Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

Let's face reality here. If any team is going to want Miller, most likely it means they need that extra push to become a Cup contender. If that's the case, nobody is going to give up anybody on their roster that is equivalent. This deal will only be draft pick(s) and/or prospects.

As much as I'd like to see Miller traded for a bonafide, under 30, first line forward in hopes of convincing Vanek to stay.......... I don't see it happening.

Let's face reality here. If any team is going to want Miller, most likely it means they need that extra push to become a Cup contender. If that's the case, nobody is going to give up anybody on their roster that is equivalent. This deal will only be draft pick(s) and/or prospects.

As much as I'd like to see Miller traded for a bonafide, under 30, first line forward in hopes of convincing Vanek to stay.......... I don't see it happening.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Looking to move Miller?

Ryan Miller's future remains up in the air. Will he be a Sabre next season or be dealt elsewhere?

He has one year left on his deal at $6.25 million, which suggests this is the summer when Buffalo has to fish or cut bait with him. If it's going to deal him, it'll get more now than at the trade deadline next season.

Miller told ESPN.com via email Wednesday that he did not know what was going on and was just focused on what he could control.

"I just have to prepare myself to be a starting goalie and an Olympian," Miller said. "I want to challenge myself to raise my game back to the highest level. Everything else is out of my control."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25720/cup-pals-lecavalier-richards-both-buyouts

Doesn't seem like a player who thinks he'll be around much longer.

I think, in the end, it'll come to a first and a prospect. If it's for a first next year it'll come down to a first and two prospects probably.

Also depends on where that first rounder is.

And then this jackass on WGR just said he doesn't want three first rounders in the same draft. Says "Do you want three guys on the same timeline?" Who gives a ###### what they're timeline is. Of course you want three picks in this deep draft.

If it's next year, I'm not as interested. If it's next year, I want a player and that pick. And I think it's warranted, based upon what Filly paid for a much lesser Buffalo goaltender with one year left on his contract six years ago.

Thing is, Filly ALWAYS thinks it's a goalie away from a Cup. Ever since its goaltending hit a wall three decades ago.

Any Miller to Philly deal would have to include the Flyers also gaining cap space.

Buffalo would want Couturier or 11. Not sure if they can find the parts to finish the deal - Miller at 1/2 salary for sure, maybe we could offer them a pick and take on a salary like Mezaros. We get the pick back if Miller resigns.

St. Louis and Washington are also rumoured to be interested in Ryan.

This year's first plus a Larsson-esque prospect/young player would probably be the haul there.

Calgary is going to be in bad shape without Kipper. Would they take Miller to drop down two spots?

I'd make the deal if Lindholm was there at six, but probably not otherwise.

And I still think the Islanders for 15 is a good fit, especially if we take Dipietro.

and his center and opposite wing on Philly were? and they would be ? here? ..a step up or down? The numbers are important but you have to look at who they played with to put them up too. He was playing with skill.

Well his center was Giroux who is above CoHo. That being said Vanek's numbers have been what they are with Drury, Connolly, Roy, Hecht, CoHo. He is good all on his own.

What about Miller and $5million of his cap hit for one of 11/Couterier/Laughton, + Tye McGinn and a conditional pick next year. The condition being him resigning. The $5million could help seal the deal as Philly always wants to be aggressive in free agency.

Ryan Miller's cap hit is 6.25mil and we can only retain 50% of that so no we can't do that deal. I also think Couturier will stay in Philly. They are not likely to move him IMPO.

Lucic and Marchand are two scumbags I would NEVER want on this team. I don't deny any of their talent or what they bring to the table, but that's a road I'm not willing to cross.

this line of thought always gives me a chuckle. a fan's sanctimony = fanctimony?

From the Around the NHL thread:

TSN has an article up saying that if he doesn't stay in Pittsburgh, Letang wants to go to Toronto

Pens want a roster player, prospect and 1st rounder for him

Its one of the first times I have seen TSN being the ones saying the player wants to go to Toronto, usually its just the leaf fans there that are saying everyone wants to come play there. This time the fans are saying they don't want him.....

And people think DR overcharges! If that's what Letang is worth (he only has one year left, too), then what of Vanek?

And then this jackass on WGR just said he doesn't want three first rounders in the same draft. Says "Do you want three guys on the same timeline?" Who gives a ###### what they're timeline is. Of course you want three picks in this deep draft.

Who said that?

Someone said it yesterday. I heard it, too.

Schopp.

OK, well, that's really stupid. The more draft picks in any given year, the better.

First, there's a pretty good chance you're going to miss on some of them anyway, so you'd want the extra lottery tickets. Example: we drafted THREE guys in the 2nd round in 2001. Derek Roy, Chris Thorburn, and Jason Pominville (in that order). More is more.

Second, why NOT have your players on the same timeline? Wouldn't that help you contend when they all reach their prime? How would 2006 have gone if Thomas Vanek was a couple years older?

Letang was a Norris nominee and he's younger than Vanek. Right or wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if he had more trade value than Vanek.

They fairly similar players - both player the left side, both play right handed, they both put up similar numbers and both are pretty horrible in their own zone

The joke aside, the first part is true.

All of it is true, and you'd think that 30 years later it would be something to just laugh at. I was surprised at my own reaction when I saw it though, perhaps it because the whole thing was a pretty huge deal back in the old country when it happened. I guess 30 years is just not enough time for me to digest it..

All of it is true, and you'd think that 30 years later it would be something to just laugh at. I was surprised at my own reaction when I saw it though, perhaps it because the whole thing was a pretty huge deal back in the old country when it happened. I guess 30 years is just not enough time for me to digest it..

Thought you were Norwegian. You're Swedish?

@BuffNewsVogl

Thomas Vanek's agent, Steve Bartlett, on future of Sabres' leading scorer: "I really don't have any updates from my end. ..." (1/2)

Vanek's agent: "I am available to meet with Sabres at any time, and hope to see them at Draft." (2/2)

lol..." We really want to keep them" but we do not want to talk to them right now because we are trying to trade them on draft day.

If we cannot trade them them on draft day, then we will try to resign them this summer, and then trade them for more, which is always better than less.

We wanted to use the " we are bringing in talent to surround you with and then we are going after the cup" feint again to buy some time, but Darcy did not think it would work seven years in a row. :P We have convinced the owner that we have to get rid of our most talented and proven players to get better. They are the two people most responsible for the Sabres inability to win and the ones most easily replaced.

Archived