Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

I think this is a reasonable question.

I'm just goofing on you.

Valid question.

I say no way in hell. I think one of Lindy's major flaws as a coach is physical mismanagement of his players. He makes a guy like Gaustad lose weight, he runs a guy built like Miller into the ground, he plays the same mold of stringy d-men, calls out traded players for fitness levels who go on to play fine other places. I don't think he knows how to identify a properly built athlete and what to do with him. He would make a poor GM in my opinion.

I'm just goofing on you.

Valid question.

I say no way in hell. I think one of Lindy's major flaws as a coach is physical mismanagement of his players. He makes a guy like Gaustad lose weight, he runs a guy built like Miller into the ground, he plays the same mold of stringy d-men, calls out traded players for fitness levels who go on to play fine other places. I don't think he knows how to identify a properly built athlete and what to do with him. He would make a poor GM in my opinion.

Sometimes you try too hard. I'm still trying to figure out how a team built by the general manager you describe DR as and coached by a coach you hold such little regard for has had any success at all.

If we get a new coach, would Lindy Ruff be a good candidate for GM?

Not at all. Being an effective coach means getting the most out of the players you have. Being an effective GM means recognizing talent and having the ability to schmooze with other GMs to get things done. I don't think Ruff has the temperament for it.

That's not to say it hasn't been done, we all know of Scotty Bowman. But Lindy is no Scotty.

Sometimes you try too hard. I'm still trying to figure out how a team built by the general manager you describe DR as and coached by a coach you hold such little regard for has had any success at all.

Ruff has coaching ability. What I identified is his second biggest flaw, next to his overteaching and academia outlook on the game. When he is letting flow take over for itself, he can be effective. He was at his best fighting with Chicken$hit Wilson back in the day.

I guess if I consistantly try hard to identify weakness in a subpar management staff.....at least something associated with the team consistantly tries hard.

Whoops! did it again!

Ruff has coaching ability. What I identified is his second biggest flaw, next to his overteaching and academia outlook on the game. When he is letting flow take over for itself, he can be effective. He was at his best fighting with Chicken$hit Wilson back in the day.

I guess if I consistantly try hard to identify weakness in a subpar management staff.....at least something associated with the team consistantly tries hard.

Whoops! did it again!

I agree the management is sub par. What I don't see is how you can properly judge Ruff when he has to play the hand he's dealt. And to say that he can't identify what is fit and what isn't is ludicrous and, if I didn't have a tremendous amount of respect for your opinion, would call it into question.

I agree the management is sub par. What I don't see is how you can properly judge Ruff when he has to play the hand he's dealt. And to say that he can't identify what is fit and what isn't is ludicrous and, if I didn't have a tremendous amount of respect for your opinion, would call it into question.

I'm not saying he can't tell what is fit, I am saying his idea of what comprises an athlete in certain realms is way off. I don't know if it was because he was a fairly successful player who did not have a very big build and it worked for him?.....but we have had this debate for years. I know how I feel and what I feel is proper. You don't have to be 6'4" 230lbs to be an athlete, but if a guy trends one way, you have to understand his natural positives and work with it. Gerbe is small, but he is built like a sparkplug and has lots of balance. One of the reasons Myers may be having issues developing in quick fashion is his body type. i won't blame anyone for that, it is what it is....but you should take advantage and tailor a plan for certain guys, and certain guys you may want to avoid alltogether.

Ruff is not a bad coach. What he displays as weakness to me as a coach however doesn't make him a good Gm candidate.,

If I could pick a name out of a hat of current GM's to be the GM, I would in a heartbeat. I would hesitate with Ruff however. But we don't need to pick names out of hats.....we can go get someone.

• 2 weeks later...

January 24th is the date. That is the date of the sixth game of the seven game road trip and is also the last game before the all-star break in which the Sabres do not play again until January 31st. If a coaching change is going to take place that is likely the time it will happen.

Right now the Sabres are 4 games under .500 and have a goal diferential of -12. They have won only two of their last 10 games. The 1 point out of four this weekend against teams they fighting with for a playoff spot was disappointing to say the least. It appears to be a repeat of a scenario we have seen in the past. They may find themselves on the outside looking in with too many teams to climb over. With Washington and Tampa seemingly righting their ships, it will make the Sabre task more daunting.

What happens between now and the January 24th could determine the fate of Lindy Ruff. 11 games, 9 on the road. A sub .500 record over that span will find the Sabres further from a playoff spot than they are now with only 33 games remaining.

The possibility of a non-playoff year after all the money Pegula has spent maybe what it takes.

The possibility of a non-playoff year after all the money Pegula has spent maybe what it takes.

