Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

• 2 weeks later...

Roby absolutely trashing Bylsma on WGR this morning. Can't believe he wouldn't put Eichel out for the opening faceoff. Thinks he's sheltering him way too much. Wants Dan to turn things over to the kids. 

I can't say I disagree. But it's nice to hear someone else say it. 

Roby absolutely trashing Bylsma on WGR this morning. Can't believe he wouldn't put Eichel out for the opening faceoff. Thinks he's sheltering him way too much. Wants Dan to turn things over to the kids.

Bylsma coaches not to lose, he doesn't coach to win.

I can sense that this opening face-off thing is going to get a head of steam.

It's not that big a deal to me, tbh. And I doubt that Eichel thinks it's a big deal. (At least, I hope he doesn't.) I think the media wants it to be a big deal.

White on WGR said that Eichel seemed to be working to control his rage in his post-game interview; from that, White intimated that the opening face-off decision was a part of the anger. To me, that's a media-generated kerfluffle. If Eichel was mad, it was because he didn't capitalize on the chances he had (and those chances he made) and essentially created McDavid's chance on the OT winner.

And with that said: I'm more and more *meh* on Bylsma.

Amen to that. 

All the criticisms of him that my friends from Pittsburgh had seem to be true. He has no concept of "big games" and he consistently fails to utilize his best players. 

I can sense that this opening face-off thing is going to get a head of steam.

It's not that big a deal to me, tbh. And I doubt that Eichel thinks it's a big deal. (At least, I hope he doesn't.) I think the media wants it to be a big deal.

White on WGR said that Eichel seemed to be working to control his rage in his post-game interview; from that, White intimated that the opening face-off decision was a part of the anger. To me, that's a media-generated kerfluffle. If Eichel was mad, it was because he didn't capitalize on the chances he had (and those chances he made) and essentially created McDavid's chance on the OT winner.

And with that said: I'm more and more *meh* on Bylsma.

Yeah, I think White's commentary misses the mark. But I think Roby has a good feel for situations. Something about last night seems to really have rubbed him the wrong way about Bylsma. Perhaps it was the straw that broke Roby's back? 

Amen to that.

All the criticisms of him that my friends from Pittsburgh had seem to be true. He has no concept of "big games" and he consistently fails to utilize his best players.

He tries to out coach the other team always instead of putting his best out and saying here beat them.

Oh and I'm over Kane. Drive left take a shot from the wall, rinse repeat. Seeing him out over Reinhart or jack is dumb. Let these kids go Bylsma you're not helping them anymore.

Edited by LGR4GM

I'll also add: Watched Eichel's post-game interview. And holy ######. Yeah. Dude was angry.

I think the kid really wanted to win last night. This season has to be frustrating for him. You've got Bylsma coaching him to enter the zone along the boards which takes away the open space he desperately needs, and then he's not getting the right feeds from the power play units, he's not getting paired with the right players, and boom...you get last night. A season's worth of pent up frustration looking for a way out. 

He tries to out coach the other team always instead of putting his best out and saying here beat them.

Oh and I'm over Kane. Drive left take a shot from the wall, rinse repeat.

This would be fine if Kane would just put the puck into the goalie's pads to generate rebounds. How hard is that to coach? Roby was railing on that too. He hates how this team possesses the puck, ie. not at all. 

Edited by d4rksabre

I wanted Eichel out to start the game. I was mad he wasn't. I don't think it matters.

I can come up with a half dozen other criticisms that are actually important. For instance, did anyone else catch how often the Cal O'Reilly line was out against McDavid? We're at home, and Bylsma is gifting the other team the perfect matchup. Was he confused about which O'Reilly was on the bench? I honestly can't fathom how this happened.

You've got Bylsma coaching him to enter the zone along the boards which takes away the open space he desperately needs

Good eye. This is Bylsma's way, though, yes? I heard it said from someone on the broadcast team that, more than anything, Hot Daniel wants to make the opposing d-men turn. Because that's the hardest and least pleasant thing a d-man must do on the ice. Turn to face his own net. 

I dunno, man.

I can come up with a half dozen other criticisms that are actually important. 

Yep.

Good eye. This is Bylsma's way, though, yes? I heard it said from someone on the broadcast team that, more than anything, Hot Daniel wants to make the opposing d-men turn. Because that's the hardest and least pleasant thing a d-man must do on the ice. Turn to face his own net. 

I dunno, man.

Yep.

Number one rule for defensemen: keep players to the outside. So if you're trying to enter the offensive zone along the boards, you've done the defense's job for them. 

