Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Fantastic. And the teenager who caddied goes to school with a girl whose dad worked for...

That's not even the issue. Not only is Ted accused of not coaching a system, now it's morphed to Ted doesn't even know what the systems are. It's ignorant.

To the first: No. I'm saying a guy I've known for nearly 20 years has a close friend (a guy who stood up in his wedding, in fact) who has first-hand knowledge about Nolan not knowing and/or not caring about on-ice systems. The fact that you feel the need to belittle the story's foundation is a bit disappointing.

To the second: I haven't accused Ted of being ignorant that systems exist, or knowing the basic concepts of a few. I'm saying, and I think others are saying, that Ted was actively and willfully ignorant of the details of those systems, how they're taught and coached, because his beliefs about hockey don't encompass such things and are embodied in the quote above.

Zablablablah

Does he write for Bob Loblaw's Law Blog?

I was just going to post something like this. I know it's become the narrative (which I have taken part in myself, although like you said the"dump and chase" may have been warranted), but haven't we been doing it a lot less lately?

There were plenty of replays where it looked like Zablablablah ran into and interfered with Lehner. In fact, I only saw one that showed McCabe bumped him, and only slightly at that. Say there wasn't that one angle, or you get a different hard nosed ref who thinks he didn't really try to not hit the goalie enough. That's when it gets overturned and it didn't even have to get that chilly in hell for that to happen.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on earth who thinks this but to me it was Karlsson who interfered.

I have watched pretty much every game this season, and have attended 12. Almost every team defensively have stood up on the Blue line forcing a dump. The times they haven't we have tried to take advantage and carry the puck in the zone. Unless we would like more odd man breaks the other way, why wouldn't we dump and chase?

I would argue if you have to dump it in whenever a Dman pressures, then you don't have the skill to win a Cup. The top teams and players have enough talent to carry in even when pressured. Do you see the Seguins and Kanes of the world conceding the puck as soon as a Dman pressures? Nope.

We have some players who can do it too: ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, intermittently Ennis. We need more of that to start winning games regularly.

I would argue if you have to dump it in whenever a Dman pressures, then you don't have the skill to win a Cup. The top teams and players have enough talent to carry in even when pressured. Do you see the Seguins and Kanes of the world conceding the puck as soon as a Dman pressures? Nope.

We have some players who can do it too: ROR, Eichel, Reinhart, intermittently Ennis. We need more of that to start winning games regularly.

In his 1st brief stint w/ Eichel, Girgensons also was doing a good job of carrying the puck into the zone.

Imagine his reaction to Terry, upon buying the team, if he said in the news conference, "I loved the Sabres back in the 70's... The French Connection, or whatever they were called, were my heroes..."?

Imagine my reaction if superfan Terry had said he didn't know the Sabres were for sale in 2002 (and presumably that the owner had been arrested in a spectacular scandal, the team was bankrupt and being run by the NHL, and there was a possibility they would be relocated) and had said The Buffalo News was the reason the Sabres, a team that had gone 11-4-2 in recent weeks, had "quit." blnt

Does he write for Bob Loblaw's Law Blog?

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on earth who thinks this but to me it was Karlsson who interfered.

I admit to not even looking at names, but whomever it was that McCabe assed into Lehner. That's what I thought could have been called interference.

Fantastic. And the teenager who caddied goes to school with a girl whose dad worked for...

That's not even the issue. Not only is Ted accused of not coaching a system, now it's morphed to Ted doesn't even know what the systems are. It's ignorant.

Ya know, Hooper used to just build a ramp and jump over a building with a Trans Am, and then Ski showed up with his "pocket calculator". It doesn't mean that Hooper didn't understand physics.

Not sure which narrative is more annoying right now, this Bylsma one or Nolan's.

I admit to not even looking at names, but whomever it was that McCabe assed into Lehner. That's what I thought could have been called interference.

Ya know, Hooper used to just build a ramp and jump over a building with a Trans Am, and then Ski showed up with his "pocket calculator". It doesn't mean that Hooper didn't understand physics.

Not sure which narrative is more annoying right now, this Bylsma one or Nolan's.

:worthy:

If Nolan's philosophy (system?) was that no system mattered unless the effort is there, then that system is indeed very solid. It's bad enough to say he coached no system, or hired no coaches with technical knowledge, but to say he's ignorant of such things is just too much. No system? The Sabres had no breakout plays? They just threw the puck through center? (oops) They had no forechecking schemes? On the power play, they didn't utilize an umbrella or try to outnumber the opponent down low with two D up top? No diamond or box on the penalty kill?

It's laughable.

:worthy:

If Nolan's philosophy (system?) was that no system mattered unless the effort is there, then that system is indeed very solid. It's bad enough to say he coached no system, or hired no coaches with technical knowledge, but to say he's ignorant of such things is just too much. No system? The Sabres had no breakout plays? They just threw the puck through center? (oops) They had no forechecking schemes? On the power play, they didn't utilize an umbrella or try to outnumber the opponent down low with two D up top? No diamond or box on the penalty kill?

It's laughable.

No, this is laughable. Short of IKP hot-pocket rant, this might be the funniest thing I've seen on here. Really PA, you talk like you didn't watch every game for when he was coaching here. His hallmark as a coach was effort FFS, that's it.

