Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

my take on the sale: it's a hedge. he doesn't know what the next ~12 months will bring and wants to have the latitude to make a move in the event one's needed. my guess is that he's signed a 1-year lease for something upscale in the area. makes him more nimble and does not preclude him from getting into something bigger if he re-signs here.

which leads me to wonder: do employment contracts at that level have provisions about the employer's duty to cover some or all of the traded player's obligations under a leased domicile?

my take on the sale: it's a hedge. he doesn't know what the next ~12 months will bring and wants to have the latitude to make a move in the event one's needed. my guess is that he's signed a 1-year lease for something upscale in the area. makes him more nimble and does not preclude him from getting into something bigger if he re-signs here.

which leads me to wonder: do employment contracts at that level have provisions about the employer's duty to cover some or all of the traded player's obligations under a leased domicile?

CBA allows $4,000 per month for a rental.

CBA allows $4,000 per month for a rental.

thanks -- do you mean that a traded player is given that monthly allowance in order to facilitate the trade? or is that something that every player gets in addition to salary?

EDIT: this is a helpful link. http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_Proposed_CBA_-_Summary_of_Terms_FINAL_-_Jan._12,_2013%20(1).pdf

i read the benefit as $4,000 total, though - not monthly?

forget it - i got my copy of the CBA - it's a monthly benefit.

In the presser, Darcy said the goalie market has stabilized and that he talked to Ryan Miller's agent this morning.

Reading between the lines this tells me the Luongo situation was the wild card in talks, the Miller suitors are being asked to ante up their best offers, and Ryan's input is being sought (NTC, possible extensions, etc.)

thanks -- do you mean that a traded player is given that monthly allowance in order to facilitate the trade? or is that something that every player gets in addition to salary?

EDIT: this is a helpful link. http://www.nhl.com/n...2,_2013 (1).pdf

i read the benefit as $4,000 total, though - not monthly?

forget it - i got my copy of the CBA - it's a monthly benefit.

Some may read that as rental player. I mean rental as in condo, etc. Most get it for 6 months. It can't be used to buy a home.

Funny stuff.

Dave Davis@DaveDavisHockey 59m

Blue Jackets reporter @Aportzline said he's heard that the asking price for Thomas Vanek is an "arm, leg and one major organ."

Good i hope we won't trade him, but sign him for aditional 8 years. He will be our best scorer and end his career hopefully in Buffalo.

Good i hope we won't trade him, but sign him for aditional 8 years. He will be our best scorer and end his career hopefully in Buffalo.

If I am reading this correctly, if Thomas Vanek has a 70pt season (well within reason) and all of that is in Buffalo, he will climb to #5 on the all time Sabres points list. A list which interestingly would then have 4 of the top 5 being LW's. I would like to see Vanek retire here and win a cup here. I think Cody may also help his numbers going forward.

As it should be.

It should? We're not getting that for Vanek, and if he really doesn't want to re-sign here, Darcy is just setting himself up for a significantly lower return at the deadline. The parameters for a Vanek deal have been set with Nash and Gaborik in the past year...if Regier is asking for significantly more than either of those players got, he won't get it.

Gonna toss it out there that maybe Miller sold his pre marriage bachelor pad to move into something roomier or nicer so Noreen can come visit more often? Would make the most sense.

Also I want Miller resigned because I actually like his moody attitude. Someone on these team needs to show emotion. After 7 years of Roy and Pommers and Goose mumbling the same ###### night in and night out I want a guy who is so pissed about losing he tosses things across the locker room

Despite his glove hand flaw, I to like that part of him. He has worked on it too. Wish he could do the same for Staffyl.

It should? We're not getting that for Vanek, and if he really doesn't want to re-sign here, Darcy is just setting himself up for a significantly lower return at the deadline. The parameters for a Vanek deal have been set with Nash and Gaborik in the past year...if Regier is asking for significantly more than either of those players got, he won't get it.

Vanek is the best scorer on this team. His value is relative to the Sabres need for him, not what is happening around the rest of the league.

It's been on the market for a while and just sold for quite a profit. Odds are he bought a house in the area.

We'd likely know if he bought a house in the area. Odds are he's staying with his wife until he knows where he goes.

Ask for something ridiculous. Settle for something good.

Vanek is the best scorer on this team. His value is relative to the Sabres need for him, not what is happening around the rest of the league.

Completely disagree. His value to the league has nothing to do with his value to the Sabres. A team looking to acquire him will pay based on what they think he can do for their team, not what he does for the Sabres.

Ask for something ridiculous. Settle for something good.

And you have faith in Regier to handle it in such a manner?

Well, an arm, leg, and major organ wasn't really defined in hockey terms so it may very well be that Darcy is doing what he usually does and is following the market set by those before him. ie. Nash and Gaborik.

Vanek is one of the top LW's in the league. He should command a hefty price.

Archived