Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

That's about the last thing I read out of Millers comments. It sounds like he was asked a question and was being nice. It could have been Nashville in town and the quote would read something like, "Yeah, it's a great organization and city. I'm sure Rinne will be back, but I'd be happy to play there. Paul [Guastad] and I had our troubles, but he's a great guy and I wouldn't mind playing with him again. There's some great BBQ down there, and I really dig Hank Williams III's punk and rockabilly stuff."

That's about the last thing I read out of Millers comments. It sounds like he was asked a question and was being nice. It could have been Nashville in town and the quote would read something like, "Yeah, it's a great organization and city. I'm sure Rinne will be back, but I'd be happy to play there. Paul [Guastad] and I had our troubles, but he's a great guy and I wouldn't mind playing with him again. There's some great BBQ down there, and I really dig Hank Williams III's punk and rockabilly stuff."

What I took out of Miller's comments was he was revving up the PR train. Sorry but this guy has no intention of resigning here. He is playing for one thing right now - himself. Not that I blame him but don't be fooled. This dude checked out of here late last year.

I hope they get a good return for Miller, but he will be run down by the time the Finals roll around if he is the Olympic starter. He goes through that tourney, then gets a condensed schedule for 6 weeks...then needs to go win 16 games??? You physically see it from afar as a fan....he loses 15 freaking pounds on an already frail body. As focused as he can be, I have an almost impossible time seeing him winning a cup unless he is part of a 60/22 rotation in a regular year.

During the Canucks/Blues game tonight I thought they said the Blues have 10 players going to the Olympics.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-ottawa-senators-become-buyers/

WHO WILL THE NEW SABRES GM TRADE?

The Buffalo Sabres recent hiring of former Senators assistant GM Tim Murray as their new GM has some observers pondering the moves he could have in store for his new club.

CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports Murray, in the press conference announcing his hiring, indicated there were no untouchables on his new team. However, teams with interest in young Sabres like Zemgus Girgensons, Tyler Myers or Rasmus Ristolainen should expect to pay a high price to acquire them. That should discourage any rival GM hoping to fleece Murray, who has years of front office experience with several NHL clubs.

Murray’s biggest challenge will be determining the fate of pending free agents like Moulson, Ott and goaltender Ryan Miller. Murray is expected to speak with Miller before the March trade deadline about re-signing with the Sabres. If the netminder intends to test this summer’s free agent market, Murray could shop him for the best possible return.

COULD THE PANTHERS LAND MILLER?

Harvey Fialkov of sun-sentinel.com notes Miller has family living in Florida, suggesting the Panthers could consider pursuing the 33-year-old goalie via free agency in July.

Vinnie Viola, the Panthers new owner, has given GM Dale Tallon permission to spend up to the cap ceiling this summer, which is projected to be $71.1 million for 2014-15. The Panthers currently have$40.4 million invested in 12 players, leaving them more than $35 million to pursue free agent talent like Miller in July.

It remains to be seen, of course, if the Panthers succeed in landing Miller or any of this summer’s top free agents. While they will bid competitively, that might not be enough to attract a veteran like Miller, who would likely prefer signing with a Stanley Cup contender. Indeed, Tallon should avoid pursuing veterans more interested in a big payday than in building a winner.

At the very least, the Panthers willingness to spend puts an end to speculation they’ll engage in a roster fire sale by the deadline.

Sure, but the report is damning no matter how you cut it. If they are desperate enough to ask for public funding then they aren't capable of putting an expensive, strongly performing team on the ice.

The owner just announced they are going to be spending to the cap. Asking for public funding has nothing to do with desperation. They ask because they can and because they will probably get it. Delaware North just took a public subsidy and they are as solid as they come.

"Harvey Fialkov of sun-sentinel.com notes Miller has family living in Florida, suggesting the Panthers could consider pursuing the 33-year-old goalie via free agency in July."

I'm sure Miller has family other places, such as Detroit and LA (just maybe). This is really starting to strike me as a Florida "please god pay attention to our team, maybe we can bring in an Olympic Goalie!"

"Harvey Fialkov of sun-sentinel.com notes Miller has family living in Florida, suggesting the Panthers could consider pursuing the 33-year-old goalie via free agency in July."

