Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

not sure if it has been posted here yet but there is a good article on sbnation for the blues discussing their desire to throw in on miller. some of the packages the fans put together in the comments section were stewart, rattie, and a 1st. and other combinations including those players. i would love to have Rattie here. i have seen him quite a bit (i live in portland) and the kid is great. lets hope something like this gets offered. i still think miller is going to be in a penguins jersey come march 6th.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2014/1/3/5269010/dr-tradelove-ryan-miller-blues-sabres-trade-deadline-flip-floping

not sure if it has been posted here yet but there is a good article on sbnation for the blues discussing their desire to throw in on miller. some of the packages the fans put together in the comments section were stewart, rattie, and a 1st. and other combinations including those players. i would love to have Rattie here. i have seen him quite a bit (i live in portland) and the kid is great. lets hope something like this gets offered. i still think miller is going to be in a penguins jersey come march 6th.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2014/1/3/5269010/dr-tradelove-ryan-miller-blues-sabres-trade-deadline-flip-floping

That trade would be really great. I'd hope we bring up Jaden Schwartz in the conversation. I'd be willing to so Schwartz for Miller straight up.

That trade would be really great. I'd hope we bring up Jaden Schwartz in the conversation. I'd be willing to so Schwartz for Miller straight up.

i dont know much about him, but in the comments section his name did come up as well. main point is that even the fans are expecting a pretty high payment for miller, hopefully something gets done to bring in some talent.

i dont know much about him, but in the comments section his name did come up as well. main point is that even the fans are expecting a pretty high payment for miller, hopefully something gets done to bring in some talent.

St. Louis has a lot of young players/prospect we would want if the discussions ever did happen. I'm just not sure if St. Louis really decides they need to go after him. Halak and Elliot have been outstanding. Including a shutout from Halak last night. I do think that Miller is clearly better than them both, but he'll be more expensive.

Schwartz is a +24?! Holy crap that's absurd. I don't know much about the Blue's so I'm not sure if this is the product of their team play or he's just that impressive.

I'd be willing to deal Miller there, although I'm not so sure they'd want him. Halak and Elliot seem to be getting along fine, but if i remember correctly, a few years back when they entered as the 1st (2nd?) seed they had this tandem and they fell apart. Miller has a way of coming up big in big games, and on a playoff team he'd be all out.

Can someone explain to me who rattie is?

Schwartz is a +24?! Holy crap that's absurd. I don't know much about the Blue's so I'm not sure if this is the product of their team play or he's just that impressive.

I'd be willing to deal Miller there, although I'm not so sure they'd want him. Halak and Elliot seem to be getting along fine, but if i remember correctly, a few years back when they entered as the 1st (2nd?) seed they had this tandem and they fell apart. Miller has a way of coming up big in big games, and on a playoff team he'd be all out.

Can someone explain to me who rattie is?

Ty Rattie. He's small, but he's got fantastic ability on the offensive end. Contributes to special teams. He's been expected to crack the lineup for a year or two now but hasn't.

St. Louis has a lot of young players/prospect we would want if the discussions ever did happen. I'm just not sure if St. Louis really decides they need to go after him. Halak and Elliot have been outstanding. Including a shutout from Halak last night. I do think that Miller is clearly better than them both, but he'll be more expensive.

This is the difference between scouting and analytics Drane talks about. The numbers say Halak has been excellent.

How is Miller an upgrade? Why make the deal?

You get the answer by watching each of them play. What saves are they making? What goals are they letting in? Against who? When?

When you are in a seven game war against the LA Kings, with the winner going to the final, what's a more comfortable matchup: Halak or Miller against Quick?

Same series against the Hawks. If you don't have a Kane to make the big play offensively, would having Miller against Crawford help even the odds?

I know some don't believe in Miller, and that's fine, you don't make the deal.

But if you do believe, and you don't have to strip your team to get him?

This is a Stanley Cup contender people. That door doesn't open very often.

Do you want to cross your fingers? Or do you want to go get it?

This is the difference between scouting and analytics Drane talks about. The numbers say Halak has been excellent.

You get the answer by watching each of them play. What saves are they making? What goals are they letting in? Against who? When?

When you are in a seven game war against the LA Kings, with the winner going to the final, what's a more comfortable matchup: Halak or Miller against Quick?

Same series against the Hawks. If you don't have a Kane to make the big play offensively, would having Miller against Crawford help even the odds?

Agreed on all counts. My statement is basically just saying which side does the front office stand on? Do they stand on the side of saying they're winning enough with Elliott/Halak right now? Or do they think that Miller is the better option to keep them winning into and through the playoffs? Money might be a major issue.

If we trade Miller to the Blues they put their names on the cup this spring. IMO. Just sayin.

