World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

An exhibition game in September. Wut. This kid is in for a rough ride from the fans.

I suffered through 2 full seasons of absolute s#!t just so Jack Eichel could be a Buffalo Sabre. I haven't witness the Sabres win a playoff game in 5 years. Jack Eichel is in for a rough ride because he isn't just some random player we hope is good. He is the icing on the tank cake and he better be sweet exhibition game or not. If he wants to play floaty summer beer league hockey I suggest he calls up Vesey and they can go to Bahston and do that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I actually think Eichel was smart enough to use last nights game as a practice to learn and play in the system that Todd McLellan wants them to use. Once the elimination games start I think we'll see a different Jack. And he wasn't bad last night.

If you think this tournament is (or should be) anything more than floaty beer league hockey then that's your problem.

McDavid wasn't playing beer league hockey. MacKinnon wasn't playing beer league hockey.

Why is it when anyone around here questions some Eichel did it is met with similar thoughts or reactions. Oh he's a rookie, no you're overreactive, it is still just beer league hockey, this season doesn't matter anyways. if Sam Reinhart so much as shoots wide that guy is a smallish forward who is just meh. 

I actually think Eichel was smart enough to use last nights game as a practice to learn and play in the system that Todd McLellan wants them to use. Once the elimination games start I think we'll see a different Jack. And he wasn't bad last night.

He wasn't bad. No one on team USA was bad. But when our franchise center goes out there and is just okay, in a game of other young stars, I don't have to like. I expect more of Jack going forward and I am mystified by having to defend saying "jack eichel could have been better last night, he floated a bit too much".  

I suffered through 2 full seasons of absolute s#!t just so Jack Eichel could be a Buffalo Sabre. I haven't witness the Sabres win a playoff game in 5 years. Jack Eichel is in for a rough ride because he isn't just some random player we hope is good. He is the icing on the tank cake and he better be sweet exhibition game or not. If he wants to play floaty summer beer league hockey I suggest he calls up Vesey and they can go to Bahston and do that. 

I think he's the whole damn cake less the icing.  Nylander would be the icing (by-product of the tank) and Reinhart is probably the filling.  But it's a high-end cream cheese type filling you would find at a high end bake shop in a downtown setting.  Not the basic kind you would find at Wegmans.

I think he's the whole damn cake less the icing.  Nylander would be the icing (by-product of the tank) and Reinhart is probably the filling.  But it's a high-end cream cheese type filling you would find at a high end bake shop in a downtown setting.  Not the basic ###### kind you would find at Wegmans.

lol.

My point being I think it is fair to criticize the game he played last night. Did he get better as the game went on, yes. Saying he was a little floaty last night and needed to engage more, fair evaluation. If Jack comes in next game is dominates than awesome. I think that could happen but last night, after 5 months of not seeing Jack play, I personally was not impressed with parts of his game, especially early on.

Also... HOLY ####### #### ### ####### ###### ###### #### ####### ##### ####### Batman! we are talking about hockey again!

It may be time to up the dosage.

dosage of Eichel playing good hockey? I concur. 

Well - here's the thing: You're unable to control what Eichel does or does not do (try as you might - you can't telekinetically direct him on the ice (to stop him from "floating") or force him to shorten his stick). You are, however, able to control that with which you are medicating yourself. Like I said: You may want to consider a higher dose of whatever it is.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Well - here's the thing: You're unable to control what Eichel does or does not do (try as you might - you can't telekinetically direct him on the ice (to stop him from "floating") or force him to shorten his stick). You are, however, able to control that with which you are medicating yourself. Like I said: You may want to consider a higher dose of whatever it is.

Because I criticized Jack Eichel? 

Because I criticized Jack Eichel in early September in connection with a pick-up tournament that is mostly just for funsies with regard to a game in which he started a little slowly but finished up more than fine and in so doing sounded like I was going a little overboard

As modified, yes.

Yep, Jack is in for a rough year.

When you are held to the standard of "savior" as the manifestation of the debt owed for having to suffer through past failures, there is absolutely zero tolerance for anything less than full payment; every second of every shift of every game.

We will have our pound of flesh !

Again, show me where I go "overboard".  I said Jack was floaty. If that is overboard, well I better dive right in then.

Not interested in doing so. You may be getting blamed for an accumulation of griping that others did. If so, I apologize.

Edit: Your rejoinder about how you've lived through the Sabres' down times, and Jack is the icing or the cake or whatever -- a bit much there. A bit.

I'm out. Can't even talk about anything here anymore. 

Never a bad idea to log off for a while when people get annoying (and that can and does include me (being annoying)). 

Edited by That Aud Smell

As modified, yes.

Man, it's hockey season. We just went through a full summer. We saw Jack doing some things we've seen him do last year and want him to grow out of, we point it out. We know he'll be fine. We also want him to dominate out there. I don't see what the problem is.

I'll echo Swamp's sentiment that he is being calculated about learning the system/trying in an exhibition game, and that he got better after the first period. I echo my sentiment that Jack tears it up this year. I don't think that changes anything I've said so far. (I understand that I am one of the only people who will be on the shorter-stick wagon ant will gladly take any criticism for that particular stance, I don't expect it to be popular.)

Amen

I, too, wanted Eichel to show better in the first half of the game. The stick length stuff though is meh, whatever. Maybe he'd be better in tight, but it would also take away some of what makes him special. Let Jack be Jack.

As to his 200 foot game, I think people are routinely equating back checking with defensive play. He had a few nice back checks, so to whoever wrote that article, it was a good defensive game.

I think he's the whole damn cake less the icing. Nylander would be the icing (by-product of the tank) and Reinhart is probably the filling. But it's a high-end cream cheese type filling you would find at a high end bake shop in a downtown setting. Not the basic ###### kind you would find at Wegmans.

I find Wegmans cakes, in general, to be quite lacking. It feels like the batter is three times as heavy as it should be.

I find Wegmans cakes, in general, to be quite lacking. It feels like the batter is three times as heavy as it should be.

Wegmans is great at many things. Cakes are not among those things.

There are grocery stores that do a very good job with cakes, though. Giant Eagle, for one.

Last season, I felt there were many game day threads where people were too quick to excuse Jack for the type of play LGR is talking about. This season I wonder if people are going to be too quick to critique him.

Interesting take - at first, I didn't realize what you were saying. Subtle.

He was a rookie last year. This year, a second year pro. It struck me last year that the "floating" that people see is part of a process whereby he is trying to figure out the game at this level. I can't imagine anyone would suggest that he floats because he's lazy, uncommitted, not hockey smart, etc. Seems like he's trying to figure sh1t out.

I feel the weight, rush, and push of modernity when people start priming the pump for Eichel criticism. Slow. Yo. Roll, fellas.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.