GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

True but I also think maybe 5 other players in the league can do everything Jack did there. Just stoopid. Shamefully, my eyes welled up in that moment.

Be interesting to see where he ends up on next year's top 50 players lists. My money says it's a smidge higher than #50. ;)

That's why we tanked.

This is good sig line material.

https://adprice.fedorapeople.org/img/freakout.gif

Gotta love the Sabres shower curtain!

NO WAI.

Is that shopped or was that real?

Saw that too. He might be the obvious captain sooner than expected.

I had a fantasy last year that when the Sabres got good, Gionta would resign as captain because there were candidates that just commanded it. So far Girgs and Eich command it. It would actually be cool if they did it as a ceremony: Gionta and Gorges, ceremonially remove the C and A from their jerseys and "knight" Eichel and Girgensons (with a real sword) and present them with their letters. Too hokey, I know, but it would be cool.

Edited by Robins Egg

I'm pretty sure it's someone associated with the broadcast tracking it, because I haven't seen anything official. Secondly, no, the shot stats won't go away. Why? Because some newfangled stuff is showing shot attempts and shot suppression (so shot attempt differential, aka Corsi) may actually be better at predicting success than possession time. The poster child for this is the Avs who manage to maintain a strong cycle and possession in the offensive zone, but don't actually do anything with it--they just cycle around and manage like one shot. So their overall possession as measured by Corsi and the like is really poor AND they end up with poor results in the W/L column. The hypothesis is that Roy has taken the "possession matters" quite literally and is coaching it that way, rather than generating "events." 

The ultimate logic from this is that it doesn't necessarily matter how long you're in a particular zone, but rather, what you do while you're there. So if you're pinned in your own end for 2 minutes but only allow 2 shots, then go to the other end for only 1 minute but produce 4 shots, you're doing well. What say you?

I think we're due for a new stat, something that looks at Corsi/Fenwick events relative to possession time. Of course it has to take into account time of game and score. A team can't be punished for farting around with the puck in the attacking zone while shorthanded or nursing a lead very late in a game. This is fun!

I like this team. And, Moulson is slick, I bet as long as Eichel is here, Moulson won't be traded away; he's Jack's blankie.

I think there's more to Moulson's game than just being a finisher. He's hard on the puck when the opposition has it, and isn't such a bad setup man himself.

I'm sorry to drop in without reading the posts. I will later. Promise.

I just want to say that, when Eichel got to that loose puck, I stood up off the couch, put hands to the head and bellowed "Noooo, he didn't!" (Like, in delighted disbelief.) Scared the crap out of the kids, some of whom were unsure whether 15 had done something wrong.

Then the goal. The kids hooted and hollered. I was still standing in the middle of the room, staring. In disbelief. One of the little ones asked, a little frightened?, "Are you okay?"

"I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that kid is a Sabre."

I just want to say that, when Eichel got to that loose puck, I stood up off the couch, put hands to the head and bellowed "Noooo, he didn't!" (Like, in delighted disbelief.) Scared the crap out of the kids, some of whom were unsure whether 15 had done something wrong.

Then the goal. The kids hooted and hollered. I was still standing in the middle of the room, staring. In disbelief. One of the little ones asked, a little frightened?, "Are you okay?"

Retrieving the puck and outmuscking an NHL player like that is impressive on its own, but that shot not alot of players in the NHL who can make that shot.

The best part about that Eichel goal is how he teleports from down below the faceoff dot up to the blue line in the time it takes for his own deflected shot to complete its bounce. How the f*ck is that even possible?

Vision.  He was smart enough to know he was dumping it into an area where the Blue Jackets might recover it so as soon as he passed it, he went back toward his defensive position.  He wasn't skating that way to score, he was skating back to defend.  And got a lucky bounce.

Which numbers would those be?

I was looking at SportingCharts.com, which has:

Weber #1 in both giveaways/turnovers and worst +/- (4) ratio for turnovers

Second was Pysyk but had an even +/-

Reinhart is third but is credited with a takeaway so I have to give him that.  

They haven't updated with this games stats yet. 

I think he will eventually have a place in the NHL, but for now he might be better served playing 20 minutes in Roc instead of 9:00 like he did tonight. The hree times that he's gotten knocked down that stick in my mind are the Lightning Game at center iced along the board that led to the Lightning entering the zone and twice today killing the momentum on the powerplay. 

Edited by Ottosmagic13

O'Reilly with a great game today. He's starting to get the feel. He's the guy we've needed down low and on the dot. Outstanding game

Thank you for bringing up the dot! Ever since we let Gaustad go, heck it's a wonder we won any draws at all since then. This team is not lame at face-offs.

Okay, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement, but it's only been 3 games.

I was looking at SportingCharts.com, which has:

Weber #1 in both giveaways/turnovers and worst +/- (4) ratio for turnovers

Second was Pysyk but had an even +/-

Reinhart is third but is credited with a takeaway so I have to give him that.  

They haven't updated with this games stats yet. 

I think he will eventually have a place in the NHL, but for now he might be better served playing 20 minutes in Roc instead of 9:00 like he did tonight. The hree times that he's gotten knocked down that stick in my mind are the Lightning Game at center iced along the board that led to the Lightning entering the zone and twice today killing the momentum on the powerplay. 

Those aren't possession numbers necessarily.  Take a look at his Corsi through 2 games http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/reinhsa01-additional.htmlit is well up from last year.

We really need to wait 10-15 games before we can really start to assess individual players.

Edited by LGR4GM

great post man........... :beer:

Can't agree with this more.

You can see that everyone is starting to get a little more comfortable playing with each other so that they can trust each other and not be on the heel of their skates to really drive those battles. This was just a fun game to watch start to finish. Feels great to enjoy watching a Sabres game again.

Is this seriously your username? Come on! I have been sicknfla for god knows how long. You can't find anything a little different?

On another note. Great game today. All my negativity paid off!!

This was essentially me with his SHG in the preseason against Toronto. Just subtract out the kids and add in an impulse mini pack purchase.

Is this seriously your username? Come on! I have been sicknfla for god knows how long. You can't find anything a little different?

On another note. Great game today. All my negativity paid off!!

Weren't you talking the other day about how you were going to change your name?  Oh wait then you flip flopped and started whining again.  There can be a stuck and a sick.  One's an old man and the other is an adorable Kraken.

Those aren't possession numbers necessarily.  Take a look at his Corsi through 2 games http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/r/reinhsa01-additional.htmlit is well up from last year.

We really need to wait 10-15 games before we can really start to assess individual players.

I can totally agree to waiting 10-15 games before passing final judgement

This was essentially me with his SHG in the preseason against Toronto. Just subtract out the kids and add in an impulse mini pack purchase.

When you posted that the other week it was easily one of the funniest things I've read on here. IKP's hot-pocket rant over the summer still takes the cake though

an adorable Kraken.

I want him to post more solely for how awesome that avatar is

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.