Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Waiting to see when Bylsma is canned is now Sabre Story #1 for me.

He doesn't deserve to make it to draft day.

We are going to find out if Tim Murray is a real genius, or faking it.  I think there is a chance he hired Bylsma to appease the masses and create an illusion that the tank is over, while getting one more season of tanking in to add another top piece.

A pretty bad Oiler team last night with a number of call ups and missing a number of starters including Ryan Nugent "Thompsons" beat an even worse Sabre team.  Edmonton is giving up nearly 3 goals a game; we managed one.

Bylsma was actually actively getting the COR line matched up against McDavid; the guy can't get the regular lines back on the ice for 2 or 3 shifts after a penalty kill (that's a reoccurring theme with him) and he loves to throw together garbage and mix it up almost nightly.  Our passing in all 3 zones is garbage; our entries are confused; pure defensive zone coverage is spotty; BOGO is a disaster and Kane isn't far behind him but Disco loves to play him at wrong times with the wrong players.

His player usage, in-game bench generalship, and overall grasp of things are HORRID.

The idiot actually called a TO last night at the perfect moment to rest the Edmonton #1 PP unit at a critical time.

Will be interesting to see if and when GMTM shows Disco the door.

From my armchair, there's "no way" GMTM fires HCHDDB after just one season coming off last year. Next year if the team doesn't progress, perhaps. If nothing else, firing a guy after one year is burning bridges with other coaches.

From my armchair, there's "no way" GMTM fires HCHDDB after just one season coming off last year. Next year if the team doesn't progress, perhaps. If nothing else, firing a guy after one year is burning bridges with other coaches.

Agreed. I wish he would though. Getting the right coach should be all that matters. Not a single Golden State fan remembers that Mark Jackson was "unfairly" fired when the team was "making progress" because Steve Kerr came in and proved to simply be a lot better. Sorry for the bouncey ball reference, it was the first parallel that came to mind.

I want to believe he would do it. This team has under performed, and not just because Matt Moulson fell off a cliff. 

It's also obvious that the man GMTM thought he hired, a wiser and better Dan Bylsma, isn't what he actually received. Instead we've got same old Dan. 

Agreed. I wish he would though. Getting the right coach should be all that matters. Not a single Golden State fan remembers that Mark Jackson was "unfairly" fired when the team was "making progress" because Steve Kerr came in and proved to simply be a lot better. Sorry for the bouncey ball reference, it was the first parallel that came to mind.

Feck's sake. We should get Steve Kerr in here.

He tries to out coach the other team always instead of putting his best out and saying here beat them.

Good post. My problem with Bylsma in a nutshell.

Number one rule for defensemen: keep players to the outside. So if you're trying to enter the offensive zone along the boards, you've done the defense's job for them. 

Notice that whenever Eichel enters the zone along the boards, there's never a Buffalo player drawing coverage down the slot. That's because Eichel should be the one drawing coverage. 

Eichel should be playing in the middle of the ice, in space. Space is how Jack can turn defenders around. If Jack is carrying the puck through the middle it draws defenders away from the boards. If a winger is carrying the puck along the boards, Jack coming down the middle is going to draw the defenders away from that winger. Jack's PURE TALENT is a tool, and Bylsma is wasting it. 

Bylsma's refusal to accept basic hockey strategy is maddening. Let your talented players use their talent. 

Excellent stuff

I wanted Eichel out to start the game. I was mad he wasn't. I don't think it matters.

I can come up with a half dozen other criticisms that are actually important. For instance, did anyone else catch how often the Cal O'Reilly line was out against McDavid? We're at home, and Bylsma is gifting the other team the perfect matchup. Was he confused about which O'Reilly was on the bench? I honestly can't fathom how this happened.

GED nailed it...There's no reason to put O'Reilly against McDavid last night. Another criticism is his "system". The defense is not involved in the offense and instead prepares for the turnover by playing back or dumping the puck for a line change instead of controlling play (even if you must retreat with the puck) and making changes.  

They're praising McClellan for being aware of the importance of McDavid being the focal point of that game. They think it was ballsy and the right move. 

Rob Ray agrees with Eichel not starting because "maybe the kid needed a break". Sure Rob.  :rolleyes:

They're praising McClellan for being aware of the importance of McDavid being the focal point of that game. They think it was ballsy and the right move.

Rob Ray agrees with Eichel not starting because "maybe the kid needed a break". Sure Rob. :rolleyes:

I'd put jack out and say "go"

Rob thinks Bylsma was protecting Eichel from pressure because he says Eichel was stressed about "wanting to get it over with".

I think Eichel's version of getting it over with might be different than Rob and Dan's. Just maybe. Maybe he wanted the challenge. To rise and meet McDavid. 

Rob thinks Bylsma was protecting Eichel from pressure because he says Eichel was stressed about "wanting to get it over with".

I think Eichel's version of getting it over with might be different than Rob and Dan's. Just maybe. Maybe he wanted the challenge. To rise and meet McDavid.

Judging from Jack's poat game he wanted the challenge

Of course he did.

Jack does not like all the hype he just wanted to get that crap out of the way and play the game ... HIS GAME.  Disco Dan refused to let him do it.  I just don't get it.

Rob also doesn't think there's anyone on the roster right now who can play with Jack. 

This is sad in so many ways.  I think he is right and that is not taking anything from ROR or Sam.  They both play a different game.  

Of course he did.

Jack does not like all the hype he just wanted to get that crap out of the way and play the game ... HIS GAME.  Disco Dan refused to let him do it.  I just don't get it.

Helicopter Coaching.

Reinhart? O'Reilly? Risto?

Other than that, yeah.

I think this forum has the right people pegged based on the current roster. For whatever reason DDB doesn't. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.