Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Which has had zero impact in his game. He should be with Jack, Reino, or Kane. He needs other players to lug the mail while he gets in position around the net. Matt's game is never going to be about attacking on the rush.

Maybe this is a fair point or not, I don't know. Clearly, they weren't happy with his ability to perform, regardless. I agree getting to open spots in front is his game, but the Dzone and transition games are essential, too. Bylsma coaches fast exits and entries. Jack and Kane shouldn't have to wait for the lugger to get up ice and in position, either. 

GO SABRES!!!

Haha, no doubt. But out of shape to skate well enough is out of shape to skate well enough, regardless. Even Jobba the Hutt knows that. 

GO SABRES!!!

The former Yankee?

The bullpen-to-starter transition ruined Joba, not him being fat.

Edited by WildCard

Which has had zero impact in his game. He should be with Jack, Reino, or Kane. He needs other players to lug the mail while he gets in position around the net. Matt's game is never going to be about attacking on the rush.

Playing his way into shape on the 4th line?

I dunno.  By the trade deadline you'd think someone is gonna be in all the shape they are gonna be in.

Raffe Torres, anyone?

Sounds to me like Moulson just ain't cut out for Bylsma's speed game.

Does anyone here think that the Sabres are that up tempo?  I never woulda guessed.

Edited by We've

In the context of the Moulson talks.... Here are some tweets that mentioned what he said in the WGR interview. (I wish I knew how to copy and paste the entire tweet)

MURRAY: "Moulson is taking this serious, he doesn't want to go away. I'll say slumping for sure. The long term goal is to have him better."

Murray has talked to Moulson, his agent and trainers. Moulson is 100% "in" now

Murray's candor on Moulson is refreshing. The game has changed. Training methods have changed. Sounds like Moulson has been told to change

In the context of the Moulson talks.... Here are some tweets that mentioned what he said in the WGR interview. (I wish I knew how to copy and paste the entire tweet)

MURRAY: "Moulson is taking this serious, he doesn't want to go away. I'll say slumping for sure. The long term goal is to have him better."

Murray has talked to Moulson, his agent and trainers. Moulson is 100% "in" now

Murray's candor on Moulson is refreshing. The game has changed. Training methods have changed. Sounds like Moulson has been told to change

Good stuff.  Moulson didn't come back to be a slacker and I think Murray wants him around.  He has faith in him.  This isn't Leino.  There were some changes and Moulson is attempting to adapt to those changes.  Perhaps it does not happen this season but it seems like they have a good understanding.

People can crap on Moulson all they want.  I won't do it.  He's not having a good year, that much is certain, but I think he's a highly respected player in the locker room and has a ton of leadership that this team needs.

Good stuff.  Moulson didn't come back to be a slacker and I think Murray wants him around.  He has faith in him.  This isn't Leino.  There were some changes and Moulson is attempting to adapt to those changes.  Perhaps it does not happen this season but it seems like they have a good understanding.

People can crap on Moulson all they want.  I won't do it.  He's not having a good year, that much is certain, but I think he's a highly respected player in the locker room and has a ton of leadership that this team needs.

Fine. We shall crap on Bylsma then. He ruined Moulson like Rex ruined Mario.

I consider myself somewhat biased towards Moulson, probably a combination of him seeming like a genuinely nice guy off the ice, and him choosing the come back to the Sabres in free agency.

He's not having a good year, that much is certain, but I think he's a highly respected player in the locker room and has a ton of leadership that this team needs.

I'm sure he's well liked. I'm not sure what respect is warranted, or leadership shown from not being in the sort of physical shape the coach requires.

And, yes, to the point above: Being not in shape here means falling short of some fairly insane level of conditioning. But that's what a veteran's savvy and a boat load of Pegula bucks were supposed to ensure.

I don't think a $5 million player who earned himself 4th line minutes by not being in good shape has much leadership stature on the team. He's probably plenty well liked on a personal level, but that's about it.

As to whether working out harder will matter, raise your hand if you remember Craig Rivet working diligently on "lateral quickness" towards the end, to no avail. If it's gone, it's gone.

I think there's a nuance here that's missing. Saying Moulson is "not in good shape" and thus deserves scorn from the fans and teammates might miss the mark.

From WGR:

I see a player that maybe has neglected some things in the last couple years as far as how workouts are changing, how we as an organization are changing with our young players....

....we've changed his daily routine, his workouts, his pregame, his postgame, his day off. He's bought into this like a young player...

http://www.wgr550.com/Murray-provides-insight-on-Moulson/22533166

"how workouts are changing" "How we as an organization are changing" "we've changed his daily routine" (in response to his conditioning)

It sounds like half the blame rests with the team for his getting to this point in the first place.

I think there's a nuance here that's missing. Saying Moulson is "not in good shape" and thus deserves scorn from the fans and teammates might miss the mark.

From WGR:

"how workouts are changing" "How we as an organization are changing" "we've changed his daily routine" (in response to his conditioning)

It sounds like half the blame rests with the team for his getting to this point in the first place.

Why is Moulson the only vet with this problem?

Harrington gets on board the Bylsma critique train:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/03/04/bylsmas-tactics-as-sabres-coach-deserve-scrutiny/

Elsewhere in the News, I read that Bylsma thinks Reinhart can be a great centre, but he prefers him at wing because he plays better there right now.

Maybe because he (accidentally, it seems) got enough ice time there to learn the role and excel?

Like he might at centre if given the same opportunity?

Why is Moulson the only vet with this problem?

We don't know that it seems that the Sabres are in *damage control* mode with Moulson, since there is a lot of fan backlash concerning his play ... we all know the Sabres at least read this message board.

The only other vet that is getting regular playing time is Gionta and, well, Gionta is Gionta.

Oh, yeah ... Gorges ... thanks, PA.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Harrington gets on board the Bylsma critique train:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/03/04/bylsmas-tactics-as-sabres-coach-deserve-scrutiny/

Elsewhere in the News, I read that Bylsma thinks Reinhart can be a great centre, but he prefers him at wing because he plays better there right now.

Maybe because he (accidentally, it seems) got enough ice time there to learn the role and excel?

Like he might at centre if given the same opportunity?

No reason not to give him the opportunity for the rest of the season.

From WGR:

That's helpful context, I suppose.

Has anyone ever considered that Matt Moulson might be the leader of the Orphans from The Warriors?

Great. Now I'll have THIS in my head all day.

Fine. We shall crap on Bylsma then. He ruined Moulson like Rex ruined Mario.

I'm sure he's well liked. I'm not sure what respect is warranted, or leadership shown from not being in the sort of physical shape the coach requires.

And, yes, to the point above: Being not in shape here means falling short of some fairly insane level of conditioning. But that's what a veteran's savvy and a boat load of Pegula bucks were supposed to ensure.

I don't think a $5 million player who earned himself 4th line minutes by not being in good shape has much leadership stature on the team. He's probably plenty well liked on a personal level, but that's about it.

As to whether working out harder will matter, raise your hand if you remember Craig Rivet working diligently on "lateral quickness" towards the end, to no avail. If it's gone, it's gone.

A change in system can make an employee look worse than they are.  Kane, ROR, Reinhart, Eichel, have only known the Bylsma system. The rest of the team has had to adjust to these changes in training. I don't think we can say Moulson's ability is gone yet.  I do recall that in the pre-season everyone was pretty high on him when he was playing with Eichel.  Things clearly changed... perhaps he did not progress as much as the others at the beginning.  

He's not playing great, no one is arguing that, but to throw him out the 10th floor window is a touch over the top at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.