I'm inclined to agree. The depth of their skaters is the best in the league.

Ducks and Penguins have too many holes, Sharks are the perennial not-quite team.

They can bang with the Kings and Bruins and already have better scoring and a more mobile defence than each.

Miller would equalize Quick and Rask.

The only team that could stand in their way is Chicago.

The Hawks elite players give them the edge at the moment, but Miller versus Crawford evens that IMO.

If we trade Miller to the Blues they put their names on the cup this spring. IMO. Just sayin.

I hope they get a good return for Miller, but he will be run down by the time the Finals roll around if he is the Olympic starter. He goes through that tourney, then gets a condensed schedule for 6 weeks...then needs to go win 16 games??? You physically see it from afar as a fan....he loses 15 freaking pounds on an already frail body. As focused as he can be, I have an almost impossible time seeing him winning a cup unless he is part of a 60/22 rotation in a regular year.

I think that's a very realistic possibility. And I wouldn't mind it one bit.

One team that really SHOULD be trying to get Miller is Washington. They haven't been talked about much. But it seems like they're going to stick with yet another young goaltender who is strong early. For them, those guys have flopped each time and they should be pursuing a realistic consistent veteran.

I hope they get a good return for Miller, but he will be run down by the time the Finals roll around if he is the Olympic starter. He goes through that tourney, then gets a condensed schedule for 6 weeks...then needs to go win 16 games??? You physically see it from afar as a fan....he loses 15 freaking pounds on an already frail body. As focused as he can be, I have an almost impossible time seeing him winning a cup unless he is part of a 60/22 rotation in a regular year.

Sabres are letting him get plenty of rest right now as he preps for the Olympics, and if he goes to a contender, they should have the horses to make sure he eases his way down the stretch. Lindy Ruff coaches in Dallas now.

the article pointed out that both elliot and halak are UFAs and that they have gone into the playoffs with them in the past and have not made it far enough. the writer finally was giving into the idea of just going for it and getting them the piece that can put them over the top (miller) and bringing home the cup. giving up some prospects is worth it if they make a serious run for the cup. so i guess i can understand his thought process there. it would make for a great piece to put them as a favorite.

great post. i agree and cant wait for the day when these prospects we have put us in the same spot to win

Sabres are letting him get plenty of rest right now as he preps for the Olympics, and if he goes to a contender, they should have the horses to make sure he eases his way down the stretch. Lindy Ruff coaches in Dallas now.

Ruff being gone is true....but to go all-in this year, if he DOES play the Olympics....that's gonna be tough. Unless like you say, he gets out early and they space him properly.

Should be interesting. Sounds like 80/20 he is traded.....

I think that's a very realistic possibility. And I wouldn't mind it one bit.

One team that really SHOULD be trying to get Miller is Washington. They haven't been talked about much. But it seems like they're going to stick with yet another young goaltender who is strong early. For them, those guys have flopped each time and they should be pursuing a realistic consistent veteran.

also a good destination for ryan, at some point they have to realize they only have so much time with ovi

Ruff being gone is true....but to go all-in this year, if he DOES play the Olympics....that's gonna be tough. Unless like you say, he gets out early and they space him properly.

Should be interesting. Sounds like 80/20 he is traded.....

its a very good point. i would expect that they know whether or not he will sign before the olympics, hence knowing whether or not they will be trying to trade him. if we are trying to trade him, they better rest him so he doesnt get injured. that would be the worst case scenario is miller injured before the deadline.

also a good destination for ryan, at some point they have to realize they only have so much time with ovi

True, and looking at the rough stats, it almost makes sense. WSH is #12 in the East in Goals allowed while being #6 in points. Without diving too deep, upgrade goal might get them towards the top and make them contenders. The Pens look like they're in juggernaut mode though, I'm not sure how many assets you blow trading for a UFA hoping PIT somehow cools off.

If he really wants to go to Florida then it's not about winning.

I wonder if the report about them losing $20 mill a year would help change his mind, if he feels this way. But really I think it's just keeping his options open and trying to help move the process along.

If he really wants to go to Florida then it's not about winning.

I wonder if the report about them losing $20 mill a year would help change his mind, if he feels this way. But really I think it's just keeping his options open and trying to help move the process along.

If the team wasn't part of the arena group, I don't think they'd be losing $20 mil. They have a contract that will keep them here at least until after Miller has retired.

If the team wasn't part of the arena group, I don't think they'd be losing $20 mil. They have a contract that will keep them here at least until after Miller has retired.

Sure, but the report is damning no matter how you cut it. If they are desperate enough to ask for public funding then they aren't capable of putting an expensive, strongly performing team on the ice.

Archived