Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

I don't think he lost 6 straight even after Larry and Darcy stripped the team.  

Maybe I'm wrong.

But this team certainly is better than the 2012 team, no?

Lindy wasn't the problem.

Disco Stu is the problem.

Lindy had Elite goaltending for almost all of his tenure. :ph34r:

( ;) )

I'm not ready to write DD off just yet.  The team is starting to function offensively, and when Pysser gets back it'll give us another puck moving, defensively responsible, butt-goal-scoring defenseman.  I'm actually starting to get excited about the team again.  Playoffs are probably out of the question, but if they can play above .500 for the rest of the year I'll be a happy camper.

And regardless of the lack of production from the vets, I think they are producing a lot in the locker room with the kids, instilling work ethic, building the team, showing the kids how the game is played right.

• 2 weeks later...

To what extent can we blame Bylsma for our abysmal 5v5 scoring? Is it unfair to give him any blame? Is it all lack of talent and injuries? Can someone find our 5v5 GPG compared to last year's?

Any stats compared to last year are pretty much useless honestly. It'd be better to view Byslma's history and trends with it and compare it to league averages

That's what I mean, it really isn't an accurate representation of anything about this team

If there is not a significant improvement in 5v5 scoring over last year, I'd say that says an awful lot about this team.  The roster is greatly improved and, supposedly, so is the coaching staff.  5v5 scoring should be improved accordingly.

If there is not a significant improvement in 5v5 scoring over last year, I'd say that says an awful lot about this team. The roster is greatly improved and, supposedly, so is the coaching staff. 5v5 scoring should be improved accordingly.

Definitely, if that's the case. I highly doubt it is, and really what I'm referring to is any improvement shouldn't be how we evaluate DD

2015-16:  74 even strength goals, 47 games, 1.57 per game

2014-15:  116 even strength goals, 82 games, 1.41 per game

Source is here:  http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-even-strength-goal-ratio/2015/

I suggest that this roster over last year's roster should result in a bigger difference than one even strength goal every six games or so.

2015-16: 74 even strength goals, 47 games, 1.57 per game

2014-15: 116 even strength goals, 82 games, 1.41 per game

Source is here: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-even-strength-goal-ratio/2015/

I suggest that this roster over last year's roster should result in a bigger difference than one even strength goal every six games or so.

Thanks for finding these.

Gotta say that I question DD these days about usage quite a bit. We are clicking well and then he inserts gorges into the lineup, the gionta usage in the earlier part of the year, the kane/eichel mess. The Alamo mode.

I know it's a rebuilding year and I wasnt expecting playoffs at all, but I'm a little underwhelmed overall

To what extent can we blame Bylsma for our abysmal 5v5 scoring? Is it unfair to give him any blame? Is it all lack of talent and injuries? Can someone find our 5v5 GPG compared to last year's?

I don't know.  I look at this team and realize that now they score on the PP which they didn't do last year.  I think to myself that when the Sabres can compress their talent into two lines they are able to score.  This means that either the rest of the team sucks or they are having a down year, or both.  So, I would suspect as they filter in new talent the scoring should increase in 5 on 5.  Look at the Bruins abysmal 5 on 5 scoring.  I think the same thing is happening there but they are on the decline.

Source is here:  http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/team-even-strength-goal-ratio/2015/

Good stuff.  Here's the thing though.  Different coaching systems might account for some of the reason why the increase is not higher.  more below...

Ennis I'm not sure about, but he's definitely not using Moulson correctly. I'll dig up his 5v5 history later

And here is where I bring that up.  What if Ennis and Moulson just do not play well in the DD system?  We should expect a decrease in their scoring.  Perhaps they were better suited for the Nolan way of life or some other coaching style?  It's clear we have some who are flourishing (Risto, Eichel, McGinn, Kane, O'Reilly, Reinhart).  A talented player can be diminished by the role a coach requires him to play.  We saw this with Ovechkin.  We attributed a lot of that to Lindy Ruff too.

I don't think all the pieces fit yet.  So the 5 on 5 scoring remains improved but not as improved as it could be based on those factors.

I don't know how much of it is the coach yet.

Not really.  There should be a significant improvement over last year.

Why?  Even Assuming a higher quality of player we have suffered a high volume of lost man games (Kane, Lehner, Ennis, Pysyk, Girgensons) so the overall capability is roughly equivalent.  You keep saying we should be better but I don't see why.  We are new, and young.  I don't get the heightened expectations other than hype around the trades and the draft.  We still were bringing, Gionta, Moulson, Foligno, Dlo Gorges Johnson to the dance.  

Again why "should it?"

Why?  Even Assuming a higher quality of player we have suffered a high volume of lost man games (Kane, Lehner, Ennis, Pysyk, Girgensons) so the overall capability is roughly equivalent.  You keep saying we should be better but I don't see why.  We are new, and young.  I don't get the heightened expectations other than hype around the trades and the draft.  We still were bringing, Gionta, Moulson, Foligno, Dlo Gorges Johnson to the dance.  

Again why "should it?"

I'm not sure what Johnson has to do with goals for.

Last year, Gionta, Moulson, Foligno, etc. were about the best on the roster.

This year they are not.  

It really should be self-evident that this year's roster is considerably better than last year's roster, even with injuries.  If you actually want to argue that point, I'm not having it.

Any stats compared to last year are pretty much useless honestly. It'd be better to view Byslma's history and trends with it and compare it to league averages

Agreed, the Sabres literally set the Mendoza line for modern NHL stats. Below that you are so sucky that suck won't even claim you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.