GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

The only down side to this game was Reinharts physical play, again. Especially notable on the power play. He was getting thrown around a lot. He might need some time in Roc to develop physically. Mentally and Skills wise he seems ready but his possession numbers are atrocious. Going north south he makes some excellent passes but as soon as he has to dig along the boards he's bested. 

I've though this all along about Samson.  It is a rare exception that a teenager can step into an NHL lineup and be ready from Day 1 and it was obvious last year that Samson wasn't physically ready just yet.  No need to rush him when we have plenty of offensively gifted forwards already.  He can get 20+ minutes per night down on the farm rather than 4th line minutes in Buffalo (he got 9:58 today).

That eichel goal is one of the reasons i was happy to get him and not Mcdavid.

Physically he is stronger than Mcdavid, Can't really see Mcdavid outmuscle NHL players like that from the puck yet.  His shot is wicked,  Its accurate and hard.

H did, and he made other smart plays.  He will get stronger, but sending him to the A will not help his development. He is seeing the game at an NHL pace.

Just put people around him like, Girgensons, Larsson, Kane, McGinn, Foligno who can battle for him.

Great game for the Sabres.  Enjoyed watching with the family.  Eichel is amazing.  What a play he made on his goal.  He's lightning fast, bordering on impossibly fast.  There were several times that he just comes from no where to make a play and everyone else looks like they're standing still.

I missed the 3rd period because of class, but I saw the replays. ROR looked like he was advertised by True to be, and Eichel's goal, I mean come on. The kid can score from anywhere on the ice. He could've easily had 2 more points on the Kane 2-1's

garik16 ‏@garik16  20m20 minutes ago

Via @war_on_ice , the #Sabres score adjusted corsi today of 62.5% was the best Sabres' performance since 2006 (vs Montreal)

God that is a beautiful sight

Most hope I've had at the end of a Sabres win since at least 2009. Just outstanding.

I think this might be the first time I've ever seen you optimistic   :lol:

The Eichel reaction picks are hilarious btw, well done Assquatch and IKP

Matty Moulson played exactly like he needs to in that game.

I love me some Moulson.  1st game: terrible. 2nd game: ok. 3rd game: good.  Hope he can keep it up.  Having Eichel feeding him would certainly help.

I hate Foligno with Eichel and Kane.  That line doesn't possess very well, but they're still decent in the offensive zone because they're so good at retrieving the puck.

Jack. Eichel.  Oh my goodness.

It'll be interesting to see how this squad matches up on the road. I'm scared.

Larsson continues to be a beast.

Via @war_on_ice , the #Sabres score adjusted corsi today of 62.5% was the best Sabres' performance since 2006 (vs Montreal)

OMFG! That's awesome!

Seriously, I saw between periods that they had calculated both the time the puck was in the Columbus end and the time the Sabres controlled the puck in the Columbus end. Is this someone from the broadcast with a stopwatch or is this part of the new-age NHL stats, computer chips etc.? And if we have actual possession stats, can the possession proxies (Corsi, Fenwick, etc.) go away?

garik16@garik16 20m20 minutes ago

Wow.

Also: another pretty solid effort by Ocho Cinco (which is a great nickname, btw). He's not that good at freezing the puck but he seems to stay pretty calm and in position.

And I agree that the D played a very respectable game. I think Dudacek might be overstating it a bit regarding Pysyk but he played a steady 14 min today in a good 3rd-pairing showing and made a number of nice plays. McCabe acquitted himself reasonably well too -- I'm happy to give him another look next game. And Risto played a very strong all-around game.

Just a solid, 200-foot, 60-minute win.

Oh, and Eichel's goal was a superstar's goal. Freaking awesome.

Great game, its these types of games I've certainly missed; where we always seemed in control or at very least neutral. 

Eichel's goal was spectacular, when the puck was sitting there I was thinking, I wish a dman was there and then within a blink Eichel had it, out muscled a guy and came down and made a beautiful shot just inside the far post.

Moulson and O'Reilly helped one another getting their firsts of the season. 

Risto looked big and played big including that nice goal.

Weber is better as a 3rd pairing guy for certain.

Franson + Gorges would make a high end D-man, sadly they are two different players.

The only down side to this game was Reinharts physical play, again. Especially notable on the power play. He was getting thrown around a lot. He might need some time in Roc to develop physically. Mentally and Skills wise he seems ready but his possession numbers are atrocious. Going north south he makes some excellent passes but as soon as he has to dig along the boards he's bested. 

Which numbers would those be?

OMFG! That's awesome!

Seriously, I saw between periods that they had calculated both the time the puck was in the Columbus end and the time the Sabres controlled the puck in the Columbus end. Is this someone from the broadcast with a stopwatch or is this part of the new-age NHL stats, computer chips etc.? And if we have actual possession stats, can the possession proxies (Corsi, Fenwick, etc.) go away?

I'm pretty sure it's someone associated with the broadcast tracking it, because I haven't seen anything official. Secondly, no, the shot stats won't go away. Why? Because some newfangled stuff is showing shot attempts and shot suppression (so shot attempt differential, aka Corsi) may actually be better at predicting success than possession time. The poster child for this is the Avs who manage to maintain a strong cycle and possession in the offensive zone, but don't actually do anything with it--they just cycle around and manage like one shot. So their overall possession as measured by Corsi and the like is really poor AND they end up with poor results in the W/L column. The hypothesis is that Roy has taken the "possession matters" quite literally and is coaching it that way, rather than generating "events." 

The ultimate logic from this is that it doesn't necessarily matter how long you're in a particular zone, but rather, what you do while you're there. So if you're pinned in your own end for 2 minutes but only allow 2 shots, then go to the other end for only 1 minute but produce 4 shots, you're doing well. What say you?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.