I'm sure Miller has family other places, such as Detroit and LA (just maybe). This is really starting to strike me as a Florida "please god pay attention to our team, maybe we can bring in an Olympic Goalie!"

I heard he had a cat in Edmonton once.

Couldn't bring it with him because of a no-move clause.

I like the thread, but with it being so close to the deadline, does anyone mind if I/we create a new deadline based thread for all trade rumors?

I considered asking this exact question. Just a Sabres trade deadline thread would be a good idea.

I heard he had a cat in Edmonton once.

Couldn't bring it with him because of a no-move clause.

See, I heard the cat hated him. All those Canadian teams are on his "no-move" list because he's worried the Royal Canadian Orphaned Animal Society will force him to take the cat back if he moves anywhere in the Dominion.

See, I heard the cat hated him. All those Canadian teams are on his "no-move" list because he's worried the Royal Canadian Orphaned Animal Society will force him to take the cat back if he moves anywhere in the Dominion.

The cat hated him because he kept blaming all the goals he let in on the cat's poor defensive support.

So on the Miller / Enroth question:

I cannot remember a time where a playoff team traded for a rental goalie. If someone else can remember one, please let me know! But playoff teams usually have that piece of the puzzle set, unless there's an injury. I can't see a big return for Miller.

Enroth, I fear, brings back only a second-round pick. The Sabres traded a backup of similar quality in Marty Biron, and that's what they got; the Scrivens deal makes me think that's all the Sabres will get this time, too.

So on the Miller / Enroth question:

I cannot remember a time where a playoff team traded for a rental goalie. If someone else can remember one, please let me know! But playoff teams usually have that piece of the puzzle set, unless there's an injury. I can't see a big return for Miller.

Enroth, I fear, brings back only a second-round pick. The Sabres traded a backup of similar quality in Marty Biron, and that's what they got; the Scrivens deal makes me think that's all the Sabres will get this time, too.

I agree -- there is NFW they would get a #1 for Ethron.

Do the Scrivens and Dubnyk trades qualify as deadline deals?

The return on Marty was the first pick of the second round - that's pretty similar to a late first, which seems to be what most think is the best return we'll get for miller.

As for Ethron, he would definitely get more than Scrivens, but I would be surprised and happy if he returned what the kings got for Bernier (Frattin, Scrivens and a second.

Ben Bishop was traded to the Sens for a second, then to the lightning for Conacher (rookie of the year candidate at the time.) it might sound silly given Bishop's numbers now, but at the time of his trades, he might be a comparable.

Do the Scrivens and Dubnyk trades qualify as deadline deals?

The return on Marty was the first pick of the second round - that's pretty similar to a late first, which seems to be what most think is the best return we'll get for miller.

As for Ethron, he would definitely get more than Scrivens, but I would be surprised and happy if he returned what the kings got for Bernier (Frattin, Scrivens and a second.

Ben Bishop was traded to the Sens for a second, then to the lightning for Conacher (rookie of the year candidate at the time.) it might sound silly given Bishop's numbers now, but at the time of his trades, he might be a comparable.

Scrivens and Enroth have essentially the same career numbers. What about Enroth puts him over Scrivens?

Enroth is younger, was a high pick, has a better contract situation and has won a world championship.

He also seems be a more established NHLer, as an established backup for three years, while Scrivens was undrafted and has been more of a recall/fill-in type. One could also argue Scrivens numbers are a product of being a King and Enroth's a Sabre.

Do you think they are more or less equal in the eyes of most GMs?

Enroth is younger, was a high pick, has a better contract situation and has won a world championship.

He also seems be a more established NHLer, as an established backup for three years, while Scrivens was undrafted and has been more of a recall/fill-in type. One could also argue Scrivens numbers are a product of being a King and Enroth's a Sabre.

Do you think they are more or less equal in the eyes of most GMs?

I'm just not sure how much discussion Enroth generates. The goalies we've seen traded lately have generated a lot of buzz during the season for their play and winning records. Schneider, Bernier and now Scrivens have drawn more attention than Enroth ever has.

I don't know if that says more about the goalies or GM propensity to buy into hype, but there must be a reason he's being overlooked.

Archived