GDT: Buffalo @ Columbus, 7:00 pm est, 2-19-2016

WildCard

What about McGinn though? If he keeps scoring and the team keeps winning a bit before the deadline, the optics of dealing perhaps your leading goal scorer for pucks at the deadline would be terrible for a franchise struggling to turn the fans on, to the point where professing love for Leafs fans recently didn't seem like such a bad idea.

I'd hate to see McGinn go, unless there is a Moulson-style nudge-nudge, wink-wink deal to bring him back.

Rarely does the general population like tv people. Look at all the national guys who are widely regarded by those inside of the game to be great who get pretty much nothing but hate from all fan bases...

I think Dunleavy is good. I think Doc Emrick is great. RJ is a unique talent so I think Dunleavy may be suffering from being his follower but I think he'll do a fine job. I like the guy and the talent.

Doc is fine. NBCSN feeds are really bad about random stories and junk being talked about during gameplay. And I refuse to believe that tv only guys are fine because they're "highly regarded." So? If the general population doesn't like them then that should speak for itself. TV is for the viewers, not "those inside the game," whatever that means.

What about McGinn though? If he keeps scoring and the team keeps winning a bit before the deadline, the optics of dealing perhaps your leading goal scorer for pucks at the deadline would be terrible for a franchise struggling to turn the fans on, to the point where professing love for Leafs fans recently didn't seem like such a bad idea.

ZFG

Basically never. I also don't care that he's bad on the radio because I'm of the opinion that they may (and should) transition to separate broadcasts once RJ retires.

I know it's about being "professional" but I have never understood why TV guys figure they have to be laid back story-tellers.

Descriptive, emotional play-by-play is more engaging whether you can see what's going on or not.

For my first post, all I'd like to say is...

Let's go Buffalo!!

Welcome.

We are really, really international now.

Do you get to watch Sabre games way down there?

I have always wanted to visit NZ. It's a county very much like Canada, from what I hear. Beautiful, to be sure.

Rarely does the general population like tv people. Look at all the national guys who are widely regarded by those inside of the game to be great who get pretty much nothing but hate from all fan bases...

I think Dunleavy is good. I think Doc Emrick is great. RJ is a unique talent so I think Dunleavy may be suffering from being his follower but I think he'll do a fine job. I like the guy and the talent.

Sorry bit on radio he is in my opinion terrible. Seems like a nice guy but I find it hard to listen to radio broadcasts anymore.

The most important skill a play by play announcer needs, is the ability to keep up with the play. Radio or TV, Dunleavey fails miserably at this; always a second or two lag time between the action and his description and he frequently confuses himself as well as his audience. He is a dial-up connection in the age of broadband. Perhaps the worst PbP guy I have ever heard.

GO SABRES!!!

Dunleavy's strength is fitting his knowledge of the game into play by play. His glaring weakness is the laughably scripted and uncomfortable goal calls. Its like he's still trying them out in front of the mirror. Was surprised to see people appreciating the "big heart reinhart" or "who needs batman when you have robin?". So bad...

McGinn understands its a business and really enjoys the locker room here. I think that is one thing we have going that we have not in the last few years. Players enjoy coming to work. The team is close and the coach is a player's coach. I think that bumps us up a few notches when he's evaluating his options next off-season. Get a second for him, leave on good terms, and begin discussions in the offseason. 

So his goal calls are terrible? That's the entire point of many of RJ's beloved calls.

And it was "Sam Reinhart is all heart as he drives to the net."

Yes his goal calls are terrible in my opinion. And no that's not the point to RJ's calls. His may be simple but they have a sense of spontaneity that match the moment. And to compare where mama hides the cookies or someone call the cops to who needs batman when you have robin or big heart sam heart for their supposed endearing terribleness is pretty off. (the latter wasn't so awful but the play didn't warrant it. sam went to the net but was mostly untouched and flipped the puck over the glove.)

The two issues with Dunleavy's calls are that they mostly consist of bad, unfunny puns and these bad, unfunny puns often seem overplanned and unnatural. It's all a bit awkward. 

Obviously, this is my opinion. I'm just surprised people enjoy it. 

In the spirit of a Gordie Howe hat trick, can we say last night was a Robin Lehner hat trick? He got a shutout, a scrap and 1st star.

A fight, a penalty and a shut out.

Gotta be something else that works for that, because w/ the 1st set of 3 if you get the 1st 2, you almost HAVE to get the 3rd. And in the 2nd set, there is no way you can get the 1st w/out getting the 2nd. Kind of like if you get 3 assists you by definition have at leadt 3 points.

I'm thinking it has to be something more akin to a (likely to this point imaginary) Ron Hextall hat trick - a shutout, a skirmish, & a point (would've gone w/ a goal for the 3rd, but only ~8 goalies have 1 so an assist should count IMHO).

Gotta be something else that works for that, because w/ the 1st set of 3 if you get the 1st 2, you almost HAVE to get the 3rd. And in the 2nd set, there is no way you can get the 1st w/out getting the 2nd. Kind of like if you get 3 assists you by definition have at leadt 3 points.

I'm thinking it has to be something more akin to a (likely to this point imaginary) Ron Hextall hat trick - a shutout, a skirmish, & a point (would've gone w/ a goal for the 3rd, but only ~8 goalies have 1 so an assist should count IMHO).

I was thinking the same thing. It would be interesting to know if Hextall had more Hextall's then Howe had Howe's.

It would not surprise me if they go to separate broadcasts next season. Andrew Peters has done radio color commentary a few times this season when they have separated TV and Radio and I believe he will get that role on a full time basis. The main question would be who would be the PBP Person on the radio side.

Yes his goal calls are terrible in my opinion. And no that's not the point to RJ's calls. His may be simple but they have a sense of spontaneity that match the moment. And to compare where mama hides the cookies or someone call the cops to who needs batman when you have robin or big heart sam heart for their supposed endearing terribleness is pretty off. (the latter wasn't so awful but the play didn't warrant it. sam went to the net but was mostly untouched and flipped the puck over the glove.)

The two issues with Dunleavy's calls are that they mostly consist of bad, unfunny puns and these bad, unfunny puns often seem overplanned and unnatural. It's all a bit awkward. 

Obviously, this is my opinion. I'm just surprised people enjoy it. 

I agree Dunleavy is a mixed bag of nuts at this point, and his goal calls can be off-kilter, but I do enjoy "the Eichel Tower".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.