Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Hahahahahaha!! I love the unintended consequences of exploiting loopholes by idiots that can't accept rules for which they were intended.

https://twitter.com/eddya52/status/739535936560631808

It would be pretty funny, but my understanding is the consensus is that NMC are exempt.

Edit - just saw Hoss's post in the Stamkos thread. This sh*t is confusing.

2nd edit - looks like all NMCs have to be protected.

Edited by Thorny

Did the league really fail to improve revenues and attendance that much that the cap should fall.  Bettman needs a GOT usurping like Ramses Bolton does to Roose.  Ugh, just another reason to hate Bettman and his boring loathsome self.  This and the NMC garbage with the pending expansion draft.  Why don't you handcuff GM's more.  I know that there are extenuating circumstances (the fluctuation of the Canadian dollar etc.), but this is just crap.  Buffalo may not be as hindered by the cap crunch, but how are you going to tell teams near the floor to add salary, when so many other teams are in cap crunches.  I may not love the Boston's of the world, but that's just harsh. 

Did the league really fail to improve revenues and attendance that much that the cap should fall.

I've been surprised every year it went up. The NHL isn't the NFL or NBA. It's a niche sport with a very finite audience. The fact it went up every year since the lockout was shocking. I'm glad to see the league coming to its senses.

I've been surprised every year it went up. The NHL isn't the NFL or NBA. It's a niche sport with a very finite audience. The fact it went up every year since the lockout was shocking. I'm glad to see the league coming to its senses.

It's almost like the sport of hockey hasn't done enough to make the sport of hockey more entertaining for the masses by oh idk, making the game more end to end and less dump and chase dump and chase dumb and chase dumb and chase dumppppppppp annnnnddddd CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAASEEE

Did the league really fail to improve revenues and attendance that much that the cap should fall.  Bettman needs a GOT usurping like Ramses Bolton does to Roose.  Ugh, just another reason to hate Bettman and his boring loathsome self.  This and the NMC garbage with the pending expansion draft.  Why don't you handcuff GM's more.  I know that there are extenuating circumstances (the fluctuation of the Canadian dollar etc.), but this is just crap.  Buffalo may not be as hindered by the cap crunch, but how are you going to tell teams near the floor to add salary, when so many other teams are in cap crunches.  I may not love the Boston's of the world, but that's just harsh. 

The cap going down would be awesome for us and the handful of teams with plenty of cap space. Teams would have to let very capable players go to get under the cap and teams with cap space like ours would benefit big time. I hope the players association declines to raise the cap. The automatic riser may help RFA's and UFA's but it would hurt all the players already under contract by making them contribute more into escrow.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-dale-hunter-rumours-avalanches-search-defencemen/

At the end: NHL players were told if they don't choose the 5% cap escalator the cap may go DOWN under $70M...

Cap could fall by about $1.5m according to Freidman, or under $70m. The increase/decrease depends on a players vote 

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-salary-cap-fall/

This is a big effing deal. Between shite ratings and the Canadian dollar, this league is poised for a financial correction.

When's the TV contract next being put out to bid?

The cap going down would be awesome for us and the handful of teams with plenty of cap space. Teams would have to let very capable players go to get under the cap and teams with cap space like ours would benefit big time. I hope the players association declines to raise the cap. The automatic riser may help RFA's and UFA's but it would hurt all the players already under contract by making them contribute more into escrow.

Awesome maybe in the near term. But, long term, this is an ominous sign for the league.

Then again, maybe this sort of thing has been a long time coming. Maybe it will ultimately be good for the game.

The tv contract isn't up for bid until 2021. The next TV contract HAS to get every single Stanley Cup final to cable. It's insane that your league's finals is relegated to NBCSN for American Ninja Warrior. Embarrassing.

This is a big effing deal. Between shite ratings and the Canadian dollar, this league is poised for a financial correction.

When's the TV contract next being put out to bid?

Awesome maybe in the near term. But, long term, this is an ominous sign for the league.

Then again, maybe this sort of thing has been a long time coming. Maybe it will ultimately be good for the game.

Are ratings down for local team broadcasts or only the national ones? If they aren't down locally, league profits likely won't suffer much as both national contracts are locked in into the 2020's & I'm pretty sure neither has the cost/revenue sharing components that the 1st NBC deal had coming out of the '04 lockout. Now, Rogers & Comcast (or Specter, Spectrum, whatever the #### it calls itself post TWC merger) are not going to be at all pleased in the ST, but that alone shouldn't effect profitability.

