Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

If Babcock turned down Buffalo because he wanted more power, or real power, then Toronto is a weird place for him to land. Shanahan definitely has a strong voice in making personnel decisions.  And Lamoriello is one of the most hands-on GMs in the league (sure Lou was hired after Babcock, but Shanahan had made it clear that he was bringing in a GM when Mike signed on).

So instead of being part of a duo with Murray in Buffalo, he chose to be a part of a triad in Toronto?  Toronto's organizational structure doesn't really offer a great opportunity for Babcock to drive personnel decisions.

I think Babcock's desire to be more involved with personnel decisions is overblown. He wanted to coach the Maple Leafs and he wanted a big contract, and that's what he got.

Good post.  This is almost certainly what happened, IMHO.

Sure. But what about defenders who can actually skate? You know, for when Larsson inevitably gets worked over by McDavid on the very first shift? 

Right.  `

Consider the difference in raw talent via draft position.

McDavid - 1, Yakupov  - 1, Eberle - 22

Larsson - 56, Gionta - 82, Foligno - 104

And as someone on WGR said, who cares!?!  We are in 25th place.  Play the young stars straight up and entertain the 19,000 people who dropped serious cash to be there to watch two terrible teams.  I know that's not realistic but it's a damn good point.

I want a defensive forward on McDavid.

That was evidently Hot Daniel's rationale. Logical. Defensible. And not a lick of fun or imagination to it.

All that and in a game crying for offense! We start with that matchup and a goal against.

weeeeeee

So, here's something a little something-ish: White at WGR tweeted, at some point today, words to the following effect:

Blysma: "I didn't give into the moment." It was only the most anticipated moment in the arena all year. Thanks, Dan.

It's gone now. I saw it in my feed (must've preserved it in a cache), but then it disappeared.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw that in here.

Consensus about Dans flaws are growing.

Given that Risto has been sucking, McCabe hot and cold, Pysyk disappointing and everyone else sucks, how much credit do we give him for the team's relative success keeping the puck out of the net?

Also, both special teams have been quite good. How much credit does he get for that?

Sure. But what about defenders who can actually skate? You know, for when Larsson inevitably gets worked over by McDavid on the very first shift? 

On Larsson: to be fair, McDavid was in fact kept in check most of the night.  You wouldn't think so looking at the score sheet, but if you remove the OT goal that was a special circumstance, McDavid capitalized off a terrible play by one of our defensemen (Bogosian?), and made a great play, as he's a great player. But besides that? He looked good, and dangerous a few times, but realistically he just looked like a good player out there who we mostly kept in check.

If Larsson was playing against McDavid for a significant amount of time yesterday, he did a good job.

I just wondered what GM TM was responding to. And I wonder what he's been barking about.

He was responding to the question about his input on line combinations, etc. He said he gives his opinions that plus other things he thinks need working on after watching games, but he lets the coaches do their job. GMTM says he's never been a micro-manager and never will be. 

His most interesting comments concerned Moulson. He basically said Moulson was out of shape and not ready to play at the speed Bylsma demands. Says he's been very dedicated since being called out about it. 

GO SABRES!!!

His most interesting comments concerned Moulson. He basically said Moulson was out of shape and not ready to play at the speed Bylsma demands. Says he's been very dedicated since being called out about it.

What in the actual?!

Getting that hefty multi-year deal wasn't enough to elicit dedication?! ... Wait a second.

What in the actual?!

Getting that hefty multi-year deal wasn't enough to elicit dedication?! ... Wait a second.

My exact reaction when I heard it as well. At a minimum, I expect players to hold up that end of the bargain. No excuse for an older vet, either. 

That, and no wonder Jack's freezer is full of junk food. 

GO SABRES!!!

He was responding to the question about his input on line combinations, etc. He said he gives his opinions that plus other things he thinks need working on after watching games, but he lets the coaches do their job. GMTM says he's never been a micro-manager and never will be.

GO SABRES!!!

Which has had zero impact in his game. He should be with Jack, Reino, or Kane. He needs other players to lug the mail while he gets in position around the net. Matt's game is never going to be about attacking on the rush.

I have a feeling the term "out of shape" for an NHL player isn't the same "out of shape" for an Internet message board poster.

Haha, no doubt. But out of shape to skate well enough is out of shape to skate well enough, regardless. Even Jobba the Hutt knows that. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.