's ok.

As it was, raced home and caught the rebroadcast.

And, as you know, ABC showed the Finland game live.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read that when this was announced, it was said the NA and Europe teams were only there for this one year, because they didn't have time to stage qualifying for the final two spots.

This is true, and the Globe and Mail confirmed it the other day that the organizers would like to go away from this format and get more national teams with qualifying. The Europe and NA teams seemed too much of a gimmick to me to be honest.

I wonder who will be the host in 2020?

You probably were in school, like the rest of us, for the USSR one.  It wasn't televised live.

You probably were in school, like the rest of us, for the USSR one.  It wasn't televised live.

You were in school at 5PM on a Friday? I'm calling BS on that.

Like I said, I was at a swim meet so I didn't watch it live. I still have great memories of that evening. & did watch the ABC coverage.

But, THE US Soviet game was broadcast live on Channel 9 out of TO. (Sorry, I'd said it was on CBC, it was actually CTV.) Many in WNY DID watch it live.

Like I said, I was at a swim meet so I didn't watch it live. I still have great memories of that evening. & did watch the ABC coverage.

But, THE US Soviet game was broadcast live on Channel 9 out of TO. (Sorry, I'd said it was on CBC, it was actually CTV.) Many in WNY DID watch it live.

Seems like another controversy. Kind of like the 200,000 plus people who claim to have been at the Comeback game even though the game wasn't sold out and the stadium capacity is only something like 70,000.

Just for the record though even though I was born in 1981 so I obviously wasn't there, I imagine the game was shown live on Canadian TV because it's hockey and that's what I imagine Canadian TV plays (nothing but ice hockey, moose wrangling, and maple syrup chugging contests, right?). Maybe a fashion channel or two where they debate the merits of flannel vs the Canadian tuxedo of blue jeans with a jean jacket, complete with a Rush patch sewn on the back.

Edited by Drunkard

Seems like another controversy. Kind of like the 200,000 plus people who claim to have been at the Comeback game even though the game wasn't sold out and the stadium capacity is only something like 70,000.

Just for the record though even though I was born in 1981 so I obviously wasn't there, I imagine the game was shown live on Canadian TV because it's hockey and that's what I imagine Canadian TV plays (nothing but ice hockey, moose wrangling, and maple syrup chugging contests, right?). Maybe a fashion channel or two where they debate the merits of flannel vs the Canadian tuxedo of blue jeans with a jean jacket, complete with a Rush patch sewn on the back.

Capacity for The Greatest Football Game Ever Played was 80,290. Official attenence was 75,141. Unofficial attendence (at last count, it keeps going up every year ;)) is at 292,316. (Includes people standing in the I & J concourses. :p)

You know us so well.

#Trump

This is starting to sound like one of those war movies when they test some guy to see if he's a spy. "Where were you when you heard about Pearl Harbor?" "I was sitting down to dinner." "It was dinner time when Pearl Harbor happened.. IN BERLIN!"  (I think that's from Stalag 17, right?)

This is starting to sound like one of those war movies when they test some guy to see if he's a spy. "Where were you when you heard about Pearl Harbor?" "I was sitting down to dinner." "It was dinner time when Pearl Harbor happened.. IN BERLIN!"  (I think that's from Stalag 17, right?)

Ha!  Well, I wasn't home.  Maybe some after-school activity?

Ha!  Well, I wasn't home.  Maybe some after-school activity?

Fine. But don't go telling me that I was in school when I'd clearly mentioned where I was during the game. Just because YOU were too young to understand & appreciate the gravity of the event, please don't go casting the rest of us under the same unfavorable light. :p

;) :beer:

I was skiing in Ludlow, Vermont and smoking pot and cigarettes whenever my dad wasn't looking.  I thought he had no idea, even though his sense of smell is better than that of most dogs.  I was 15 which is probably the worst age for the discrepancy between how smart you think you are and how much of a dumbass you really are.

Edited by BagBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.