BUT maybe if those 2 take it hard enough they'll pressure the league to make changes to improve the game. Nah. But it was a nice thought. ;)

And unfortunately the C$ effected losses will be offset (for the 30 owners at least) by the expansion fee or 2 that they'll be splitting 30 ways & not after 1st splitting 50-50 w/ the NHLPA. So, again, little pressure / leverage to "fix" the game. (As in correcting it, not the Vegas style meaning. :p)

The tv contract isn't up for bid until 2021. The next TV contract HAS to get every single Stanley Cup final to cable. It's insane that your league's finals is relegated to NBCSN for American Ninja Warrior. Embarrassing.

Do you mean to broadcast TV?

Thanks for the 411.

I'm a little confused: Is NBCSN not part of cable TV?

Are ratings down for local team broadcasts or only the national ones? If they aren't down locally, league profits likely won't suffer much as both national contracts are locked in into the 2020's & I'm pretty sure neither has the cost/revenue sharing components that the 1st NBC deal had coming out of the '04 lockout. Now, Rogers & Comcast (or Specter, Spectrum, whatever the #### it calls itself post TWC merger) are not going to be at all pleased in the ST, but that alone shouldn't effect profitability.

No idea if local shares are down. Wasn't there some talk last time that ESPN proposed to air the games at no cost and cut the NHL in for a piece of the advertising money? Or was that the deal that the NHL actually made with NBC? Maybe it was that ESPN wanted the NHL to pay ESPN to air games?

And unfortunately the C$ effected losses will be offset (for the 30 owners at least) by the expansion fee or 2 that they'll be splitting 30 ways & not after 1st splitting 50-50 w/ the NHLPA. So, again, little pressure / leverage to "fix" the game. (As in correcting it, not the Vegas style meaning. :P)

Hmm. I see. Well - this is how bubbles are created.

Do you mean to broadcast TV?

Okay - so I didn't mis-read.

No idea if local shares are down. Wasn't there some talk last time that ESPN proposed to air the games at no cost and cut the NHL in for a piece of the advertising money? Or was that the deal that the NHL actually made with NBC? Maybe it was that ESPN wanted the NHL to pay ESPN to air games?

ESPN wanted to reduce what they were paying by ~40%. (Ottomh can't recall if it was from $120MM -> $70MM or if it was from $70MM -> lower). Comcast/ NBC & the NHL worked out the fee/revenue splitting deal.

At some point you need to put aside the factors like TV contracts, channel availability, fluctuating Canadian dollar, broadcast quality.................. and accept the fact that the on-ice product is the main reason for all of this. I know some still think the game is exciting, but the vast majority of people I know thinks the product sucks. Unless there are some big changes in the works to change the game, TV contracts and salary caps will be the least of our concerns. 

At some point you need to put aside the factors like TV contracts, channel availability, fluctuating Canadian dollar, broadcast quality.................. and accept the fact that the on-ice product is the main reason for all of this. I know some still think the game is exciting, but the vast majority of people I know thinks the product sucks. Unless there are some big changes in the works to change the game, TV contracts and salary caps will be the least of our concerns.

I agree.

Whatever the term is for common channels that anybody with television can view.

Broadcast.  That's the over-the-air stuff.  Get an antenna*, get a TV, you're there.  Like the NBA finals, on ABC.

*To anyone under 30:  This is a device used to receive over-the-air signals.  We used to have them on cars and in dorm rooms and on houses and stuff.  Ants also have them, but I think they use them to receive signals from their leader.  Like Trump voters, maybe.

Edited by Eleven

Broadcast.  That's the over-the-air stuff.  Get an antenna*, get a TV, you're there.  Like the NBA finals, on ABC.

*To anyone under 30:  This is a device used to receive over-the-air signals.  We used to have them on cars and in dorm rooms and on houses and stuff.  Ants also have them, but I think they use them to receive signals from their leader.  Like Trump voters, maybe.

[pedant]

still on cars

[/pedant]

I'm pretty sure cable is actually the term I'm looking for and the commonly-used term for the context I was looking for. It's certainly not broadcast.

Edit: yea, it's cable. http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/stanley-cup-final-2016-tv-schedule-in-limbo-for-games-3-and-4-1.11848194

"the network can protect against the risk of having the Cup awarded on a cable channel"

It's the term used for the channels everybody gets through basic cable which is basically NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, ESPN and public access.

Edited by Hoss

:lol: