• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Why not 6mil for 6 or 7? That doesnt make much sense as the contract will be worth much less than 2014 6million in 2020.

No. You have no idea what that contract will be worth against the capo in 2020. What if we have RFAs that need to be signed? What if there are other players we want ? This is the type of idea that gets you into cap trouble.

No. You have no idea what that contract will be worth against the capo in 2020. What if we have RFAs that need to be signed? What if there are other players we want ? This is the type of idea that gets you into cap trouble.

No it isnt. Barring anything unforeseen happening and the economy tanking or the NHL tanking it will be a great contract in 2020. If we have RFAs to be signed then we sign them. It wont be like going after big UFA's. Or we retain some salary and ship him out. The new CBA allows you to do these things without getting in trouble. The only trouble we could be in is the next 2-3 years and we dont have anyone we need to keep! Barring girgensons exploding and becoming a 9 million dollar player..... If he is gonna get injured and not going to play then you cut him. Or waive him or get rid of him. This isnt an albatross contract.

I am talking 30million.

You are talking 42million.

We just disagree on his worth.

No it isnt. Barring anything unforeseen happening and the economy tanking or the NHL tanking it will be a great contract in 2020. If we have RFAs to be signed then we sign them. It wont be like going after big UFA's. Or we retain some salary and ship him out. The new CBA allows you to do these things without getting in trouble. The only trouble we could be in is the next 2-3 years and we dont have anyone we need to keep! Barring girgensons exploding and becoming a 9 million dollar player..... If he is gonna get injured and not going to play then you cut him. Or waive him or get rid of him. This isnt an albatross contract.

I have now seen this twice. What if someone else becomes a 9mil a year player? What if we get McDavid or Eichel? Reinhart? What if they are that good. What if we get two players that good?

Again you have no idea what the cap will be in 2020. The cap is going up because of tv deals. The rate of NHL consumption though is slowing. It is a merchandise and arena driven beast. I wouldn't be surprised if in 2020 the cap was just at around 80mil. Now I could be wrong but these are the things a gm has to plan for.

Again I am at 30mil and you are at 42. It is just a difference of value for 1 particular player.

I am talking 30million.

You are talking 42million.

We just disagree on his worth.

No we agree on his worth just not the years. His most expensive year will be next year if the cap continues to grow as it is expected and widely accepted to grow over the next 7 years. So you think he is worth the 8-9 percent of the cap next year but that he wont be worth the 6-8 percent of the cap at the end of the contract?

I dont understand that logic

If we are not willing to go after players like RC right now and hope that all our draft picks pan out we are in for a rough ride. We have minimal wingers in our system. Even under the best scenario and we get Reinhart and McDavid who are our wingers? More kids? RC's are not going to come around every day. We have to have veterans locked up also.

When he is our 3rd line winger i will worry about his contract. We will be in good shape when that day comes. For right now and the next few years he is not a 3rd line winger. Not on this team!!

Scratch Moulson and Ott tonight and see how this forward group looks. Wont be long before they are scratched for good.

The NHL salary cap is going up to 71 million. That was artificially constructed. But it will only continue to grow and I think it will hop up towards 80 million in the next 4 years. The growth that happened around the olympics the last time moved it up about 7 million dollars as well and all that momentum was lost with the lockout with the new tv deal upping it this much I think the olympics will only add to that momentum and drive the product up even more. This deal looks great in 5 years. This team should be good in 5 years. Callahan should be the leader in five years, at that point we can rework the deal if needed to keep the kids that have hopefully matured very well. A sweetheart deal for a hometown captain on a team that is truly his. or we can retain salary and ship him out for more kids to keep the team good. Look at what Chicago does....

Didn't our new GM say you need to draft well and trade well to build a team. Then he said something about after that you can use UFA to put you over the top?

ok well we have a thousand picks in the next three years with a bunch more supposedly coming in before this trade deadline from trades. That sounds a lot like we got the trading and drafting aspects set up. So guess what time it is? UFA TIME!!!!

The NHL salary cap is going up to 71 million. That was artificially constructed. But it will only continue to grow and I think it will hop up towards 80 million in the next 4 years. The growth that happened around the olympics the last time moved it up about 7 million dollars as well and all that momentum was lost with the lockout with the new tv deal upping it this much I think the olympics will only add to that momentum and drive the product up even more. This deal looks great in 5 years. This team should be good in 5 years. Callahan should be the leader in five years, at that point we can rework the deal if needed to keep the kids that have hopefully matured very well. A sweetheart deal for a hometown captain on a team that is truly his. or we can retain salary and ship him out for more kids to keep the team good. Look at what Chicago does....

ok well we have a thousand picks in the next three years with a bunch more supposedly coming in before this trade deadline from trades. That sounds a lot like we got the trading and drafting aspects set up. So guess what time it is? UFA TIME!!!!

Umm how can we rework his 7yr deal in 5 years? Make up your mind what you are willing to give him because that is the debate. it has nothing to do with his character. It has to do with how much and how long you are willing to pay him.

"Put you over the top" was meant to mean take you from playoff team to Cup favorite. Not take you from dead last in the NHL to bottom 5.

Umm how can we rework his 7yr deal in 5 years? Make up your mind what you are willing to give him because that is the debate. it has nothing to do with his character. It has to do with how much and how long you are willing to pay him.

As much as we want if he wants to stay on the team....... we have the cap room right now to give him this deal which is the sad part since we have so much crap buried or retained. that is with the leino and stafford deals on the books.

For the 8.5 that leino and stafford arte making we have foligno and callahan instead.

We have 55 million dollars to spend in two years. Unless we are gonna go crazy with UFAs there is no way this contract puts us into any kind of trouble.

