Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

The more time goes on, the more I think he was downplaying the "simple" publicly available "advanced" stats (things like plain Corsi) much more so than any commentary on analytics.

Indeed. I would kill to be a fly on the wall for one of their analytical meetings. 

I'm now going to balance out my bitching with some things I like about Bylsma. 

-He seems like a really good guy.

-Remember when our players kept going offside, and we lost like ten goals because of it? When was the last time that happened? I wouldn't be surprised if they practiced zone entries on the rush for a while, because we haven't had to deal with that for months.

-Whatever he did/had his assistant coach do to the PK worked very well. They were bottom two for at least a month to start the season and somehow climbed to the top ten.

-Sure, he didn't have Gionta or Larsson in the right spot to start the year, but he found the right combo and has stuck with it for many games now, and with Foligno they make an excellent third line that does what he needs them to do very well.

-I've liked his defense pairs overall. We all flipped over the Bogo-Risto pairing but it worked while he did it, and when it stopped he went to something else. I expected much worse than what we got this year, as far as team defense goes. (Just checked, and we are in the middle-third of the league in "goals allowed". I think 18th, but the "new and improved" freaking NHL.com doesn't put numbers next to the teams in their standings anymore, so if you scroll to the middle of the ranking, the list goes above and below the screen and you have no idea what place any team on the screen is.)

Probably the biggest jump I've ever seen in a PK; going from inept to legit in about a month.

I'm now going to balance out my bitching with some things I like about Bylsma. 

-He seems like a really good guy.

-Remember when our players kept going offside, and we lost like ten goals because of it? When was the last time that happened? I wouldn't be surprised if they practiced zone entries on the rush for a while, because we haven't had to deal with that for months.

-Whatever he did/had his assistant coach do to the PK worked very well. They were bottom two for at least a month to start the season and somehow climbed to the top ten.

-Sure, he didn't have Gionta or Larsson in the right spot to start the year, but he found the right combo and has stuck with it for many games now, and with Foligno they make an excellent third line that does what he needs them to do very well.

-I've liked his defense pairs overall. We all flipped over the Bogo-Risto pairing but it worked while he did it, and when it stopped he went to something else. I expected much worse than what we got this year, as far as team defense goes. (Just checked, and we are in the middle-third of the league in "goals allowed". I think 18th, but the "new and improved" freaking NHL.com doesn't put numbers next to the teams in their standings anymore, so if you scroll to the middle of the ranking, the list goes above and below the screen and you have no idea what place any team on the screen is.)

- We very rarely go offsides. It's actually really impressive

- Top 10 (or 1 outside of it) in both special teams units. And that's with some really offensive defensemen and absolutely no 2nd pp unit. Very impressive

- It seems like it takes him a long, long time to figure out very basic line combinations. It's a huge concern I have with him. I'll be looking to see if he allows Larsson to continue to play the minutes and role he's dominated in, or he just reverts to crushing ROR and Jack under 22+ minutes a night

• 11 months later...

I have a really hard time believing Babdick is poor at developing players. In fact I don't believe it, it seems rather the opposite between him and Byslma. It's something I wanted him over Byslma for actually

Just finished that paper True have me on dumping vs carrying it in. I'm going to fundamentally hate DD if he insists on dumping the puck and 'forcing' the other team to carry r in against u

Any chance you can link the Byslma one? After reading about it, I'm literally yelling at my tv when we unnecessarily dump it in

GM gives him the same roster

2018, gone. 2017, pissed, but I'm not in favor of continual change

Honeslty I'm not patient for any of those reasons. I'm only patient because Jack and Sam are 19/20 in their rookie years, Pysyk and McCabe are basically rookies too, and GMTM didn't give him much to work with on the back end.

Remember when there was an argument of DD > Babcock? Good times

- We very rarely go offsides. It's actually really impressive

- Top 10 (or 1 outside of it) in both special teams units. And that's with some really ###### offensive defensemen and absolutely no 2nd pp unit. Very impressive

- It seems like it takes him a long, long time to figure out very basic line combinations. It's a huge concern I have with him. I'll be looking to see if he allows Larsson to continue to play the minutes and role he's dominated in, or he just reverts to crushing ROR and Jack under 22+ minutes a night

Pretty consistent 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.