GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

Yeah, it's interesting. I love his bow and arrow one, but I don't know if it would go over well in the NHL.

Is that one from college?

It needs a nickname. The Noisemaker?

I don't know why but I immediately liked that name. Not sure anyone else has a nickname for their celey though. Kane has a pretty recognizable one too, so does Ovie. Though I'm pretty sure there's are similar to one another, and Jack's for that matter. 

Is that one from college?

Yeah, here's a variation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjAwTt3JseA

I can't find the one that looks like a bow and arrow exactly, but there's a celebration where instead of pumping his fist he draws it back from the stick slowly like he's an archer. He also has one from the same kneeling/stick position where he drags his fist on the ice like Briere used to. They're all very fun.

Thanks, pA. And, yeah, I didn't hear RJ's call on that goal. Only the sound of blood pulsing through my head.

I'll go back and re-listen now.

Your couch is going to get jealous. You keep leaving it for another man.

Keen eye, sir. It's true. Kid's had me standing twice already. I think some of that reaction owes to hype fulfilled, hope anticipated and delivered. But some of it is just the purity of those plays themselves.

wow, i haven't had that much fun attending a Sabres game in a long time. Eichel was so amazing. I was already blown away from what I've seen on TV, but seeing him in person for the first time was incredible. his goal was a thing of beauty from start to finish, and was the perfect cherry on top of an already outstanding performance from him. he had several exciting rushes earlier in the game -- i'm sure it's an exaggeration to say "every" time he touched the puck became a scoring chance, but it sure felt that way some times. he showed some sick stick handling and in the second period had a few very near misses. 

i also love his confidence.. to bust out that spin move in the situations he uses it in is great to see. i think counting pre-season we've seen that move 4 or 5 times in competitive action now. it hasn't failed him yet. IIRC he pulled it off twice on one shift last night.

ennis and o'reilly showed some awesome chemistry, too. They had two or three really nice cycles / give & go's that ended with O'Reilly getting a pretty good scoring chance in close.

speaking of Ennis: I heard on the post game show on WGR -- I think it was Paul Hamilton but could be wrong -- said he thought Ennis was trying to do too much by himself at times early on in the game and wasn't using his team mates, but i didn't really see it that way. He was ducking and dodging their entire team and had some essentially end-to-end type of rushes, but i didn't view it as a "lack of using his team mates" so much as just trying to make something happen and taking what was there. they were off to a slow start and he was definitely giving them a spark in my eyes. or maybe i'm just a bias fan who gets excited by guys who can skate that fast lol. 

the play that resulted in ROR's goal was really nice. the team as a whole is definitely starting to gel.

evander kane was also very impressive. it didn't really show up on the score sheet but he won pretty much every race into the left corner, and usually came up with control of the puck.

Edited by thesportsbuff

(Continued)

Yike-ul! I heard it again. Definitely planned this time. First time planned as well? Probably. Obviously a little strange.

But RJ has earned the right to play free form jazz before a festival audience.

Also, RJ's "Wwooo!" said it all.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Man what a game. I don't normally bother posting much here, but I'm still excited from that game yesterday. I can't remember the last time I was this excited.

Our offense was finally humming, especially on PP. Our defense/PK still needs some help, but overall a much better effort in that game than the previous two.

And that Eichel goal...I can't stop rewatching it.

No Twitter war today. Eichel #3 on SC top 10.

I meant to record sportscenter last night. Only number 3, I guess that's still pretty good for hockey.

I had a fantasy last year that when the Sabres got good, Gionta would resign as captain because there were candidates that just commanded it. So far Girgs and Eich command it. It would actually be cool if they did it as a ceremony: Gionta and Gorges, ceremonially remove the C and A from their jerseys and "knight" Eichel and Girgensons (with a real sword) and present them with their letters. Too hokey, I know, but it would be cool.

I think it's too early to decide on Eichel, but I'd be comfortable with Girgs being our Captain next year. I'm not really a fan of the trend of making your best scorer your Captain personally. I thing Girgs is the perfect fit for Captain. Toss Eichel an A eventually maybe, but best to just let him focus on his game than leading the team. I wouldn't mind seeing Gionta turn the team over to Girgensons this year. I figure he'll be our captain until he retires though.

Would think O'Reilly would have had more issues moving to the LW when you hear the Colorado fans.

Also seems to me Bylsma won't play with fixed lines, He'll juggle them around as he sees fit.

He's pretty much playing center in the O-zone. And sliding to W responsibilities in the D zone. It is paying off, it is allowing him to go deeper in the O-zone and set up behind the net offensively without worrying about covering the middle going back. 

(Continued)

Yike-ul! I heard it again. Definitely planned this time. First time planned as well? Probably. Obviously a little strange.

But RJ has earned the right to play free form jazz before a festival audience.

Also, RJ's "Wwooo!" said it all.

Methinks Yeichel would work a lot better with a younger Rick's more flexible pipes. He needs his voice to crack at the Yeich part.

I loved the Eichel goal, but I even moreso loved our PP. Three PP goals in one game? Wow this feels nearly as much as we had last whole season.

I also like that Moulson scored and assisted today. I alway think he is useless and then he scores.

What I cannot understand is the line juggling from Disco Dan. I think this is strange.

With regard to Chad Johnson.

Boy he is bad, I think he has the worst rebound control ever. Did you see Toyotas big save of the game? I nearly pissed in my pants because of laughing so hard.

I'm late to the party, but here are my takeaways from yesterday:

--This team came out FLYING for the first ten minutes.  I mean Western Conference playoff style flying.  I haven't seen this in, since, well, ???  The Arena was pretty much in reverent awe at what we were seeing.

--The rest of the game, they remained solid.  They played with a lot of urgency.  I kept thinking they would run out of gas, and they didn't.

--Not to say that every aspect of the game was beautiful.  One Buffalo powerplay, Karlsson had the puck tied up in the Buffalo end for a good 30 seconds while Kane, Eichel, and Reinhart all were trying to work it away from him.  Not only did he keep the puck, he would have had a shorthanded goal if he didn't Zhitnik the shot.

--Johnson still worries me.  First period, he's standing straight up, looking upward for the puck.  Can't find it.  Meanwhile, five players are jamming the crease around him.  Second goal should have been stopped.

--Gotta let some lines jell already.

--McGinn plays with a lot, lot of jam.  I'm coming around on him.

--O'Reilly and Moulson were solid at both ends.

--Nothing to say about the Eichel goal that hasn't been said, I'm betting.

--All in all, a nice game.  But against a very, very bad team.

Edited by eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.