Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

He seemed to indicate, although maybe I didn't catch it right, that some teams have inquired about Miller.

I didn't see any video of this part of the interview, and I don't think there is any video of it. The panelist who interviewed him mentioned it. But I'm assuming that as soon as he got into the office he had multiple messages from teams that had already had talks letting him know that they're interested. Most likely teams just monitoring the situation until they know more about their own. I think there's probably an opportunity to trade him every week, but it's a matter of when you want to move him and what you want.

I think at this juncture I would be willing to give Miller a 5yr deal that tails off starting in 2 yrs as much as possible. I'd trade Jhonas because as much as I love him, I think he will be a starter/backup meaning a guy who kinda can start but probably is more of a backup netminder. I honestly think that in 2 years Ullmark will be the guy for us and if we could bring him over that gives us 3 more years of Miller mentoring... That is where I stand currently but it could change with time.

With the regime change, my entire thinking on this matter has also changed. I think we might be best off keeping Miller (if he is interested in staying, of course) and trading Jhonas. I agree with this post. And, I think we could get a nice return for Jhonas given his age and reasonable contract.

He seemed to indicate, although maybe I didn't catch it right, that some teams have inquired about Miller.

The vultures are circling now that DR is gone. Perhaps they're thinking the negotiations just got a whole lot easier with DR out of the picture.

The vultures are circling now that DR is gone. Perhaps they're thinking the negotiations just got a whole lot easier with DR out of the picture.

I have to think that whenever there's a change of direction in a front office where trades are expected to happen that personnel people all around the league immediately contact them to see what they might be able to get.

With the regime change, my entire thinking on this matter has also changed. I think we might be best off keeping Miller (if he is interested in staying, of course) and trading Jhonas. I agree with this post. And, I think we could get a nice return for Jhonas given his age and reasonable contract.

Unfortunately if we trade Jhonas we are also rolling the dice that Miller would want to stay. Trading Jhonas could result in losing both.

Unfortunately if we trade Jhonas we are also rolling the dice that Miller would want to stay. Trading Jhonas could result in losing both.

Obviously you re-sign Miller to an extension first... again, assuming he is interested, which is a big assumption at this point. If he has made up his mind to leave then all of this is moot!

Obviously you re-sign Miller to an extension first... again, assuming he is interested, which is a big assumption at this point. If he has made up his mind to leave then all of this is moot!

They can't do that until a certain date. Is it Jan 1?

NYIslanders@NYIslanders

#ISLES TRANSACTIONS: Anders Nilsson has been recalled from @TheSoundTigers & Evgeni Nabokov has been place on IR - http://nyisl.es/qVQbz

It appears the NYI could use some GT help. Only problem is we already depleted them of some of their talent and draft picks. Not sure if there is a deal there to be made but something to keep and EYE on.

NYIslanders@NYIslanders

#ISLES TRANSACTIONS: Anders Nilsson has been recalled from @TheSoundTigers & Evgeni Nabokov has been place on IR - http://nyisl.es/qVQbz

It appears the NYI could use some GT help. Only problem is we already depleted them of some of their talent and draft picks. Not sure if there is a deal there to be made but something to keep and EYE on.

We didn't take any talent from them. Not future talent at least. I get the feeling the Isles are on Miller's no-trade list. Otherwise it might've been Miller heading there and not Vanek.

If they would give us Strome for Miller straight up, I'd do it. Remove the condition from the first rounder and give us johan Sundstrom and Kirill Kabanov. I'd do that as well.

NYIslanders@NYIslanders

I hear they have this Vanek guy that might be pretty good, any way they do a Miller for Vanek deal? Lol

I was reading a TSN article and there was a comment from someone who put up a made up rumor which was actually a deal I had thought of before and would do and it involved Miller being traded to the Red Wings for Howard (Detroit would also have to throw in some picks/prospects though). Obviously Miller would approve a deal like this and probably sign an extension to play at home with his brother, but Detroit would upgrade their goaltending situation and Buffalo would get a younger, decent #1 goalie back in the deal

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Miller wanted on Long Island?

The New York Islanders haven’t lived up to the expectations they made for themselves after pushing the Pittsburgh Penguins to the limit with a seven-game series last spring.

That has GM Garth Snow working the phones.

Two league executives told the Sun that Snow has been working the phones to see if he can get a goaltender to try to get the club back on track in the race for the post-seaason.

The ideal scenario: Convince Ryan Miller to waive his ‘no move’ clause and leave the Buffalo Sabres for a short-term stay in Long Island to help the club make the post-season.

Miller will find it a lot different with the Sabres under Ted Nolan. He is a players’ coach but he also likes things done his way. If they aren’t, he’ll come down hard on the offenders.

It may be in Miller’s best interests to move on. The Isles may be a longshot but they need to improve in net or it’ll be an even longer year and coach Jack Capuano is on the hotseat.

NYIslanders@NYIslanders

Brock Nelson is a center with size and is only 22. Matt Donavan is a 23 defenseman the Sabres could add to the mix. The Islanders do have chips remaining to play. Any Islander/Miller deal, I would insist on taking that Islanders option off of their 2014 1st round pick.

What do the Isles have left to barter? The other #1 pick from '14 or '15? Garth Snow already got taken to the cleaners on the Vanek deal. Maybe he should put the pads back on and play?

Then at the end of that article it mentions the Preds needing help in net but no mention of Miller there.

PTR

I'll note for the record that Garrioch is a bozo and is just idly speculating here and move on.

He may be but it does make sense. For all we know Miller could have been involved in the Vanek deal as well and said no. Of course that is pure speculation also.

Miller might say no to NYI just to wait it out and see what else comes up between now and the deadline. There really is not much reason for him not to wait it out.

Archived