Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

He can get a 5yr, 30-35M contract just about anywhere; why does he do this?

Just a gut feel. It would boost his legacy.

And I'm just a hopeless romantic. :wub:

To me, that's the subtext of all his interviews on the subject. He'd have to see concrete steps - not plans or promises - before he signs.

I don't know what steps they can show him before the trade deadline.

The two year thing sprung from last night's interview. There was a certain satisfaction in his tone of voice yesterday. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but maybe he's starting to mull it over. The two year thing came from what he might demand to stay; if he's really not sure if this team is going to get competitive, he may want an escape clause so he has some shot at a Cup.

Only way I can see a 2 year deal is with player options (if they are allowed) to end the contract at anytime after 2 years (so he signs maybe a 5-8 year deal, but it can be voided by him after the first 2 years)

The Sabres can also show him they want to expedite the rebuild before the end of the season by being aggressive with trades, using all the excess picks and some young prospects to obtain NHL talent now.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in a separate thread about trading/keeping Miller:

Here are my thoughts on why resigning Miller to anything longer than a four/five year deal would be a mistake:

-The Olympic year debate. It's hard to deny that Miller really only excels every four years when it's Olympic time. It's happening now, and it happened during his Vezina season. He has been solid but not great outside of that.

-Goaltenders in recent years have shown that you can remain productive or even improve at a late age... If you have a very good defense in front of you. However, I don't think it's worth banking on.

-Players in their contract year almost always play well above the norm. There are plenty of examples of this, and it may be happening with Miller. But that's not it. Miller knows that it's now or never for his future. If he plays well then it makes all of he following more likely: he gets a big contract, a team trades for him and/or the Sabres decide to give him a big contract. What happens when that is resolved? A lot of players immediately settle for less effort, especially when it's been such a long "saga."

-His attitude. I love my players to have a bit of a fire in them, especially a star. But what happens if you give him a huge deal and he becomes more disgruntled in time? You're going to have a messy situation on your hands and an upset goaltender. That wouldn't be good for the front office, the locker room or the fans.

In the end, do you really to risk giving a guy 6-8 years and then having his play decline because his long situation is finally resolved, age and/or attitude? I don't think he's that good to risk it, by any means. Even four years is a risk because so much can change in that time.

I get that the team would likely be dead last next year, but I doubt it would go much farther. The team will start coming into its own over the next 3-4 years when prospects start shaping up. That's PLENTY of time to find a new starting goaltender (I get the examples of teams who have spent eternity trying to find a good goalie, but those teams didn't just spend two first rounders to add to an already impressive crop of defensive prospects).

I think trading Miller is the smart and only move. He might think the same thing.

I think Miller stays now. I get the "Olympic kick" theory, and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but I think they throw money at him, and he stays. The only realistic trade partner is, what, Saint Louis? And what, exactly, is it going to give up? Nah, nothing that's worth it. Re-sign him.

As far as trade partners: all it takes it one. I would be willing to take one good piece. A top prospect, a first round pick (that we could hopefully turn right around for a top forward prospect somehow), a solid current NHL player. If their backs are against the wall and all they can get is a 2nd rounder, then I'll take that even.

However: if all they get offered is a third round pick or lower then I'd almost rather him just walk. Might as well get some more entertainment out of him than something that amounts to nothing.

I do think that the following teams are almost certain to register some level of real interest in Miller: Anaheim, Colorado, St. Louis, Washington.

Then I could see Carolina, Minnesota, Nashville, NYI, Pitt and Philly at least having internal discussions and maybe calling Buffalo just to see what the price is.

Do I think that many teams will have any interest beyond just a conversation or two? Probably not, but I'm willing to bet at least St. Louis and Washington make some sort of push to acquire him.

I wonder if Tim tries to swing a deal with his relative in Ottawa. He already has the goods on whats happening there as far as prospects and players that may be available. I'm not thinking the big 3 ( Miller, Ott or Moulson ) but perhaps someone else Ottawa's G.M. might have expressed interest in while Tim was still employed there. It would make his first deal go down easier hashing it out with family. Who knows ?

I wonder if Tim tries to swing a deal with his relative in Ottawa. He already has the goods on whats happening there as far as prospects and players that may be available. I'm not thinking the big 3 ( Miller, Ott or Moulson ) but perhaps someone else Ottawa's G.M. might have expressed interest in while Tim was still employed there. It would make his first deal go down easier hashing it out with family. Who knows ?

I'd assume they will talk. TM probably has some prospects there that he really likes and would like to bring over with him if possible.

There's already speculation that they might discuss draft picks, but I assume that'll come after the Sabres get another first round pick. I could see Ottawa having interest in Ott. Ottawa has a lot of skillful forwards, so a guy like Ott could bring some muscle (along with Neil).

I'd assume they will talk. TM probably has some prospects there that he really likes and would like to bring over with him if possible.

There's already speculation that they might discuss draft picks, but I assume that'll come after the Sabres get another first round pick. I could see Ottawa having interest in Ott. Ottawa has a lot of skillful forwards, so a guy like Ott could bring some muscle (along with Neil).

Doubt they'd move him but I'll take Zibanejad. Name your price.

I'm a huge fan of Lazar.

I'd trade Ott or Moulson straight across.

He'll, I'd throw in a pick.

You'd probably have to give both to have a shot at Lazar, but I don't think they'd move him for anything less than at least one long-term asset.

After listening to several TM interviews, I think perhaps the only one of the three who may get offered a contract is Ott. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if all three were traded away, or offered very short term contracts (1 or 2 years) just to fill the void until the 2015-2016 season.

You'd probably have to give both to have a shot at Lazar, but I don't think they'd move him for anything less than at least one long-term asset.

Two rentals ain't gonna cut it. I'm guessing Pysyk would have to go the other way.

Which is what I just said without naming names.

I think he's agreeing with you, but he's just adding maybe Pysyk would be a good fit.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm butting in battles that aren't my own in hopes of preventing them, in which case please except this emoticon as a response :oops:

I think he's agreeing with you, but he's just adding maybe Pysyk would be a good fit.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm butting in battles that aren't my own in hopes of preventing them, in which case please except this emoticon as a response :oops:

Haha there's no battles. I thought he might be agreeing but said what I said to make it clearer. Pysyk would definitely interest Ottawa I assume.

No I think you are right. DStebb/Tankalicious tends to get a little defensive at times.

:-). BTW my dumb ass can't figure out how to do the faces thingy. When I text they show up but on here they only do like the one above.

Emoji's don't work on the board I assume. The faces come from the full version. You can choose them using the smiley just above your post box.

Archived