Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Ads coming for regular jerseys soon?

NHL is going ahead with jersey ads. League has sold "some sponsorships on the shoulders of the [World Cup] jerseys," acc to @BenFischerSBJ

noooooooooooooo

Hurricanes need to move.  Long overdue, they never fill that place, even for playoff games.

With 30 teams they should move to three 10-team divisions.   The top 16 overall get in the playoffs, 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc....    

Gretzky division:

ANA, LA, SJ, VAN, CGY, WPG, COL, ARI, EDM, DAL

Howe:

DET, MIN, CHI, BUF, TOR, STL, CBJ, MTL, OTT, QBC (CAR)

Lemieux:

PIT, PHI, NYR, NYI, BOS, FLA, TBL, WSH, NSH, NJ

Ads coming for regular jerseys soon?

NHL is going ahead with jersey ads. League has sold "some sponsorships on the shoulders of the [World Cup] jerseys," acc to @BenFischerSBJ

Gary Bettman said this only happens "dragging me kicking and screaming." He shows a surprising awareness of how much hockey fans love their jerseys. Said it would take a ton of money and the marketplace would have to dictate it. Said there will not be any ads on helmets.

Whole thing is worth a watch: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-05-26/nhl-s-bettman-on-jersey-sponsorships-franchises-and-expansion

It would take a ton of money and the marketplace would have to dictate it.

It sounds like they're trying to ease fans into the idea. How could the marketplace dictate that the NHL put ads on their jerseys? That doesn't make sense.

His wording makes it sound like it would need to become the norm of American sports before they did it. I would rather see a few additional ads on the ice before jerseys.

They should have just done, if you are on an ELC or it expires July 1 of the expansion draft year. I feel like the NHL over-complicates things.

But in that case, if it allowed exemptions for players who's ELCs expired the year of expansion draft, it would be allowing exemptions for players entering their 4th pro year. So I can see why they wouldn't want that, and just want players still on ELCs to be exempt. Edited by Thorny

Love those new Panthers sweaters.    Similar to the Senators, but a big improvement over the old colors.

This is the last season of Reebok sweaters, 2017-18 will be Adidas, we'll get an idea of what they'll look like at the World Cup.

Edited by pi2000