Seriously, how is this a discussion? Ted Nolan is a terrible head coach. 

No, this is laughable. Short of IKP hot-pocket rant, this might be the funniest thing I've seen on here. Really PA, you talk like you didn't watch every game for when he was coaching here. His ###### hallmark as a coach was effort FFS, that's it.

Seriously, how is this a discussion? Ted Nolan is a terrible head coach. 

I didn't watch half of that dreck, and I'm getting there this year. Who needs that kind of punishment? But you can't have it both ways. If there was no system, then there was no power play system, no penalty killing system, no system for zone breakouts, etc. Is that what you're saying? They just... skated around? What did they work on in practice, working hard?

I didn't watch half of that dreck, and I'm getting there this year. Who needs that kind of punishment? But you can't have it both ways. If there was no system, then there was no power play system, no penalty killing system, no system for zone breakouts, etc. Is that what you're saying? They just... skated around? What did they work on in practice, working hard?

No, you're making a hyperbole of Nolan's lack of skill, and you know it. I can very easily say Ted Nolan lacked any educated and intelligent NHL system other than basic special teams, passing, and cycling. 

Why were players benched or given more ice time for Nolan? For lack or increase of production? No, they were only evaluated solely on effort. 

I can't find the quote but I distinctly remember one of our players, maybe Weber, saying how awesome it was to be playing in an actual system under DD. Is DD the greatest coach? No, I wanted Babcock, and argued vehemently that he was easily a better coach. But let's not seriously pretend Ted Nolan is even remotely close to Dan's coaching level, or would have this team anywhere near better or equal to what they are now

Edited by WildCard

No, you're making a hyperbole of Nolan's lack of skill, and you know it. I can very easily say Ted Nolan lacked any educated and intelligent NHL system other than basic special teams, passing, and cycling. 

Why were players benched or given more ice time for Nolan? For lack or increase of production? No, they were only evaluated solely on effort. 

I can't find the quote but I distinctly remember one of our players, maybe Weber, saying how awesome it was to be playing in an actual system under DD. Is DD the greatest coach? No, I wanted Babcock, and argued vehemently that he was easily a better coach. But let's not seriously pretend Ted Nolan is even remotely close to Dan's coaching level, or would have this team anywhere near better or equal to what they are now

Dude, it's hockey. How complex do you think these systems are?

Jesus. People are making Nolan out to Rudy.

The only specific breakout play I can remember Nolan having was that trick play he used a few times where a player would enter into the near bench door on a change, and the player coming on the ice would exit the bench out of the far door, further up the ice, ready to receive the breakaway pass catching the opposing team off guard.

It worked for Latvia against Canada at the Olympics. It didn't work for the Sabres.

I would imagine it was a lot like that. The basic breakouts are all the same but you have to put everything together.  It was abundantly clear he could not get all the players on the same page because there were no pages.  Anyone can look at a bunch of formational charts and say.. "Play the umbrella", "large box", etc.  But it takes someone with skill to be able to blend the system to adjust to the talent you have on the ice and the individual abilities.  He didn't have that.

Dude, it's hockey. How complex do you think these systems are?

Jesus. People are making Nolan out to Rudy.

Rudy?  Rudy actually knew football.  Rudy's problem was his size, not his intellect.  Nolan simply does not have the capability to be an NHL coach. 

There were plenty of replays where it looked like Zablablablah ran into and interfered with Lehner. In fact, I only saw one that showed McCabe bumped him, and only slightly at that. Say there wasn't that one angle, or you get a different hard nosed ref who thinks he didn't really try to not hit the goalie enough. That's when it gets overturned and it didn't even have to get that chilly in hell for that to happen.

I don't think anyone was really saying the bump was the interference, it was the stick that lifted up and pushed back Lehner's right pad. I thought the challenge had a shot from that standpoint. The puck went in on that side of Lehner, but I can't remember if it was elevated or not. it's pretty reasonable to say that a stick under a pad would inhibit movement on that side.

Rudy? Rudy actually knew football. Rudy's problem was his size, not his intellect. Nolan simply does not have the capability to be an NHL coach.

Even Mike Harrington and Bucky Gleason, who where Nolan Supporters mentioned after watching Bylsma's First Few Practices in TC that is obvious Nolan was not cut out for the modern day NHL.

Is this the thread where Lindy was discussed? I think so. Anywho... maybe just maybe I'm not the only one who thinks the change of scenery was the best thing for Lindy, and the Lindy we had here was never going to be the Lindy they have in Dallas. #mrcontrary

"I am a different coach than I was at the end in Buffalo," Ruff said. "I think there was some frustration in my coaching, and I tried to move forward with the mind-set that what's ahead of you is more important than what's behind you."

"We've been in some of the most intense games ever in international competition, and you come in the next day after some of those losses and you are emotionally drained," Hitchcock said. "But Lindy was always up, always looking forward, always ready to fix the problem. I think that's who he is in Dallas. I think when you go through getting fired and starting new someplace else, you probably return to your natural personality. I think his natural personality is a very hopeful person."

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2016/01/30/grizzled-veteran-lindy-ruff-connects-stars-youth-hip-found-coaching-stride-fired-buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.