Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

Haven't been able to post much due to some health issues. But it is time to blow it up.

It starts on top.

GM - Rick Dudley - This isn't a reach at all. It is a low-risk, competent move.

Coach - Mike Sullivan - young - 40's - playing experience - coaching experience - pre-and post lockout with the Bruins.

currently on Torts staff in New York.

Also time to shuffle the parts. Nobody on this roster should be particularly comfortable. Time to sell, clear cap, and do a thorough rebuild creating a team that is deep down the middle.

Welcome back XB

I think you are spot on with the Dudley choice. He has been rumored to be one of the top choices around the league for next in line for a GM gig and did very well rebuilding the Thrashers. He's at least a guy who has moves in mind and is willing to change strategies when things aren't working.

Mike Sullivan is a name that hasn't been discussed at all around here, and it's a good a choice as any to throw to the hat. I like the idea of picking coaches off of the top, successful teams. Success is contagious.

Thanks everybody....I'm doing just fine. :thumbsup:

Sullivan is in charge of the D pairings and the penalty kill (if I'm not mistaken). He was middle talent center that survived on smarts. He surrounded Andrew Raycroft with a simple D and straight forward approach that made him look like Dominic Hasek in Providence and Boston pre-lockout.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a head coaching gig since. I recall he was once asked what his coaching philosophy was when he was hired in his 30's.

His reply was "The best teams never beat themselves."

Mike Sullivan. I wanted to bring a name to the table. He's the best available IMO.

If he's only in charge of the PK then my opinion definitely changes. I just hope his defensive focus doesn't lead us to be dull offensively. Winning is #1 and our defense absolutely needs to get fixed somehow, but if possible I'd like to see some offense along the way :P

X, you already know I'm disagreeing on the coach and agreeing on the GM. More importantly, it's good to see you back.

Thanks man. I don't think Lindy has lost his chops, nor do I think he deserves the lion-share of blame - nor do I think that the team has tuned him out - more a case of a team unable to respond to what he's asking. What I really think is that a rebuild starts with simplified play on the back end and stronger personnel at center.

But hockey is not a moral universe - - it's a game.

It is time to flush it. There always comes a time.

Who is this X Benedict fellow and why am I strangely excited by his presence?

He takes you back to a better place and a better time -- long before the Tim Thomas thread. He lifts you up, he dusts you off and makes you think it's all gonna be OK.

He takes you back to a better place and a better time -- long before the Tim Thomas thread. He lifts you up, he dusts you off and makes you think it's all gonna be OK.

Huh. And I thought it was the roll of quarters in his pocket. Silly me.

Good organizations don't knee jerk fire people they just extended. Not saying Lindy and/or Darcy don't deserve it. Just that Pegula doing a 180 now will just make the Sabres look bad. You give them the season at the very least and it will have to be a total collapse to force a change.

PTR

But.... looking at Lindy's last news conference, I wonder if maybe he went into Terry's office and offered himself up. I think the world of Ruff and I said when times were bad that he should never be fired. However, I think it would be a class move if he offered to resign to Pegula. As much as I like him, I think he's burned himself out.

But.... looking at Lindy's last news conference, I wonder if maybe he went into Terry's office and offered himself up. I think the world of Ruff and I said when times were bad that he should never be fired. However, I think it would be a class move if he offered to resign to Pegula. As much as I like him, I think he's burned himself out.

There was video last year of Ruff talking with Darcy and asking if the players had tuned him out and maybe his message was no longer getting through. Lindy is very well aware of this issue.

Sullivan is in charge of the D pairings and the penalty kill (if I'm not mistaken). He was middle talent center that survived on smarts. He surrounded Andrew Raycroft with a simple D and straight forward approach that made him look like Dominic Hasek in Providence and Boston pre-lockout.

I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a head coaching gig since. I recall he was once asked what his coaching philosophy was when he was hired in his 30's.

Mike Sullivan. I wanted to bring a name to the table. He's the best available IMO.

Man, reading your posts again is like huffing pure oxygen. Welcome back X.

Thanks man. I don't think Lindy has lost his chops, nor do I think he deserves the lion-share of blame - nor do I think that the team has tuned him out - more a case of a team unable to respond to what he's asking. What I really think is that a rebuild starts with simplified play on the back end and stronger personnel at center.

But hockey is not a moral universe - - it's a game.

It is time to flush it. There always comes a time.

Welcome back! We need all the sane voices we can find.

Lindy and Darcy will not be fired. Source: Howard Simon via twitter

Paul Hamilton was told if the Sabres lose every single game they will not be fired.

I am starting to believe this to be the case ... and I am not happy about it.

I'm with you Blue ... PISSED!! :censored:

Not gonna sit here and say I'm happy, but I'd be far more upset if I hadn't expected this to be the case in the first place. Given Pegula's demeanor, I never expected either Ruff or Regier to get fired this season. Offseason? Certainly more likely, but still wouldn't expect it. I think he gives them another offseason to make things better and they're safe until this point next year if the team still blows.

I kind of wonder if Sullivan will ever make that move. Many seem to think that he has a college job for life waiting for him the second Jack Parker retires at BU. I wonder how much that factors in with him, if he even considers going after an NHL head coaching job. He's obviously tied into Torts in some way, the only head coach he's worked with since being fired in Boston.

Lindy and Darcy will not be fired. Source: Howard Simon via twitter

Paul Hamilton was told if the Sabres lose every single game they will not be fired.

Pegula/Black are not going to fire a coach they just extended. If anything happens it will be the off-season. Darcy goes and the new GM decides Ruff's fate. You all better hope the Sabres don't wake up after the all-star break and go on a tear.

Trade deadline will be a good indicator. If we start collecting draft picks then you know the broom is coming out.

PTR

Archived