Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

It's in the Sabres' best interest that the isles keep sucking.

If it's going to help them make the playoffs, it's got to be Strome, or next year's first, or no deal.

I agree with this. I would do Strome straight up, or next year's first while removing the ability for them to defer to next season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there 8 teams on Miller's no move clause with 7 of them being all the Canadian teams?

People took what he said the wrong way. He said he wouldn't accept a trade to Canada. But logic tells him he only needs to put Calgary, Edmonton and MAYBE Winnipeg and Toronto. Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal wouldn't need to be on there as they obviously wouldn't make that move.

People took what he said the wrong way. He said he wouldn't accept a trade to Canada. But logic tells him he only needs to put Calgary, Edmonton and MAYBE Winnipeg and Toronto. Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal wouldn't need to be on there as they obviously wouldn't make that move.

They wouldn't make that move back when Miller theoretically made his list?

As far as we know, he's never even submitted a list of teams he doesn't want to go to. And at this point, I really have no idea where he'd like to be at this stage of his career and given his wife's career considerations. Who knows?

I do know we've been talking about "where would Miller accept a trade to?" for at least two years now and I can't wait to get it over with. We really need to move on.

As far as we know, he's never even submitted a list of teams he doesn't want to go to. And at this point, I really have no idea where he'd like to be at this stage of his career and given his wife's career considerations. Who knows?

I do know we've been talking about "where would Miller accept a trade to?" for at least two years now and I can't wait to get it over with. We really need to move on.

Or resign him.

Link to what he actually said? All I recall seeing was some media comments.

Yes. I *think* it's Jan 1, but I need Taro/Chz to confirm.

IF the rule didn't change w/ the new CBA, because he has a multiyear deal he has been able to negotiate since~July 1. (IIRC, July 5 was the date this year because stuff was slightly delayed due to the lockout.)

January 1 is the date for 1 year deals. (Makes sense on a certain level that you can't sign a deal & immediately start renegotiating.)

IF the rule didn't change w/ the new CBA, because he has a multiyear deal he has been able to negotiate since~July 1. (IIRC, July 5 was the date this year because stuff was slightly delayed due to the lockout.)

January 1 is the date for 1 year deals. (Makes sense on a certain level that you can't sign a deal & immediately start renegotiating.)

That took thirteen days? And you obviously didn't read the new CBA, either. Sometimes I wonder what we're paying you for. I think you're Staffording this whole new CBA.

(Yes, folks, "Staffording" was used as a verb in the preceding sentence.)

Cool idea. Then we can spend several more years trying to figure out (1) which teams would be interested in trading for him and (2) which teams he would be interested in going to if he wants to win the Cup or be closer to his wife.

He might be more tradeable with a contract....... depending on the terms of course.

Darcy stated earlier in the year that they already had the list going into the season.

Nolan is on record saying that he wants Miller here. Moreover, he says that you build a championship team from the goalie on out.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Nolan-wants-Miller-to-stay/17897329

"“You look at all championship teams, it starts from the goaltending out. You build around him versus using him as a pawn to try get something to make you better. "

One of the better debates that's been had around here is the one that Nolan references there. It's clear where he lands on the subject. I'm not entirely sure it's the correct side of the debate.

Nolan is on record saying that he wants Miller here. Moreover, he says that you build a championship team from the goalie on out.

http://www.wgr550.co...o-stay/17897329

"“You look at all championship teams, it starts from the goaltending out. You build around him versus using him as a pawn to try get something to make you better. "

One of the better debates that's been had around here is the one that Nolan references there. It's clear where he lands on the subject. I'm not entirely sure it's the correct side of the debate.

I'd agree but only if he's willing to sign an extension. We can't risk letting him walk in July for nothing so if he won't sign we need to move him before the deadline. Same goes for Ott and Moulson.

I will say: It sort of troubles me that Ted views things this way (assuming he does in fact view them that way and isn't just saying that for some ulterior purpose (i.e., an olive branch to Miller)).

If nothing else, the modern era of championship teams seems to reflect that goaltending is more fungible (Nolan's "pawn") than was previously thought.

I will say: It sort of troubles me that Ted views things this way (assuming he does in fact view them that way and isn't just saying that for some ulterior purpose (i.e., an olive branch to Miller)).

If nothing else, the modern era of championship teams seems to reflect that goaltending is more fungible (Nolan's "pawn") than was previously thought.

Well, I'm not sure I'd go all the way to "fungible." The elite teams in the NHL all have really good goaltending. Looking at the top 4 in each conference, you have MAF, Rask, Price and Howard in the East and Crawford, Niemi, Quick and Hiller in the West.

While not all of these goalies are considered "elite" -- and certainly MAF has had a rocky time of it in the last couple of playoffs -- it's not like these teams are shuttling random dudes in and out. Those are well-established quality starters who have been good for a number of years.

Aaaargh. I wish you wouldn't state speculation as if it was fact.

My post was clearly speculation. Especially when words like "maybe" (in big letters) are present

In other words: You were wrong. I wasn't wrong. I'm never wrong. Just ask my mom!

Nothing has changed with Miller.

He remains the face of the franchise and our best player.

If he wants to be here, sign him.

If that can't be done by February, trade him.

+1

Archived