Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I'm pretty sure cable is actually the term I'm looking for and the commonly-used term for the context I was looking for. It's certainly not broadcast.

Edit: yea, it's cable. http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/stanley-cup-final-2016-tv-schedule-in-limbo-for-games-3-and-4-1.11848194

"the network can protect against the risk of having the Cup awarded on a cable channel"

It's the term used for the channels everybody gets through basic cable which is basically NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, ESPN and public access.

No. NBCSN = cable channel. NBC = broadcast channel. That basic cable users also get NBC does not make it a cable channel.

Is this going to become like the thread (not here) where the lifting bros had a debate about how many days are in a week?

Hoss. NBCSN is a cable channel because I can't watch it at home without a cable (or like) subscription. NBC is a broadcast channel because I can (and sometimes do) watch it via a digital antenna and without purchasing a cable subscription.

If I had time, I'd look up the FCC definitions.

For those who don't know: The HD signal you can get from digital broadcast signals is superior to the HD signal that comes through a cable. I have a friend who has both cable and an expensive digital antenna for his living room TV. For Bills games, he uses the antenna signal and the picture on his big fancy tee-vee is spectacular.

+++

Edit: It's possible the source you cited is working under the same mis-apprehension. It's also possible that, insofar as ESPN goes, the distinction being made is between basic cable and extended cable (?). But as for the networks (NBC ABC CBS FOX), they broadcast their digital signals over the airwaves and are therefore accessible without cable -- they are broadcast television.

Edited by That Aud Smell

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-7-kerry-fraser-nhl-referee-stories/

Pretty incredible read from Kerry Fraser. The Nash/Fleury story especially, wow.

What Kerry isn't telling us is that he did make that call without seeing what happened 1000s of times in his career, only it was on players who weren't Gretzky or some other star. For a ref, he was a biased narcissist who liked the spotlight a little too much for my taste.

A team spokesman told the Denver Post on Tuesday that Sherman has moved on after serving as Colorado’s senior vice president of business and team operations. In that role, he was in charge of finding a partner to help build a new practice facility for the team and also helped owner Josh Kroenke at the NHL Owner Meetings.

Sherman had been a special assistant to then-general manager Francois Giguere for seven years before taking over the GM role on June 3, 2009. He held the position until September 19, 2014, when he officially was replaced by Joe Sakic.

After Sakic took over as GM, Sherman remained on the staff as assistant general manager and also served as Colorado’s head of scouting.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/greg-sherman-avalanche-part-ways/

Gotta wonder if there was some straw that broke the camel's back here. Did hearing of Sakic's plans for Duchene and Barrie finally send Sherman over the edge?

Edited by WildCard

Hockey's Future, the website not HFBoards, will be shutting down on July 1st. As has been discussed it's a useful site for a go-to on comprehensive lists but beyond that a lot of the info was wrong or useless. Will be sad to see it go, though.

Luckily we have sabresprospects.com but most other teams don't have that style of site.

Hockey's Future, the website not HFBoards, will be shutting down on July 1st. As has been discussed it's a useful site for a go-to on comprehensive lists but beyond that a lot of the info was wrong or useless. Will be sad to see it go, though.

Luckily we have sabresprospects.com but most other teams don't have that style of site.

why?

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/2016-6-7-kerry-fraser-nhl-referee-stories/

Pretty incredible read from Kerry Fraser. The Nash/Fleury story especially, wow.

Except at first he didn't make it clear that the challenge to fight came on the ice and not in the parking lot. Just thought it was a sloppy way to start the piece. You want precision from your refs, even the retired ones.

I might be watching my last game

It'll make my current situation of listening to games via streaming radio a lot more palatable.

Broadcast.  That's the over-the-air stuff.  Get an antenna*, get a TV, you're there.  Like the NBA finals, on ABC.

*To anyone under 30:  This is a device used to receive over-the-air signals.  We used to have them on cars and in dorm rooms and on houses and stuff.  Ants also have them, but I think they use them to receive signals from their leader.  Like Trump voters, maybe.

Unless you're in Philly. ABC in Philly uses an ill-advised Low-VHF frequency in the digital switch so it's it's common to not be able to pick up ABC within the city limits, never mind the suburbs where I live. Apparently it gets better if you have a 30' outdoor antenna. :)

Yeah, Hockey's Future is absolutely abysmal outside of seeing the prospects in the pipe line

Edited by WildCard

The league is suing to void the arbitrator's decision in the Dennis WIdeman case.  link.

I'm struggling with this one.  On the one hand, no party involved in this situation came out of this looking good to begin with.  On the other hand, the NHL, in suing to void the decision of its own hand-picked "neutral" arbitrator, seems bound and determined to wear the largest black hat it can find.  I can not for the life of me, other than to make an attempt to take the NHLPA down another peg, even see the point of this. 

I'm no expert in employment law or third-party arbitration, but I can't imagine this is going to fly. 

The league is suing to void the arbitrator's decision in the Dennis WIdeman case.  link.

I'm struggling with this one.  On the one hand, no party involved in this situation came out of this looking good to begin with.  On the other hand, the NHL, in suing to void the decision of its own hand-picked "neutral" arbitrator, seems bound and determined to wear the largest black hat it can find.  I can not for the life of me, other than to make an attempt to take the NHLPA down another peg, even see the point of this. 

I'm no expert in employment law or third-party arbitration, but I can't imagine this is going to fly. 

There are few grounds for overturning an arbitrator's decision.  An arbitrator exceeding his/her authority is one of them.  That's the NHL's claim.

I'm sure the NHL is being pressured by the referees' union to do this, but still, it's just all so stupid.

There are few grounds for overturning an arbitrator's decision.  An arbitrator exceeding his/her authority is one of them.  That's the NHL's claim.

I'm sure the NHL is being pressured by the referees' union to do this, but still, it's just all so stupid.

Yep.

Panthers salary dumped Savard. Must be getting ready to spend some $$$. They're about to sign Trochek long term, but I don't think that's it.

Shortly after this was reported George Richards said the Panthers are "feeling confident" about retaining Brian Campbell which is a change from typical thoughts recently so it may be largely related to that.