Sure...unless he allows himself to be convinced that this is all about injuries. I mean, for a while there, I myself was convinced, and I have wanted Ruff gone for four years now. Wait, it's 2012. Five years.

To interject I guess that would depend on how you measure success. Lindys had longevity In Buffalo under Regier but anywhere else under any other G.M. or owner with these same results would Lindy be the longest tenured coach still active? Its obvious to me that Darcy measures success differently also because he has retained Lindy for 14 years. This directly speaks to the overall success of the franchise in that time frame. Perhaps Darcy feels if he lets a coach go it reflects badly on his job as G.M. I don't know what makes Regier tick any more than any of us but imo he does have the patience of a sloth when it comes to winning a stanley cup. Hopefully Pegula is less patient and gets sorry of this show real quick because it would seem people on this board are turning real fast. And imo I've always felt that this board is a loose representation of fans in general.

To interject I guess that would depend on how you measure success. Lindys had longevity In Buffalo under Regier but anywhere else under any other G.M. or owner with these same results would Lindy be the longest tenured coach still active? Its obvious to me that Darcy measures success differently also because he has retained Lindy for 14 years. This directly speaks to the overall success of the franchise in that time frame. Perhaps Darcy feels if he lets a coach go it reflects badly on his job as G.M. I don't know what makes Regier tick any more than any of us but imo he does have the patience of a sloth when it comes to winning a stanley cup. Hopefully Pegula is less patient and gets sorry of this show real quick because it would seem people on this board are turning real fast. And imo I've always felt that this board is a loose representation of fans in general.

It was Pegula who said that Ruff "ain't going anywhere". Pegula decided to re-sign Ruff to an extension. Never hear Regier saying much about Lindy.

• 3 weeks later...

There has to be a reason why players like Boyes and Leino come here with such high expectations, but then completely fail. Boyes has been a 40+ goal scorer (although it was in 07-08), he has 8 with the Sabres so far, Leino scored 19 with the Flyers last season and was a +14, with the Sabres he has 3 goals and is a -9. Lindy is a player killer.

There has to be a reason why players like Boyes and Leino come here with such high expectations, but then completely fail. Boyes has been a 40+ goal scorer (although it was in 07-08), he has 8 with the Sabres so far, Leino scored 19 with the Flyers last season and was a +14, with the Sabres he has 3 goals and is a -9. Lindy is a player killer.

I have to defend Lindy here. Boyes and Leino are not on Ruff, they are on Regier. Boyes had a good run for a couple of years in St. Louis, aside from that, the rest of his career is pretty much what you are seeing. He is a goal scorer that brings nothing else to the rink. When the goals don't go in, he is as useless as a NHL player can be. Leino is a joke, another situation where a player finds himself in a good position to have a very short run of success and cash in. His signing is by far the worst in Buffalo Sabres history. Another player that brings nothing else to the rink other than his limited offensive ability. You can throw the rest of Regier's tenure out the window, this one move alone is enough to fire him.

I have to defend Lindy here. Boyes and Leino are not on Ruff, they are on Regier. Boyes had a good run for a couple of years in St. Louis, aside from that, the rest of his career is pretty much what you are seeing. He is a goal scorer that brings nothing else to the rink. When the goals don't go in, he is as useless as a NHL player can be. Leino is a joke, another situation where a player finds himself in a good position to have a very short run of success and cash in. His signing is by far the worst in Buffalo Sabres history. Another player that brings nothing else to the rink other than his limited offensive ability. You can throw the rest of Regier's tenure out the window, this one move alone is enough to fire him.

I'm sure Regier does not bring a player in here without consulting with Ruff and I believe that Ruff probably has the final say on if he thinks that player that will fit his "system" and can be coached. After 14 years together I highly doubt that Regier makes a move player wise without Lindy signing on 100%. Ruffs fingerprints are all over this mess.

I'm sure Regier does not bring a player in here without consulting with Ruff and I believe that Ruff probably has the final say on if he thinks that player that will fit his "system" and can be coached. After 14 years together I highly doubt that Regier makes a move player wise without Lindy signing on 100%. Ruffs fingerprints are all over this mess.

I'm sure Ruff has a say. What Ruff doesn't have is the time to be a pro-scout. That falls on Regier and his scouting staff. I'm sure Ruff looks at a Boyes the same way fans do, a former 40 goal scorer. It is up to Regier to evalute Boyes and determine his game has fallen way off. The same with Leino, it was up to Regier and his pro scouts to determine that Leino was a average player that fell into a good situation in Philly. Regier failed on both accounts.

Let's face it, Ruff gets so little help from his GM, why would he turn a player down.

Archived