Notice that whenever Eichel enters the zone along the boards, there's never a Buffalo player drawing coverage down the slot. That's because Eichel should be the one drawing coverage. 

Eichel should be playing in the middle of the ice, in space. Space is how Jack can turn defenders around. If Jack is carrying the puck through the middle it draws defenders away from the boards. If a winger is carrying the puck along the boards, Jack coming down the middle is going to draw the defenders away from that winger. Jack's PURE TALENT is a tool, and Bylsma is wasting it. 

Bylsma's refusal to accept basic hockey strategy is maddening. Let your talented players use their talent. 

I wanted Eichel out to start the game. I was mad he wasn't. I don't think it matters.

I can come up with a half dozen other criticisms that are actually important. For instance, did anyone else catch how often the Cal O'Reilly line was out against McDavid? We're at home, and Bylsma is gifting the other team the perfect matchup. Was he confused about which O'Reilly was on the bench? I honestly can't fathom how this happened.

I think the faceoff thing is just a microcosm of the bigger issue. 

Edited by d4rksabre

Number one rule for defensemen: keep players to the outside. So if you're trying to enter the offensive zone along the boards, you've done the defense's job for them. 

Notice that whenever Eichel enters the zone along the boards, there's never a Buffalo player drawing coverage down the slot. That's because Eichel should be the one drawing coverage. 

Eichel should be playing in the middle of the ice, in space. Space is how Jack can turn defenders around. If Jack is carrying the puck through the middle it draws defenders away from the boards. If a winger is carrying the puck along the boards, Jack coming down the middle is going to draw the defenders away from that winger. Jack's PURE TALENT is a tool, and Bylsma is wasting it. 

Bylsma's refusal to accept basic hockey strategy is maddening. Let your talented players use their talent. 

I think the faceoff thing is just a microcosm of the bigger issue. 

Interesting. Is he protecting Eichel from the various bad and painful things that can happen in the middle of the ice?

Waiting to see when Bylsma is canned is now Sabre Story #1 for me.

He doesn't deserve to make it to draft day.

We are going to find out if Tim Murray is a real genius, or faking it.  I think there is a chance he hired Bylsma to appease the masses and create an illusion that the tank is over, while getting one more season of tanking in to add another top piece.

A pretty bad Oiler team last night with a number of call ups and missing a number of starters including Ryan Nugent "Thompsons" beat an even worse Sabre team.  Edmonton is giving up nearly 3 goals a game; we managed one.

Bylsma was actually actively getting the COR line matched up against McDavid; the guy can't get the regular lines back on the ice for 2 or 3 shifts after a penalty kill (that's a reoccurring theme with him) and he loves to throw together garbage and mix it up almost nightly.  Our passing in all 3 zones is garbage; our entries are confused; pure defensive zone coverage is spotty; BOGO is a disaster and Kane isn't far behind him but Disco loves to play him at wrong times with the wrong players.

His player usage, in-game bench generalship, and overall grasp of things are HORRID.

The idiot actually called a TO last night at the perfect moment to rest the Edmonton #1 PP unit at a critical time.

Will be interesting to see if and when GMTM shows Disco the door.

It's like getting into bed with a Victoria's secret model, you might need protection but you'll worry about that later.

I'm sick of watching Jack get squeezed out along the boards because he's slowing down to look for a Sabre in the middle of the ice who is never there. 

Ughhhhhhh

I'm sick of watching Jack get squeezed out along the boards because he's slowing down to look for a Sabre in the middle of the ice who is never there.

Ughhhhhhh

Everytime jack passes below the circles I know a coach told him to. He has the best shot on the team. #freejack

I've moved from "people calling for Hot Daniel's head are out of their own (heads)" to "the issue bears watching."

I went from watching to buh bye. ROR goes down but sam and Jack don't become the top 2 centers? Whiskey tango foxtrot

I disagree. I think that's on Eichel. I've twice heard Hot Daniel say that he needs Jack to be more selfish in those situations.

He coached it out of him to begin with. Bylsma is in Jack's head.

Also COR as your top center? What a joke of a coaching move.

The idiot actually called a TO last night at the perfect moment to rest the Edmonton #1 PP unit at a critical time.

Will be interesting to see if and when GMTM shows Disco the door.

OMG that timeout! Goooooood grief. It actually took my friend and I a bit to figure out why everyone was at the bench. We could not believe there was a timeout called by us. I sat there staring in disbelief.

I'm sure plenty of people are going to focus on losing the lottery after last night. Personally? I'm infinitely more upset about losing Babcock than not getting lottery luck.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.