Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

Why not?

I think its more likely a team with fading playoff hopes will make a big move early, than a playoff-bound team decides to upgrade its starting goalie spot at the deadline.

Vanek could pay off big at the deadline. Miller will not.

Vanek at the deadline will not get more than Vanek at the draft

I heard Sylvester talking about this. What an idiot. I can see Stewart moving, but Pietrangelo is going NOWHERE!

Stewart was my original target, Pietrangelo would be who I'd pressure for seeing as we may be able to crack them. Though my other idea was...

Alex Pietrangelo (RFA)

Chris Stewart (RFA)

for

Miller (50%)

Ennis

I don't think either pays off big at the deadline. What was the last pending UFA who returned a major haul at the deadline? Again, Iginla returned less than Pominville. As far as trading early goes, what was the last major deal to take place farther out than a few weeks from the deadline? And you expect Darcy to break this trend?

When I say "big" I mean Vanek will probably net a Pominville-style haul.

You are right on timing and on Darcy, it's just that goalies are different.

If Edmonton, or Philly, or ? is in 11th place in November thanks to bad goaltending and Miller is tearing it up, they may cave and pay then what they aren't willing to pay now.

But generally, Miller's value decreases as every day passes, to the point we will be lucky to get a second for him at the deadline.

All that said, I think Miller is going to have an amazing season this year: Olympic year + UFA + desire to put recent past behind him.

If Edmonton, or Philly, or ? is in 11th place in November thanks to bad goaltending and Miller is tearing it up, they may cave and pay then what they aren't willing to pay now.

But generally, Miller's value decreases as every day passes, to the point we will be lucky to get a second for him at the deadline.

All that said, I think Miller is going to have an amazing season this year: Olympic year + UFA + desire to put recent past behind him.

My bold prediction is if Vanek is dealt at the deadline, he returns less than Pominville did. I hope you're right about some team who needs a goaltender ponying up for Miller, but I just can't see it happening if Miller is playing outstanding. No way Regier trades a hot Miller IMO. Is it possible I've become too pessimistic about Darcy capitalizing on market opportunities? :lol:

Miller had an amazing season last year. Sadly people still think save percentage is the way to determine goalie performance

As Darcy continues to overvalue his players while refusing to "lose" a a trade, the goalie market shrinks rapidly. Outstanding f***ing job. Maybe instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the season, they can sign Mr. Moody to a 6 year extension worth $6 mil a year, so I can see the WTF wave for 6 more years.

:wallbash:

Miller had an amazing season last year. Sadly people still think save percentage is the way to determine goalie performance

How "outstanding" was he at the beginning of last season when his record was 6-10-1, and he gave up three or more goals nine times?

Really?

Yes, really! If you watched him early in the year, his play matched his stats. Those weren't the kind of games where "none" of the goals were his fault, unless you listened to the Sabres broadcasts and drank the koolaid.

WOW, amazing? No way! Not even close. Ok then, how do you determine goalie performance? And how do you view the other 20+ goalies that were more "amazing last season" :doh:

I think evaluating goaltenders needs to be done in proper context. The Sabres were the worst possession team in the league last season, and Miller managed the same even strength SV% he had the year he won the Vezina. I'm not ready to put him in the HoF or anything, but that's certainly not an "average" performance, let alone below average.

Yes, really! If you watched him early in the year, his play matched his stats. Those weren't the kind of games where "none" of the goals were his fault, unless you listened to the Sabres broadcasts and drank the koolaid.

I meant more picking apart Miller's play for part of the season when he averaged somewhere between outstanding and fantastic. Not to mention earlier in the season was when Myers and Leopold were having a competition to see who could puke all over each other harder. Miller is one of the sole reasons we picked 8th instead of 3rd. You could make it more boring/obvious with your blind hatred of Miller.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Told that Buffalo and St. Louis spoke about Ryan Miller but price too high. Nothing happening on that front at this point

I think right now that the Blues were the last team that would have any interest in Miller for the full season.

Calgary brought in Karri Ramo from the KHL. Edm, the Isles & Flyers all picked up their cheaper parts. I think now Darcy waits to see if a summertime injury happens or the trade deadline is the only chance.

I meant more picking apart Miller's play for part of the season when he averaged somewhere between outstanding and fantastic. Not to mention earlier in the season was when Myers and Leopold were having a competition to see who could puke all over each other harder. Miller is one of the sole reasons we picked 8th instead of 3rd. You could make it more boring/obvious with your blind hatred of Miller.

Part of the season = 1/3! We aren't talking about 1 or 2 bad games.

So because the price is too high for St. Louis it's all LOL DARCY SUCKS?

Please.

Obviously I don't know what St. Louis is offering, but I do know that the Sabres aren't making the playoffs next year with or without Miller, so I'd rather get something for him now versus letting him walk next May, and as the summer goes by, teams solidify their rosters, use up their cap, and will have no use for taking on Miller's salary.

Obviously I don't know what St. Louis is offering, but I do know that the Sabres aren't making the playoffs next year with or without Miller, so I'd rather get something for him now versus letting him walk next May, and as the summer goes by, teams solidify their rosters, use up their cap, and will have no use for taking on Miller's salary.

I completely agree. I just don't see how a complaint about the asking price from St. Louis automatically means Darcy is asking more than fair value.

Miller for Backes and Blues pick up Filppula?

Sure but then the Blues have three goalies.

Part of the season = 1/3! We aren't talking about 1 or 2 bad games.

:rolleyes:

Really hard to fit 3.1 million on a roster. This bitching is justified if Miller isn't moved before the season. Right now? It's just b*tching.

Damn.

DR should have traded him last year. We could have had Drouin.

FIRE DARCY!!

Archived