Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

Seems to me that every time that anyone complains or states how lousey this team can and is playing, we get those replies that we are "over-reacting" and "should be patient as the team gels (whatever that means)", and of course injuries are often used as an excuse. The truth is, it pretty much as been the same case every year for many years-counting, and it is not improving. The core of this team has remained the same, thus the team remains the same in the end. While I always use to defend Darcy and Lindy, the truth is Darcy is very good at drafting, thus I would move him to head of scouting. Lindy, I would move up to assistant GM, then bring someone, anyone in who can and would provide a new, fresh outlook and set of ideas to the team. A trade immediately of at least one of the so-called "core" players is essential, and a coach known for motivating players would be a good start.

While we all long for success and a winning team, the truth is the team will remain the same, and will not succeed with the same core players that have not been able to lead this team anywhere of any significance for many years now. We continue to change the "spare parts", or 3rd and 4th liners, but the "top" players remain, and so does the stigma attached to these players. Hell, Kassien and McNabb and Adam and Tropp and the other young guys are the only players I get excited about these days. I do give Vanek credit, as he tries to somehow lead the team each and every game. If Lindy would leave him alone, he would be even better a player. On any other team, he truly would be a "monster", and a guaranteed 50-goal scorer no doubt.

In the end, this team is, and will continue to be the same old team, with the same old results, until it is taken apart, and re-assembled from the top down, not from the bottom-up as has been the case for far too long. In the meantime, I do love the young players that are in the future. They seem to have a nice combination of skill and grit, with many I read about actually being "tough", something sadly lacking around here for far too many years. The future is bright, so at least we have that to look forward to. Any thoughts as to a new GM and/or coach? That's the tough part, is you have to have suitable replacements, and that, in itself, may keep Lindy and Darcy here for a long time.

this quote in today's write-up in TBN had me shaking my head: "I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back."

credit to vogl for then talking how many players the penguins are down.

i don't know what lindy thinks he is accomplishing with that sort of talk. he's probably wanting to give his guys some cover. but, to me, this doesn't sound good and it doesn't sound right. he's acknowledging that the team's body of work is lacking, and he's excusing it. that's just the wrong message, as far as i am concerned.

Were Vanek, Roy and Pominville not available?

Status Quo have made excuse making an art form, this takes it to another level.

It's the default avatar now, so apparently a lot of people don't bother to change.

Thanks! I've been wondering the same thing. I agree with nucci - it is kind of creepy. Maybe a different default avatar?

Oh wait, maybe that's what's causing this crappy play by the Sabres? :P

this quote in today's write-up in TBN had me shaking my head: "I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back."

i don't know what lindy thinks he is accomplishing with that sort of talk. he's probably wanting to give his guys some cover. but, to me, this doesn't sound good and it doesn't sound right. he's acknowledging that the team's body of work is lacking, and he's excusing it. that's just the wrong message, as far as i am concerned.

Another Lindy excuse for not working hard.

And the players that he mentions have outplayed his golden boys, Stafford and Roy, as far as I'm concerned, so Dear Lindy Ruff - You Sir, are an idiot.

I'll admit I have been a long time Lindy Ruff fan, but I now feel it is time for him to go. However, I do believe this will not happen until the season is over. I understand the Sabres have been hit w/ a number of injuries, but so have teams like the Penguins. Ruff's teams have managed to play at the same level, lack of effort, over the past few seasons. A change in coaching/management would most likely inspire players to play hard for 60 minutes. We'll see what Black or Pegula decide to do, though. I can almost guarantee this. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs or are a first round knockout, Ruff and Darcy will be given the pink slips...

If we keep using Lindy and Darcy's tenure as a reason not to fire them, um.....oh forget it. This team lost my interest in Boston last month. Completely. I honestly don't care anymore. I want to care again. GM, Coaching staff, and a good handful of players need to hit the ######in bricks, period. This is so old.

I'll admit I have been a long time Lindy Ruff fan, but I now feel it is time for him to go. However, I do believe this will not happen until the season is over. I understand the Sabres have been hit w/ a number of injuries, but so have teams like the Penguins. Ruff's teams have managed to play at the same level, lack of effort, over the past few seasons. A change in coaching/management would most likely inspire players to play hard for 60 minutes. We'll see what Black or Pegula decide to do, though. I can almost guarantee this. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs or are a first round knockout, Ruff and Darcy will be given the pink slips...

Just an idea but maybe if Regier goes and we get someone a little less passive Ruff's attitude might have to change, his job is no longer guaranteed. Either that or if Ruff does go I'd say do not go with an existing coach, go for a rookie coach.

Just an idea but maybe if Regier goes and we get someone a little less passive Ruff's attitude might have to change, his job is no longer guaranteed. Either that or if Ruff does go I'd say do not go with an existing coach, go for a rookie coach.

Do you believe Ruff's employment at this point is up to Regier. I think that ship sailed years ago. Switching GM's will not change how this team prepares for games. There is no way a new Gm comes in and has the choice on Ruff's job. The decision must come from Black or Pegula.

