Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

A lot has happened since he (presumably) reconciled himself to it though. In your situation, if your boss and your boss' boss had been canned and replaced with 3 guys whom you really liked and trusted, wouldn't that have caused you to give serious consideration to staying on?

Maybe, but sports are a different world entirely. Any comparison to day-to-day business and other jobs is irrelevant.

This specific scenario that Miller is currently going through would make anybody at least think, but I doubt it's much of a game changer. The team is still one of the worst in league history and every sign points to it being like that for at least another year or two.

A lot has happened since he (presumably) reconciled himself to it though. In your situation, if your boss and your boss' boss had been canned and replaced with 3 guys whom you really liked and trusted, wouldn't that have caused you to give serious consideration to staying on?

I don't think so. I was gone mentally. I was offered a substantial increase in pay and some pretty nifty bennies to stay with the project. But I had already checked out and had completely accepted that I was done with that project. I'm not saying Miller is def here, but given the thought process I went through just about a year ago and how I reacted to it, I can def see that if Miller had already let himself go somewhere else emotionally that it might be a lost cause to try and bring him back around.

We just might find out I guess.

Maybe, but sports are a different world entirely. Any comparison to day-to-day business and other jobs is irrelevant.

This specific scenario that Miller is currently going through would make anybody at least think, but I doubt it's much of a game changer. The team is still one of the worst in league history and every sign points to it being like that for at least another year or two.

I don't think the comparison is necessarily business to sports. Rather I think it is a comparison of the human thought process, and I'd be surprised if pro athletes go through a different emotional and thought process than us normal folk go through.

Who knows. None of us are in their shoes. That's for sure.

Kirstie Alley on Stern yesterday said she dated a guy who had literally nothing going on in that department.... the word micro was used. I only had it on in the background so I didn't catch all the details, but I wonder if she threw some Hollywood dude under the bus with that revelation.

In Kristie Alleys situation its a case of the size of the car in relation to the garage you're parking it in.

.... the word micro was used.

My wife had the unfortunate circumstance of dating a micro penis man. Google images if you really want to ruin you day. So I was the benefactor of this chumps inadequacies. I was king ###### donng after that thimble sized loser.

My wife had the unfortunate circumstance of dating a micro penis man. Google images if you really want to ruin you day. So I was the benefactor of this chumps inadequacies. I was king ###### donng after that thimble sized loser.

Did she mention my I mean his 7 inch tongue.

In Kristie Alleys situation its a case of the size of the car in relation to the garage you're parking it in.

A hot dog in a hallway.

In fairness to her I believe that she was referring to a time in her heydey during the Cheers era, when she was undeniably hot. Also, she was there promoting her new sitcom (with Michael Richards and Rhea Perlman so I just might have to watch) and she apparently has dropped a lot of weight.

Kirstie said the thing that bothered her most about the micro sized guy was his bravado. Here he was equipped with in her words "a pencil eraser" and he was all macho about what he was going to "give to her".

In fairness to her I believe that she was referring to a time in her heydey during the Cheers era, when she was undeniably hot. Also, she was there promoting her new sitcom (with Michael Richards and Rhea Perlman so I just might have to watch) and she apparently has dropped a lot of weight.

Having watched Wrath of (Seigel, Kelleher, and) KHHHHAAAAANNNNNN the other day, she made a pretty fine Vulcan too.

Wrath of (Seigel, Kelleher, and) KHHHHAAAAANNNNNN

nice.

remember those ads that used to play on the radio broadcast of the bills games (not too long ago): I'm Dennis KAHN of the law firm Siegel Kelleher and KAHN.

I just wish I could impart the level of nasal-sound that dude used in pronouncing his name. Actually, it may not have been all nasal. There was this weird back-of-the-throat-Steven-Page quality to it, too

Pure speculation but Miller stays. Same average salary as Lundquist but for 6 years. After buying out Leino we will be hard pressed to reach cap floor. PL & TN will convince him this rebuild is going to be expedited.

I don't know if the rebuild will be expedited, but signing Miller to big money for a while shouldn't hurt the team. His contract should be winding down by the time we have to pay our kids big money.

Pure speculation but Miller stays. Same average salary as Lundquist but for 6 years. After buying out Leino we will be hard pressed to reach cap floor. PL & TN will convince him this rebuild is going to be expedited.

Promises aren't going to be enough. They're going to have to show him with FA signings.

I see it playing out differently.

