Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Not really.  He wouldn't be forcing them to play dump and chase, which costs this team possession and scoring opportunities, for one thing.

After 50 games last year, this team had 31 points.  Of course, that also followed a record-setting losing streak.

Now the Sabres have 44 in 50.

Yes, I think the roster improvements alone can account for 13 of those points.

How many points would we not have because we wouldn't have an effective powerplay?

Not really. He wouldn't be forcing them to play dump and chase, which costs this team possession and scoring opportunities, for one thing.

After 50 games last year, this team had 31 points. Of course, that also followed a record-setting losing streak.

How about the improvement of every other stat?

Or the fact that you can bet your ass Eichel would be getting <10 minutes a night

Not really.  He wouldn't be forcing them to play dump and chase, which costs this team possession and scoring opportunities, for one thing.

After 50 games last year, this team had 31 points.  Of course, that also followed a record-setting losing streak.

Ted probably doesn't know that dump and chase is a system of play. He also probably doesn't know what systems of play are.

In point of fact, I don't think Nolan would be having them play any system at all. Wwwwwhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Didn't Nolan's 'system' predicate on the dump and chase?

Sorta?

In addition to which: While I am not sure Hot Daniel is the long-term answer, I also credit the idea that he's in a process of installing a system that the team as a whole is in the process of digesting and implementing. So, comparing this point in the current season to the same point in the last season seems short-sighted.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Not really. He wouldn't be forcing them to play dump and chase, which costs this team possession and scoring opportunities, for one thing.

After 50 games last year, this team had 31 points. Of course, that also followed a record-setting losing streak.

Sorry 11, but you're off the reservation with this one. "Get pucks deep and battle" was kind of Nolan's entire thing. He was the head coach of the worst puck possession team of all time (since we could measure it, anyway). I dislike Bylsma, but this is a "Ruff hates toughness" criticism equivalent.

Sorry 11, but you're off the reservation with this one. "Get pucks deep and battle" was kind of Nolan's entire thing. He was the head coach of the worst puck possession team of all time (since we could measure it, anyway). I dislike Bylsma, but this is a "Ruff hates toughness" criticism equivalent.

I really think the man has no clue of what a system is or should be and would let Kane and Eichel carry the puck across the line as often as they'd like.

In point of fact, I don't think Nolan would be having them play any system at all. Wwwwwhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Sorta?

In addition to which: While I am not sure Hot Daniel is the long-term answer, I also credit the idea that he's in a process of installing a system that the team as a whole is in the process of digesting and implementing. So, comparing this point in the current season to the same point in the last season seems short-sighted.

It's been 50 games.

How many points would we not have because we wouldn't have an effective powerplay?

I will give Bylsma credit for improving the powerplay.

Of course, he has O'Reilly at the point now, but yes, he has improved it.

Like Eichel's 1st goal yesterday?

Yep. Very much like that.  That should be the rule and not the exception.  Of course, the D man had no choice, because to dump would have created either icing or offsides, but that is the type of play I'd like to see more often.

Let me make sure I understand the complaint..... You have a coach, playing on the road, against a team fighting for a playoff spot, with 5 first year players on his squad, 2 top 6 forwards out, a D man that was on the first line out, we win 3-2 and we're complaining that he's not too bright, doesn't know what he's doing and his tactics stink??? Am I missing something in this argument???

Buffalo fans are never happy....even when our teams win.....we always need something to bitch about if our teams do not play a perfect game.....

Nobody's trying to find something to bitch about, nobody is bitching about a win.

The fact is Goober goes into a defensive shell when he takes the lead in the 3rd, or enters the 3rd with the lead. And it has failed several times, the Sabres have blown several leads this year. The team is 28th in the league in scoring, but they're even worse, at this point, in protecting a lead. They're better off trying to add to the lead especially when the opposition opens up their game.

When your team has blown several leads throughout the year, and is outshot 22-0 when you go into a defensive shell, it's a legitimate observation to say that it might not be a functional strategy until the team improves.

Ted probably doesn't know that dump and chase is a system of play. He also probably doesn't know what systems of play are.

This is an embarrassing opinion. Coached two teams to the playoffs, one to a division title, coached and coached well in the Olympics and at other high levels of play. He's not a dum dum.

Well, this article couldn't possibly be more relevant

When Mike Yeo was hired to coach the Wild in 2011, he had good reasons for sticking with such a strategy. His previous NHL job had been as an assistant coach on a Pittsburgh Penguinsteam that had won the Stanley Cup in 2009 preaching the importance of, in his words, “getting pucks deep.” And in Minnesota, Yeo had inherited a roster of rambunctious players who were just fine with a game plan that dictated footraces to the endboards.

Tulsky found that players who carry the puck across the blue line produce twice as much offenseas those who dump and chase. His research elevates carrying the puck successfully through the neutral zone from something the best players and teams do to an object of the game.

Fenwick Close -- by consensus the best measure of possession -- is expressed as the percentage of total shots that a team takes during tightly contested play. According to habseyesontheprize.com, teams thateclipse the 50% mark make the playoffs 75% of the time

Ironically, though Nill subsequently purged all things analytic in favor of the Red Wings model, similar statistics stillcaught hold. Puck possession, statistically measured or not, has always been a hallmark of the Detroit game, so it was no accident that Nill hired Lindy Ruff, a coach who has an affinity for possession hockey. Indeed, the formerSabrescoach was already tracking his own zone entry stat, one based on the number of failed entries a team makes.

