GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

Even 2006 Rick could carry off the call.

What's he going for, though? Playing off "Yikes"? "Yahtzee"?

Yeichel sounds like a Yiddish word. Then that yeichel tried to cut in line at the deli.

This is my first post on the new gizmo. And my first from the Queen City. I'm at the VA Hospital and I'm pretty sure the WWII vet next to me could have typed this faster!

evander kane was also very impressive. it didn't really show up on the score sheet but he won pretty much every race into the left corner, and usually came up with control of the puck.

Evander Kane had a great game and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.  He doesn't hesitate to chase down the puck and throw a big hit on the forecheck. And when he does lay the body on, he doesn't take himself out of the play.  Plus he isn't afraid to throw the puck on net if other options aren't there. The Kane-Eichel combo is going to terrorize defenses this year.  

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

I missed the 3rd period because of class, but I saw the replays. ROR looked like he was advertised by True to be, and Eichel's goal, I mean come on. The kid can score from anywhere on the ice. He could've easily had 2 more points on the Kane 2-1's

God that is a beautiful sight

I think this might be the first time I've ever seen you optimistic   :lol:

The Eichel reaction picks are hilarious btw, well done Assquatch and IKP

My advanced stats tell me he's scored his two goals from almost the exact same spot. :)

Jackets fan(s) seem to be having a mini meltdown.

I think there's going to be quite a few fanbases that will continue to consider a loss to the Sabres as the benchmark for utter suckery, not realizing that we're vastly improved.

We'd be melting down too if the Sabres were 0-3. If fans don't realize the Sabres are better, they aren't good fans. If someone sees Kane, O'Reilly and Eichel do they not recognize them.

From Foligno and Kane

Foligno get the hell off the power play jesus

You have this strange thing for Foligno.  He has 2 assists, both on the power play.  I'm thinking he's not as ineffective as you might think he is.  It's when the player ends up in a spot where they aren't supposed to be that bad things happen. He's not really supposed to be on the wall.  It happens.

It needs a nickname. The Noisemaker?

"Here We Go Now"

Yeichel sounds like a Yiddish word. Then that yeichel tried to cut in line at the deli.

This is my first post on the new gizmo. And my first from the Queen City. I'm at the VA Hospital and I'm pretty sure the WWII vet next to me could have typed this faster!

Was thinking the same thing. Like RJ was going for some sort of Yiddish joke that nobody got. Old people humor I guess. 

Jackets fan(s) seem to be having a mini meltdown.

I think there's going to be quite a few fanbases that will continue to consider a loss to the Sabres as the benchmark for utter suckery, not realizing that we're vastly improved.

Living in Columbus and having friends that are Jackets fans, I pay attention to them casually.

OK, tell me if this sounds eerily similar to something we lived through in the not-so-distant past.

2012-2013: Finished tied for 8th in Western Conference with Minnesota but lost the tiebreaker and missed the playoffs.  Started out 5-12-3.  Finished 24-17-7.

2013-2014: Finished 7th in Eastern Conference and lost to Pittsburgh in first round of playoffs.  Started out 10-14-3.  Finished 43-32-7.

2014-2015: Finished 11th in Eastern Conference.  Started out 6-15-2.  Finished 42-35-5.

2015-2016: So far have started 0-3.

The Blue Jackets have taken the old Sabres' "heroic run to 8th" strategy and have heroically run with it.  These slow starts have killed them and even though by the end of the season they are one of the better teams in the league, they buried themselves in a huge hole that they usually can not get out of.  And even if they do barely squeak in they get eliminated by a top seed.

They give up so many points at the beginning of every year and it just kills them in March and April.  My supervisor who is a huge fan just shakes his head over this.  I just tell him "I've been there":  No man's land in the draft and no man's land for the playoffs.

Well, since we're talking aesthetics, you can't remove the context in which Eichel's goal was scored. Beyond the execution and speed of the wrist shot, you have its lack of telegraphing and acute accuracy. Most guys would shoot that somewhere into the goalie, or far wide. But, none of that happens without Eichel just stopping time to retrieve the puck after an errant pass.

I will give you that Bob's reaction to the ROR goal was notable, but the goal itself was, at best, an ideal PP goal. That, of course, is good, but, again, if we're comparing aesthetics, the Eichel goal was, sublime.

This game was a blast... Maybe my favorite Sabres game I've ever attended.

Started the day off at (716) which I know is going to sound too mainstream for many but that place just has a great feel and solid food for a low price.

