Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

Yes he will. Ryan Miller is a great goaltender and every gm knows it.

This is true. I wonder if he will see 7.5 to 8 mil. That is alot of cap space. Also, what length would he be looking for? I'm guessing 6 to 8 years, could be wrong, but that carries him to the twilight years of his career, no? 40'ish or just over?

i know what you are sayin. others don't and i do not think other gms think that. if they did he wouldnt still be a sabre.

This is true. Not only that you look around the league and how many teams do you foresee fighting for him? Of those teams probably half he would be going to strictly for the money. Some of those are currently on his "no trade" list.

I still think his best option is right here. Don't be surprised if he doesn't test the waters and find himself right back here by the end of July.

With the Lundquist deal Miller's ASKING price just went up. Let him hit the market and find out that he will not get the kind of money he thinks he should. Then go back to him and try to sign him then if you want. Get the players/picks first.

What??? I would be willing to bet that there are 5-10 teams that would give miller that Lundquist deal in a heartbeat.

Unless anyone else has had the extreme displeasure of being catheterized several times as I have, then it's got to be me.

I haven't read this thread for weeks, so I decided to read from the newest posts. The third post I read is Aud's comment about who has the biggest dickhole. I am seriously debating whether to continue back into the depth of this discussion. I mean, how can I not? But, still…

Lundquist got what he got because

a) he is the face of the biggest hockey franchise in America

b) he can make a good case of being the best goalie in the world.

Miller is two years older with a slightly less consistent resume.

But he is an elite keeper, highly marketable and a significant upgrade for at least 20 teams.

He won't get Lundquist money. No one will,

What he gets will depend on where he wants to go. He's the type that won't necessarily follow the money.

But he will get at least $30 million on a five-year deal and could get $7 million per on a shorter term.

What about Detroit? Howard is up and down. They are getting older and probably only have a couple more years to take a run before they will have a couple of down years (Zetterberg and Datsyuk are getting older). What about them trading for Miller as "backup" for Howard... They don't need to resign him and it bolsters a questionable GT... just a random thought of the day.

I haven't read this thread for weeks, so I decided to read from the newest posts. The third post I read is Aud's comment about who has the biggest dickhole. I am seriously debating whether to continue back into the depth of this discussion. I mean, how can I not? But, still…

Yay. I plant those remarks like DVD Easter Eggs, just for the likes of you.

Lundquist got we he got because

a) he is the face of the biggest hockey franchise in America

b) he can make a good case of being the best goalie in the world.

Miller is two years older with a slightly less consistent resume.

But he is an elite keeper, highly marketable and a significant upgrade for at least 20 teams.

He won't get Lundquist money. No one will,

What he gets will depend on where he wants to go. He's the type that won't necessarily follow the money.

But he will get at least $30 million on a five-year deal and could get $7 million per on a shorter term.

??? you dont really think that do you? ive got some waterfront property in florida, you interested?

I think it'd be far more useful to determine who has the largest dickhole (urethra?).

I always get a kick out of claptrap like "the cult-like attitude of the vets around here" and bullspit about how existing members close ranks as a barrier to entry into some virtual fraternity. I'm not saying that new posters who're outspoken and/or sometimes ill-considered don't get their internet mettle tested (ooooooh - scary), e-cage rattled, and such -- it's just that griping about it is so -- well, pitiable.

Maybe it's a generational thing. For most people born before a certain time, it's real life situations that have (or had) the power to bump and bruise the sense of self; online boards tend to lack that power over them (us). But for many others born after a certain time, there appears to be less of a distinction between online and IRL interactions.

I think it also has to do with the devolution of the art of debate. Thanks to things like the internet and the pervasiveness of "entertainment news" and "reality tv", a lot of people from my generation don't have any idea how to conduct themselves in arguments. All they know is that if they yell louder then they can win. But that doesn't work on the internet, so it has to come out in other ways. Like hating on the vet posters just because we set a high standard for our discourse here. Butts and poop. Santorum.

??? you dont really think that do you? ive got some waterfront property in florida, you interested?

One of the best things about this terrible season is how it has stopped the stupid anti-Miller threads that frequently litter this board.

So I am going to say this and then shut up on the topic.

Miller is better than:

Luongo, Niemi, Smith, Harding, Howard, Ward and Crawford

He is significantly better than:

Hiller, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Pavelec, Halak, Fleury, Bishop, Holtby, Mason, Bobrvosky, Anderson, and whoever passes for number one these days with Florida, the Islanders, Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary.

To get Miller, I would trade any one of them.

One of the best things about this terrible season is how it has stopped the stupid anti-Miller threads that frequently litter this board.

Miller is better than:

Hiller, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Pavelec, Halak, Fleury, Bishop, Holtby, Mason, Bobrvosky, Anderson, and whoever passes for number one these days with Florida, the Islanders, Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary.

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh today.