Edited by FolignosJock

As much as we want if he wants to stay on the team....... we have the cap room right now to give him this deal which is the sad part since we have so much crap buried or retained. that is with the leino and stafford deals on the books.

For the 8.5 that leino and stafford arte making we have foligno and callahan instead.

We have 55 million dollars to spend in two years. Unless we are gonna go crazy with UFAs there is no way this contract puts us into any kind of trouble.

I am looking at 5 years away not 2. Again we disagree on his worth. I wouldn't pay him 42 when i think he is only worht 30 at most. It is what it is.

You guys are complaining about being in a blackhawks situation where all their young talent panned out and they didn't have enough money to keep everyone...... do you guys really think that is a problem? That is the type of problem I would love to be in! And what did they do? they dealt away the veteran leadership of the team because the kids had become the leadership. Which is exactly what we want to happen. Heck I think in two of those deal they ended up getting those veterans back at a bargain because they loved the team and loved winning!

I am looking at 5 years away not 2. Again we disagree on his worth. I wouldn't pay him 42 when i think he is only worht 30 at most. It is what it is.

you arent paying him 30! You are paying him 6per. Stop acting like years arent involved. or would you be cool with giving him 10mil for 3 years?

So am I. I like Callahan and all, but we can't just throw money around because there's room now. No one would be really upset at giving Callahan an extra $1-2M now, but once you add up a couple of those $1-2M extra contracts down the road we're in cap-hell and not able to sign or re-sign players we need.

No disagreement there. But if you're going to overpay for a UFA relative to his stats, a heart-and-soul guy like Callahan who is a reliable 20-25 goal scorer, a team captain, will have just turned 29 and fills a desperate need (i.e. top 6 forward) is the guy to overpay.

No one's talking about throwing money at another Leino just because it's there and he's there.

Didn't our new GM say you need to draft well and trade well to build a team. Then he said something about after that you can use UFA to put you over the top?

He did indeed say that, which is a good reason to be skeptical that they will go hog wild about Callahan.

No disagreement there. But if you're going to overpay for a UFA relative to his stats, a heart-and-soul guy like Callahan who is a reliable 20-25 goal scorer, a team captain, will have just turned 29 and fills a desperate need (i.e. top 6 forward) is the guy to overpay.

No one's talking about throwing money at another Leino just because it's there and he's there.

He did indeed say that, which is a good reason to be skeptical that they will go hog wild about Callahan.

I just feel like how many players can we possibly draft? Who else are we gonna trade or trade for? In two years who are we paying all this money we have to? 55 million dollars worth of cap space projected for the 15-16 season. The only way we can get into cap trouble with a deal like this is if our draft turns us into the blackhawks. That is the problem that we want!

You guys are complaining about being in a blackhawks situation where all their young talent panned out and they didn't have enough money to keep everyone...... do you guys really think that is a problem? That is the type of problem I would love to be in! And what did they do? they dealt away the veteran leadership of the team because the kids had become the leadership. Which is exactly what we want to happen. Heck I think in two of those deal they ended up getting those veterans back at a bargain because they loved the team and loved winning!

you arent paying him 30! You are paying him 6per. Stop acting like years arent involved. or would you be cool with giving him 10mil for 3 years?

I would give him 10mil X 3years if it meant that in 6-7years I don't have 35 yr old Ryan Callahan on my team.

I agree that it is the type of player I would overpay. My issue is the contract length and $ amount.

I would give him 10mil X 3years if it meant that in 6-7years I don't have 35 yr old Ryan Callahan on my team.

I agree that it is the type of player I would overpay. My issue is the contract length and $ amount.

The only reason you need to get rid of him is if the rebuild works like we want it to. At that point it will be simple to retain salary and trade him or just trade him. Again look at what the blackhawks have done. If he really isnt helping the team at all and no one wants him then he would likely retire/take a paycut/ get buried in the AHL. This isnt that difficult.

Watching the Oiler's highlights from last night, immediatly the first thing that sticks out is how much I don't want Yakupov.

Watch around the 1 minute mark, when he completely gives up on a play that leads to a scoring chance. It would've been a goal if his teammate hadn't hustled all the way from behind Yakupov to bail him out. It's not hard to figure out why he's a -29 after watching that.

http://video.nhl.com...d=sb:highlights

Edited by WildCard

Watching the Oiler's highlights from last night, immediatly the first thing that sticks out is how much I don't want Yakupov.

Watch around the 1 minute mark, when he completely gives up on a play that leads to a scoring chance. It would've been a goal if his teammate hadn't hustled all the way from behind Yakupov to bail him out. It's not hard to figure out why he's a -29 after watching that.

http://video.nhl.com...d=sb:highlights

Just an aside but I watched parts of their game last night (one of the first times I've seen an Oil game this year). Man their D is as advertised. Their transition game breaking out of their own end is not bad but there were 3 or 4 odd man rushes against in the 10 or 15 minutes I watched. Their D looked horrible. Also, Scrivens played lights out but he also got lucky. San Jose hit two crossbars and missed an open net in the little time that I watched. I was pleasantly shocked to wake up and see the Oils won. I didn't notice Yak the whole time.

When has overpaying for a player ever worked to a team's advantage?

What teams are going offer Callahan that kind of money? It could happen, but in a year or two that signing won't look as good.

When has overpaying for a player ever worked to a team's advantage?

What teams are going offer Callahan that kind of money? It could happen, but in a year or two that signing won't look as good.

He is going to get the 6-7 million regardless. That is without question.

You might think he is only worth 30 but i bet 8-10 GM's will disagree with you and throw 40+ at him.

Edited by sicknfla

I'd love it if people started showing up to FNC dressed like this. Granted I understand people with season tix may not be as enthusiastic about the tank as some of us are.

This is a better look. The problem is the hipsters would probably come over to talk to you.

oddball.jpg