While sitting at lunch I got contacted by the Sabres letting me know I had won ropeline passes which was definitely a cool experience in the first intermission (Pysyk was the only one to say anything to the fans and made sure to fist bump everybody). Others like Larsson and Zemgus just fist bumped everybody but didn't say anything. Really cool to see them get ready to get on the ice and pump each other up. The lady was most excited about seeing Evander Kane but I'm not sure exactly why (just kidding).

The Eichel and O'Reilly goals were right in front of us and we had the perfect angle to see them go in. I just kept yelling "wow what a goal" after the Eichel goal. It was better than it seemed.

Overall the effort was great.

Some individual reviews:

- Eichel is everything we want and more, but you already know that. Every time I think he might be holding the puck too long or trying to do too much with it something impressive happens. Hasn't made a huge physical impact off the puck yet but he's willing to battle. The hits will follow.

- O'Reilly was great yesterday. That shot was perfect. The angle we had was basically a perfect line from the puck to the net on that one and I didn't notice how open the net was until he shot it. Bob didn't even budge. Really looking forward to his role on this team.

- Risto made another bad play behind his net but otherwise was very solid. He seemed to be having so much fun out there.

- Pysyk may be our most reliable defender. I don't think the kid can make a mistake. So smooth and calm with the puck no matter who is around him. It's almost like he just blocks out the other team and makes the play he would make in practice without defenders. I'm glad he's finally here to stay.

- Reinhart made one or two nice plays later in the game but overall he was the only real negative yesterday. Does he have weak wrists or something? Every time he needs to make a play it comes off his stick weaker than it should. He's also not very precise when he plays having missed a few easy plays because he was off by a foot or more.

- Larsson should be on this team now and forever. He's sneaky physical and seems to always be able to make something happen (whether it be a nice hit, overworking somebody on the boards, a nice pass or finding the open space for a shot).

- Kane is another player I have been satisfied with so far, but I worry about him getting frustrated or discouraged if he slips into a funk. Obviously his first goal was wiped off the board and I wonder what that may have done to him mentally.

- Franson has gotten a little better moving around the ice. I wasn't very confident in any part of his game in the preseason and first two games aside from his shot but he looked more comfortable yesterday.

- Moulson's pass on that O'Reilly goal is the type of stuff you see broken down on NHLN/TSN. The Red Wings make nice passes like that all the time, so it was nice to see us finally doing it. Beautiful play. I didn't like seeing Moulson trying to carry the puck up the ice on the power play, though. I'd like them to keep him off the puck as much as possible if it isn't around the net.

Edited by Hoss

This is hilarious, and somehow depressing at the same time. Just imagine if we really did end up with Strome? That article probably wouldn't be far off.

Living in Columbus and having friends that are Jackets fans, I pay attention to them casually.

OK, tell me if this sounds eerily similar to something we lived through in the not-so-distant past.

2012-2013: Finished tied for 8th in Western Conference with Minnesota but lost the tiebreaker and missed the playoffs.  Started out 5-12-3.  Finished 24-17-7.

2013-2014: Finished 7th in Eastern Conference and lost to Pittsburgh in first round of playoffs.  Started out 10-14-3.  Finished 43-32-7.

2014-2015: Finished 11th in Eastern Conference.  Started out 6-15-2.  Finished 42-35-5.

2015-2016: So far have started 0-3.

The Blue Jackets have taken the old Sabres' "heroic run to 8th" strategy and have heroically run with it.  These slow starts have killed them and even though by the end of the season they are one of the better teams in the league, they buried themselves in a huge hole that they usually can not get out of.  And even if they do barely squeak in they get eliminated by a top seed.

They give up so many points at the beginning of every year and it just kills them in March and April.  My supervisor who is a huge fan just shakes his head over this.  I just tell him "I've been there":  No man's land in the draft and no man's land for the playoffs.

This is also awesome, definitely something I haven't considered. It's nice to see someone else go through the Regier model

And nice write-up Hoss

I figured out the "Yeichel" thing. It's a soft "J" combined with "Eichel". Like "Juan" or, phonetically, "hwahn".

"Hwy-kal" - this is RJ, cheesy to the core.

He sees "JEichel" or "Jeichel".

I get that. I did think of that. It's just a weird choice on his part. I'm not saying I can't cotton to it, but it's odd.

In this alternate universe, GMTM just went to bed and didn't get back up after drafting Strome? Great... another "this is why we tanked." Original.

