Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

I don't imagine there's any way you get 15 and Strome for Miller, let alone adding another piece in. IMO 15 and Niederreiter is the best we could hope for, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a lesser prospect than Niederreiter.

Niederreiter looked so good at the world juniors. I would gladly trade Miller for him.

Niederreiter looked so good at the world juniors. I would gladly trade Miller for him.

There was a feeling, that I can not verify or speak expertly to, that Niederreiter had fallen out of favor with the Isles. Not sure if there is any truth at all to that. It was mentioned in that posted interview and could be nothing. Food for thought.

I like the idea of getting Markstrom from the Panthers, but if the package is just him and a 2nd rounder, that's pretty weak. (I would love an extra early 2nd round pick though, just to make it that much easier for the Sabres to take a chance on Justin Bailey.)

Markstrom is an excellent goaltender! His big problem is several times last year he gave up really early goals. He was Enroth's backup for Sweden.

Markstrom is an excellent goaltending prospect.

Why do you think he's still a prospect? I think he's very similar to Enroth in that this is his year to be a starter and his chance to show he can carry the work load. If he stays in FL, that is. Theodore is gone so it's his team now unless something changes.

Why do you think he's still a prospect? I think he's very similar to Enroth in that this is his year to be a starter and his chance to show he can carry the work load. If he stays in FL, that is. Theodore is gone so it's his team now unless something changes.

He has 29 career starts. He's a prospect.

There was a feeling, that I can not verify or speak expertly to, that Niederreiter had fallen out of favor with the Isles. Not sure if there is any truth at all to that. It was mentioned in that posted interview and could be nothing. Food for thought.

Supposedly he asked for a trade when he wasn't invited to their training camp this year. http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/8869595/nino-niederreiter-seeks-traded-new-york-islanders-source-says

Is Strome a sticking point if we agree to buy Dipietro out?

I'd give Miller for Strome straight up. I think Strome is going to be a star. Might even like the trade if we bring in Dipietro with it, but maybe we could get a little extra if that happens.

He has 29 career starts. He's a prospect.

I consider a prospect somebody who hasn't been brought up for any length of time and/or hasn't become part of the regular roster. If Tallon doesn't trade for anyboy, Markstrom will be the starting goaltender this year. Then again, I don't think they're sold on him yet so you have a point. I think there are much hogher expectations from the Panthers this year so it's going to be interesting to see whether or not Tallon sticks with Markstrom or not. Probably why Miller has been mentioned.

Didn't mean to stray off topic.

I consider a prospect somebody who hasn't been brought up for any length of time and/or hasn't become part of the regular roster.

fwiw, kris baker defines a prospect as follows:

For definition, a prospect is judged to be a player who begins a post-draft season between the ages of 18-23, whose NHL rights are owned by the Buffalo, and who has played fewer than 50 NHL games.

and someone else (not sure who, but it was pasted into the prospect thread) defined the term as follows:

Prospect - A player under 25 who has not yet acquired a permanent spot at the NHL level and who's expected ceiling is at the NHL level. Once a player has played a full season at the NHL level, and is not expected to have to earn a spot in the following year, then they are no longer a prospect.

Archived