Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

They fairly similar players - both player the left side, both play right handed, they both put up similar numbers and both are pretty horrible in their own zone

Not sure why that is a universally accepted weakness of Vanek. I am not saying Vanek is a future Selke candidate, but he is far from "horrible" in his zone. When he has killed penalties in the past, he was pretty effective.

Not sure why that is a universally accepted weakness of Vanek. I am not saying Vanek is a future Selke candidate, but he is far from "horrible" in his zone. When he has killed penalties in the past, he was pretty effective.

I'd say Vanek is an offense first kind of guy, but I agree that he's not a defensive liability per se. I love watching Vanek play because he is such a high end offensive threat, but also does many other things very well. I've seen him ride people off the puck into the boards on the backcheck many times for example. In short, a great player, I say the best skater we've had in Buffalo since Mogilny, and from the looks of things around here quite underrated. (I use skater here as a term for a non-goalie, not a claim that Thomas Vanek is the best skating player we have had since Mogilny)

I'm excited and a little apprehensive.

As much as we are all tired of Darcy, he has shown some ability to make trades.

We also know Darcy is a yes man and faithfully adheres to the philosphies of his owner.

This owner is on record as wanting his staff to take some chances, to not be afraid of a swing and a miss.

I really think we are on the verge of some major moves.

It's just that I've been disappointed so often that it's hard to trust that feeling.

Although this isn't pedestrian: " He has spent his entire 500 game career in Buffalo, posting a pedestrian stat line of 269 wins, 2.59 goals against average, .915% save percentage, and 28 shutouts."

.915 over 500 games is really, really, really good. Or maybe I'm just old or something.

Otherwise nice piece, Gunner.

Checking out the Miller Saga...where will he end up?

It's tempting to look at the Flyer forwards and drool, but I know that the Sabres have been in love with Couturier since he was drafted. It reminds me of Andre Savard. The Sabres loved him too but he was taken by Quebec. Three years later we managed to get him in a trade but I don't think he ever became the player the Sabres hoped he was.

But back to Philly...I believe Holmgren when he says Couturier is untouchable. I know Read must be on the table, since he was offered for Bernier. Read is a good solid player and could help our team. But yes, he is 27 and we want to grow with kids. So certainly the 1st round pick must be included plus a good prospect or a trade of our 54th and their 41st picks.

Who else?

I think the Islanders would be interested in Miller since they have said goodbye to Nabokov and consider themselves to be an up and coming contender. That's the kind of team who would take Miller. But for what? Their 15th pick for starters but they don't have a 2nd round pick and I can't see them trading their up-and-coming players at this stage in their development as a team.

The Blues would be a prime consideration, but they don't even own a first round pick!

Then there is Calgary, and it's obvious that they are rebuilding as we are, so Miller really doesn't fit there.

Finally we have Phoenix/Seattle. I can't see why Smith doesn't resign there, although it is out west, where Miller would be happiest. Phoenix does have the 12th pick, which is enticing plus some talent (Boedker, Ekman-Larsson). But I think Smith will be back.

Washington will go with Holtby and Neuwirth.

I may be missing someone, but those are the teams I think need a goalie. Yet I can't see Miller returning since he even put his house up for sale. So perhaps it will be Philly after all.

Although this isn't pedestrian: " He has spent his entire 500 game career in Buffalo, posting a pedestrian stat line of 269 wins, 2.59 goals against average, .915% save percentage, and 28 shutouts."

.915 over 500 games is really, really, really good. Or maybe I'm just old or something.

Otherwise nice piece, Gunner.

agreed. .a little too much editorial liscense on the authors part but overall a decent synopsis .He played 915 behind what kind of defense and got scored on by Erhoff and Myers how many times? lol

agreed. .a little too much editorial liscense on the authors part but overall a decent synopsis .He played 915 behind what kind of defense and got scored on by Erhoff and Myers how many times? lol

I believe the Sabres gave up the most shots last season? I could be wrong but that makes his .915 all the more impressive.

Rumor: Islanders In Trade Talks For Ryan Miller

(WGR Audio) Mike Carver on what it would take for the Islanders to land Ryan Miller: http://www.wgr550.co...ntentId=6438700

That was fascinating.

Guesses on his value were 1st round pick, prospect, and another player

It's a really good fit for both teams, and for Miller since his wife is in show business. Hopefully this turns out to be the real deal.

Miller for #15, Strome/Niedereitter and something else? Perhaps that is a deal that could be worked out.

I like the idea of getting Markstrom from the Panthers, but if the package is just him and a 2nd rounder, that's pretty weak. (I would love an extra early 2nd round pick though, just to make it that much easier for the Sabres to take a chance on Justin Bailey.)

Miller for #15, Strome/Niedereitter and something else? Perhaps that is a deal that could be worked out.

I don't imagine there's any way you get 15 and Strome for Miller, let alone adding another piece in. IMO 15 and Niederreiter is the best we could hope for, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a lesser prospect than Niederreiter.

I don't imagine there's any way you get 15 and Strome for Miller, let alone adding another piece in. IMO 15 and Niederreiter is the best we could hope for, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a lesser prospect than Niederreiter.

Could be, hard to say. I think we will find out Sunday though.

Archived