I get that. I did think of that. It's just a weird choice on his part. I'm not saying I can't cotton to it, but it's odd.

It's not a soft J though. Not even close.

I was looking up variations on what could be "Yeichel" when I was struck with that realization. It's the most simple thing and makes sense because of that.

Also, it sounds like "Yike - al", which, again, is RJ in his cheesy glory.

It blows. I can't accept it. Shades of Sahara.

Yes.

This game was a blast... Maybe my favorite Sabres game I've ever attended.

Started the day off at (716) which I know is going to sound too mainstream for many but that place just has a great feel and solid food for a low price.

While sitting at lunch I got contacted by the Sabres letting me know I had won ropeline passes which was definitely a cool experience in the first intermission (Pysyk was the only one to say anything to the fans and made sure to fist bump everybody). Others like Larsson and Zemgus just fist bumped everybody but didn't say anything. Really cool to see them get ready to get on the ice and pump each other up. The lady was most excited about seeing Evander Kane but I'm not sure exactly why (just kidding).

The Eichel and O'Reilly goals were right in front of us and we had the perfect angle to see them go in. I just kept yelling "wow what a goal" after the Eichel goal. It was better than it seemed.

Overall the effort was great.

Some individual reviews:

- Eichel is everything we want and more, but you already know that. Every time I think he might be holding the puck too long or trying to do too much with it something impressive happens. Hasn't made a huge physical impact off the puck yet but he's willing to battle. The hits will follow.

- O'Reilly was great yesterday. That shot was perfect. The angle we had was basically a perfect line from the puck to the net on that one and I didn't notice how open the net was until he shot it. Bob didn't even budge. Really looking forward to his role on this team.

- Risto made another bad play behind his net but otherwise was very solid. He seemed to be having so much fun out there.

- Pysyk may be our most reliable defender. I don't think the kid can make a mistake. So smooth and calm with the puck no matter who is around him. It's almost like he just blocks out the other team and makes the play he would make in practice without defenders. I'm glad he's finally here to stay.

- Reinhart made one or two nice plays later in the game but overall he was the only real negative yesterday. Does he have weak wrists or something? Every time he needs to make a play it comes off his stick weaker than it should. He's also not very precise when he plays having missed a few easy plays because he was off by a foot or more.

- Larsson should be on this team now and forever. He's sneaky physical and seems to always be able to make something happen (whether it be a nice hit, overworking somebody on the boards, a nice pass or finding the open space for a shot).

- Kane is another player I have been satisfied with so far, but I worry about him getting frustrated or discouraged if he slips into a funk. Obviously his first goal was wiped off the board and I wonder what that may have done to him mentally.

- Franson has gotten a little better moving around the ice. I wasn't very confident in any part of his game in the preseason and first two games aside from his shot but he looked more comfortable yesterday.

- Moulson's pass on that O'Reilly goal is the type of stuff you see broken down on NHLN/TSN. The Red Wings make nice passes like that all the time, so it was nice to see us finally doing it. Beautiful play. I didn't like seeing Moulson trying to carry the puck up the ice on the power play, though. I'd like them to keep him off the puck as much as possible if it isn't around the net.

Glad you had a good day.

Agree w/ quite a fair amount of your post. Biggest exception is, I don't expect that "the hits will follow" for Eichel. He's going to play Lemieux's game (& I don't mean Clod nor his kid's game ;)). With his size, speed, & vision; he won't have to hit people to win battles - he'll just outmuscle them and make it look easy. W/ his hands, I don't want him hitting people. Keep playing Mario's style game (but w/ a backcheck) & when all is said & done, he canbe in some lengthy discussions about where he fits in w/ the best of his generation.

What if Rick put it at the end? "Eichel with a breakaway, he shoots, he scoooooores! And the Sabres on the shorthanded goal take a 2-1 lead. Yeichel!"

The best he can do with it is "Eichel scooorreees! Yikes All!"

But, no, he needs to take this one back to the drawing board. It's too forced.

The best he can do with it is "Eichel scooorreees! Yikes All!"But, no, he needs to take this one back to the drawing board. It's too forced.

Maybe it's an attempted tribute to recently passed Casey Kasem - a stylized Shaggy "yoikes!" :unsure: :lol:

"Hey, Scoob, you see that? Yoik-el!"

"Ri ruv ru Raggy! Hee, hee, hee, hee."

Yeah, got nuthin'. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.