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2014/01/15/fancystats-quietly-leading-nhl-teams-to-dump-the-dump-and-chase-strategy

This is an embarrassing opinion. Coached two teams to the playoffs, one to a division title, coached and coached well in the Olympics and at other high levels of play. He's not a dum dum.

He's a good motivator...that's about it

Edited by WildCard

People are saying it was a good challenge, but no one is saying the ref made the wrong call. On what other day would the challenge be successful? Hellfreezesoverday? Is that what the challenge is? Rolling the dice that this is the time the refs lose their minds? Situation matters too. Seven minutes into the game? With only a small chance of success?

I have watched pretty much every game this season, and have attended 12.  Almost every team defensively have stood up on the Blue line forcing a dump. The times they haven't we have tried to take advantage and carry the puck in the zone. Unless we would like more odd man breaks the other way, why wouldn't we dump and chase? 

And as far as challenges go why not? I among many hate the rule. But why not challenge a call?

Edited by DirtDart

I have watched pretty much every game this season, and have attended 12.  Almost every team defensively have stood up on the Blue line forcing a dump. The times they haven't we have tried to take advantage and carry the puck in the zone. Unless we would like more odd man breaks the other way, why wouldn't we dump and chase? 

Great point. It's not an either/or scenario.

I was just going to post something like this. I know it's become the narrative (which I have taken part in myself, although like you said the"dump and chase" may have been warranted), but haven't we been doing it a lot less lately?

People are saying it was a good challenge, but no one is saying the ref made the wrong call. On what other day would the challenge be successful? Hellfreezesoverday? Is that what the challenge is? Rolling the dice that this is the time the refs lose their minds? Situation matters too. Seven minutes into the game? With only a small chance of success?

There were plenty of replays where it looked like Zablablablah ran into and interfered with Lehner. In fact, I only saw one that showed McCabe bumped him, and only slightly at that. Say there wasn't that one angle, or you get a different hard nosed ref who thinks he didn't really try to not hit the goalie enough. That's when it gets overturned and it didn't even have to get that chilly in hell for that to happen.

:rolleyes:  The only thing embarassing is your insistence on being Mr. Contrary to everything.

“The only thing we have control over is put them on the ice,” said Nolan, who helps conduct instruction-filled practices. “We can’t skate for them. We can’t shoot for them. We can’t battle for them. We can’t compete for them. They have to compete and they have to work. If they don’t want to, there’s not much you can do.

“I don’t care what kind of system you have. Man-on-man, zone defense, whatever they call it, left-wing lock or systems or whatever it is, it comes down to will and the battle. Do you want the puck more than the opposition?”

You do such an awesome job or word-parsing/smithing every word from the front office, why don't you take a whack at that one?

As the kids say... gg

:rolleyes:  The only thing embarassing is your insistence on being Mr. Contrary to everything.

Your Connolly avatar gag is embarrassing.

After reading that article, it's really hard not to miss Lindy. Sounds like a analytical coaching dream. Though it's also hard imagining him actually keeping his job through 2 years of a tank

Yep, he sure sounds like it.

You do such an awesome job or word-parsing/smithing every word from the front office, why don't you take a whack at that one?

As the kids say... gg

So you cite a quote where Ted talks about some systems as evidence he doesn't know any of the systems?

So you cite a quote where Ted talks about some systems as evidence he doesn't know any of the systems?

During both of his tenures,Ted did not employ anything resembling a system. Not by modern standards anyway.  IMO, there's no need to debate that point. #whatevertheycallit

I have a few stories I tell and re-tell around here, and one of them is based on knowing someone who golfs with a person who was in a room when Nolan scoffed, guru-spoke, and deflected his way through questions about his preference on systems. Second-hand, yes. But that story squares with how his teams played.

During both of his tenures,Ted did not employ anything resembling a system. Not by modern standards anyway.  IMO, there's no need to debate that point. #whatevertheycallit

I have a few stories I tell and re-tell around here, and one of them is based on knowing someone who golfs with a person who was in a room when Nolan scoffed, guru-spoke, and deflected his way through questions about his preference on systems. Second-hand, yes. But that story squares with how his teams played.

Fantastic. And the teenager who caddied goes to school with a girl whose dad worked for...

That's not even the issue. Not only is Ted accused of not coaching a system, now it's morphed to Ted doesn't even know what the systems are. It's ignorant.

Fantastic. And the teenager who caddied goes to school with a girl whose dad worked for...

That's not even the issue. Not only is Ted accused of not coaching a system, now it's morphed to Ted doesn't even know what the systems are. It's ignorant.

Your only backup for this seems to be a miracle run in the Olympics and a miracle run with Hasek

Your only backup for this seems to be a miracle run in the Olympics and a miracle run with Hasek

Imagine his reaction to Terry, upon buying the team, if he said in the news conference, "I loved the Sabres back in the 70's... The French Connection, or whatever they were called, were my heroes..."?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.