They sign Miller for two years. If they make enough progress in two years that they're knocking on the door, he can extend at his option. If not, he can walk. I like to think he wants a Cup but he's willing, if he sees enough progress by the end of the year, to try to do it with the Sabres, so he gives them two years to get there. If the Sabres still suck, he will try to win his Cup elsewhere.

They sign Miller for two years. If they make enough progress in two years that they're knocking on the door, he can extend at his option. If not, he can walk. I like to think he wants a Cup but he's willing, if he sees enough progress by the end of the year, to try to do it with the Sabres, so he gives them two years to get there. If the Sabres still suck, he will try to win his Cup elsewhere.

He can get a 5yr, 30-35M contract just about anywhere; why does he do this?

I could possibly see him signing for 5 years rather than 7 if the $'s are right. I see no way he only signs for 2. An injury in the 2nd year and he just threw away at least $20MM.

There is zero possibility of this.

And they can't before his contract expires.

And this is why he will be a Blue or an Avalanche, or a... by February

I don't think either of those teams (both of whom are pretty well situated in net) will take the plunge on Miller.

Looking at the top 6 in each conference, I think the only realistic possibilities are Pittsburgh and Washington.

From the Sabres' perspective, the supply/demand situation will result in a low trade yield -- which will likely shade their thinking towards keeping Miller.

From Miller's perspective, it's possible (though not a certainty) that the Sabres will be willing to pay him substantially more than a real contender will. I think Miller will also appreciate the value of playing his entire career for one team, as well as the determination of the Sabres organization to turn things around and the resources that TP brings to the table.

I think it's 50/50 that they keep him. And I'd spend quite a bit to do so if it were up to me.

I don't think either of those teams (both of whom are pretty well situated in net) will take the plunge on Miller.

Looking at the top 6 in each conference, I think the only realistic possibilities are Pittsburgh and Washington.

From the Sabres' perspective, the supply/demand situation will result in a low trade yield -- which will likely shade their thinking towards keeping Miller.

From Miller's perspective, it's possible (though not a certainty) that the Sabres will be willing to pay him substantially more than a real contender will. I think Miller will also appreciate the value of playing his entire career for one team, as well as the determination of the Sabres organization to turn things around and the resources that TP brings to the table.

I think it's 50/50 that they keep him. And I'd spend quite a bit to do so if it were up to me.

Agree 100% with all of this.

I think Miller can be had. And with the way this team is trying to build through the draft, the contracts wont really start getting big for our new core for another two-three-four years. It almost makes sense to overpay him.

I agree the Sabres can and should overpay to keep him. And most of the above make sense.

I just don't think they will be able to offer Miller what he really wants - a shot at the cup.

To me, that's the subtext of all his interviews on the subject. He'd have to see concrete steps - not plans or promises - before he signs.

I don't know what steps they can show him before the trade deadline.

From the Sabres perspective, keeping him unsigned in the hopes they can impress him with a splash at the draft and in the free agent market is too much of a risk, unless the skeptics are right and a late second is the best return we can hope for in a trade.

As for the teams, Colorado is just a personal dark horse based on Roy's love of both Miller and bold moves.

But I think you are understating the fit in St. Louis. This is real cup contender with a fragile, second-tier goalie.

They won't gut their roster for Miller, but I will be very surprised if they don't make a serious offer based on futures.

I agree the Sabres can and should overpay to keep him. And most of the above make sense.

I just don't think they will be able to offer Miller what he really wants - a shot at the cup.

To me, that's the subtext of all his interviews on the subject. He'd have to see concrete steps - not plans or promises - before he signs.

I don't know what steps they can show him before the trade deadline.

From the Sabres perspective, keeping him unsigned in the hopes they can impress him with a splash at the draft and in the free agent market is too much of a risk, unless the skeptics are right and a late second is the best return we can hope for in a trade.

As for the teams, Colorado is just a personal dark horse based on Roy's love of both Miller and bold moves.

But I think you are understating the fit in St. Louis. This is real cup contender with a fragile, second-tier goalie.

They won't gut their roster for Miller, but I will be very surprised if they don't make a serious offer based on futures.

I can't argue with any of this except maybe the STL part -- and even there I wouldn't be too surprised if they offered up, say, their first-rounder for Miller and the Sabres' 4th-rounder.

I think you are right that it really comes down to timing -- i.e. whether Miller will sign an extension before the deadline, which will be before he has the chance to see how much contender-building progress the Sabres can make, and whether the Sabres will trade him if he doesn't sign before the deadline.

It's not impossible that PLF and the new GM convince him of their intentions before the deadline, though (he said bravely).

Archived