Miller is better than:

Ryan Miller is significantly better than Ben Bishop? I am singling him out specifically because Bishop has only played 63 games in his career so we have no way of substiating that claim. He has only been a starter this season. I hate to use this season for comparison but Bishop has been better than Ryan Miller.

As for the rest of the list. Ryan may be better than those players however a couple of them have won cups so they must be good enough to do that.

Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh today.

Seriously. The "anti-Miller" threads have stopped because he's halfway out the door. It's a new era (not to mention that Miller has been very good, despite a middling save percentage). Why bother rehashing that argument? I do stop myself whenever I hear people say Miller is "elite" or "the best goalie in the league" or even "one of the best…" I ask myself what I'm missing.

Then I realize it's just that Miller is a Sabre, is an American, starred in the Olympics and such. It's fans being fans.

P.S. The first time I've been disappointed in Nolan in his second go-round here is when he said yesterday he wants to build around Miller. You don't build a team around a guy like Miller. I don't even think you build a team around any goaltender. You build a contending team and, yes, if you have or can add a guy like Miller, fine. I'm tired of a rooting for a small-market mindset franchise that tries to steal games 2-1.

Absolutely.

noice.

P.S. The first time I've been disappointed in Nolan in his second go-round here is when he said yesterday he wants to build around Miller. You don't build a team around a guy like Miller. I don't even think you build a team around any goaltender. You build a contending team and, yes, if you have or can add a guy like Miller, fine. I'm tired of a rooting for a small-market mindset franchise that tries to steal games 2-1.

agreed. i read that quote, squinted my eyes, screwed up my mouth, and pulled back from the monitor in disgust. something about it just sounded -- out of step.

The building around Miller comments weren't drastic when watching the actual presser. In reading them, I went, "uh oh"....

I think a few things lead to that. The Sabres would like to keep Miller all things equal, and Ryan is leaning towards going bye-bye. Teddy in his comments just saying, "ride the horse", "build from him"....it's respectful and pumping tires in the situation.

But...building from goaltender out also creates a mentality of toughness if you do it right. The Sabres have been lacking that and the culture has been ID'd as problem #1. When you have a guy that is very good to great back there, then build a defense that can combine the mentality of clearing bodies out yet still have enough pop to jump in on the transition...you really ARE in almost every game. There's nothing wrong with a tandem of Miller for 60 games and Enroth for 22. It's actually probably perfect and what they are trending to. Where it is a scary comment is that the are so far behind in other areas of the game that goalie at this point doesn't mean a whole lot...as we have seen.

In a perfect world where everyone wakes the F up for 82 games, Miller, Enroth, Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, Pysyk, Risto, Weber, McNabb is the type of system that Teddy can dream of in about 2-3 years. They need to progress though, and keep buying into the idea. Then you invest your $ and resources into quality forwards.

I just feel right now the patient is out of surgery and ICU like PA said, but it's a matter of not being out of the woods long term. I'm pretty sure Nolan and Lala know this and are trying to bridge this into as small and efficient of a turnaround as possible.

This is true. I wonder if he will see 7.5 to 8 mil. That is alot of cap space. Also, what length would he be looking for? I'm guessing 6 to 8 years, could be wrong, but that carries him to the twilight years of his career, no? 40'ish or just over?

I'd assume the bidding starts out at around five years, with the winner possibly being the team willing to go six. But I could see him taking even four years to join a good team out west.

The building around Miller comments weren't drastic when watching the actual presser. In reading them, I went, "uh oh"....

I think a few things lead to that. The Sabres would like to keep Miller all things equal, and Ryan is leaning towards going bye-bye. Teddy in his comments just saying, "ride the horse", "build from him"....it's respectful and pumping tires in the situation.

But...building from goaltender out also creates a mentality of toughness if you do it right. The Sabres have been lacking that and the culture has been ID'd as problem #1. When you have a guy that is very good to great back there, then build a defense that can combine the mentality of clearing bodies out yet still have enough pop to jump in on the transition...you really ARE in almost every game. There's nothing wrong with a tandem of Miller for 60 games and Enroth for 22. It's actually probably perfect and what they are trending to. Where it is a scary comment is that the are so far behind in other areas of the game that goalie at this point doesn't mean a whole lot...as we have seen.

In a perfect world where everyone wakes the F up for 82 games, Miller, Enroth, Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, Pysyk, Risto, Weber, McNabb is the type of system that Teddy can dream of in about 2-3 years. They need to progress though, and keep buying into the idea. Then you invest your $ and resources into quality forwards.

I just feel right now the patient is out of surgery and ICU like PA said, but it's a matter of not being out of the woods long term. I'm pretty sure Nolan and Lala know this and are trying to bridge this into as small and efficient of a turnaround as possible.

I think you've got it right. I've said before here that my preferred rebuild starts with securing Miller for another 4 to 5 years (if the money is right). I think having a championship caliber goalie is crucial to this team's success. We've already got the makings of a decent defense, it's just a matter of shoring up the center corps now. Plug in some wingers where necessary.

It really all depends on what Miller wants to do.

Archived