Do you believe Ruff's employment at this point is up to Regier. I think that ship sailed years ago. Switching GM's will not change how this team prepares for games. There is no way a new Gm comes in and has the choice on Ruff's job. The decision must come from Black or Pegula.

I don't believe that to be true, but if it is, you just narrowed your potential GM pool by a huge percentage. Unless desperate for a job, no GM wants to take a job where he doesn't have the authority to hire/fire his head coach.

The relationship between two people can be odd, change one person might have an effect. Plus I have Regier as the GM, he's made it clear he doesn't really have anything to do with Ruff's side of the job which is a mentality I disagree with strongly.

While its true, the Penguins have injuries to some big name players, I think the point is Look at who they still have to pick up the slack. The Sabres on the other hand, their best players recently have been 3 guys called up from the Rochester.

Sure, its an excuse, and it might not be the right message to be sending, but what else can he do but come up with excuses and defend his guys that are out there? He has to work with what he has cause Darcy isn't going to go out and do anything to fix it, and I certainly wouldn't trust Darcy to try and find the guys to fix it (even more so after the moves he made to try and fix them this offseason, he could have made no moves and saved cap space to get these same results)

The relationship between two people can be odd, change one person might have an effect. Plus I have Regier as the GM, he's made it clear he doesn't really have anything to do with Ruff's side of the job which is a mentality I disagree with strongly.

Lindy has a lot more upside than Darcy. Lindy has a chance to win somewhere else....but not with this group that has been broken and seen the same dog and pony show for years on end.

When Ruff is in the playoffs with a group he trusts and who trusts him, he is on his game. That is impossible to do here right now with the culture and results. I keep hearing, "He would get scooped up in a minute if he was fired.". Ted Black just said it. Yeah, and if you dump your girlfriend who has gone stale on you...she's going to end up with another guy.....and may actually end up happy with him.....but guess what, it wasn't working for you two. Would you rather be miserable the rest of your life with a trophy wife you stay with out of habbit? Or would you rather find someone that makes you happy every day and that you trust to be your partner?

That's the problem right now.....there was a chance to salvage Lindy if they dropped Darcy last year. Now we have just gone too far down the rabbit hole with the current set of actors. It has to go bye-bye. This is almost like watching Amy Winehouse. The more she denies, the more you know where this is headed.

I don't think he fires Lindy during the season but if the team quits on him the way the Caps quit on Boudreau then I think both DR and LR are canned shortly after the season ends. And as poor as they looked last night I don't think they've quit on him to that extent.

I agree with this. I have knowledge that Darcy most likely tempered expectations before the season to his bosses, however I don't think even Darcy and certainly not Pegula / Black envisioned the team playing this poorly for as long as they have. If they don't make the playoffs Pegula will not have any choice but to clean house IMO.

Lindy has a lot more upside than Darcy. Lindy has a chance to win somewhere else....but not with this group that has been broken and seen the same dog and pony show for years on end.

When Ruff is in the playoffs with a group he trusts and who trusts him, he is on his game. That is impossible to do here right now with the culture and results. I keep hearing, "He would get scooped up in a minute if he was fired.". Ted Black just said it. Yeah, and if you dump your girlfriend who has gone stale on you...she's going to end up with another guy.....and may actually end up happy with him.....but guess what, it wasn't working for you two. Would you rather be miserable the rest of your life with a trophy wife you stay with out of habbit? Or would you rather find someone that makes you happy every day and that you trust to be your partner?

That's the problem right now.....there was a chance to salvage Lindy if they dropped Darcy last year. Now we have just gone too far down the rabbit hole with the current set of actors. It has to go bye-bye. This is almost like watching Amy Winehouse. The more she denies, the more you know where this is headed.

For me it's dead simple:

I believe we can win a cup with Ruff but not Darcy. The 'passive' front office reputation has to change, starting with Darcy. Give Ruff 1 season after that.

Please don't mix your metaphors so much, I have a headache already lol.

I agree with this. I have knowledge that Darcy most likely tempered expectations before the season to his bosses, however I don't think even Darcy and certainly not Pegula / Black envisioned the team playing this poorly for as long as they have. If they don't make the playoffs Pegula will not have any choice but to clean house IMO.

We use Pegula but sure this is more up to Black, I don't know but I thought Peg said he'd provide the finances as long as a cup came home. Wouldn't dealing with DR and LR be left to Black? Genuine question.

For me it's dead simple:

I believe we can win a cup with Ruff but not Darcy. The 'passive' front office reputation has to change, starting with Darcy. Give Ruff 1 season after that.

Please don't mix your metaphors so much, I have a headache already lol.

We have a concussion thread to solve that ;)

I don't think for a second that Lindy Ruff changes anything that he's doing now if he has a new GM above him. I believe that Lindy is already putting full effort in. It's not like a new GM is going to light a fire under him, he's already plenty motivated. Lindy's effort isn't the problem.

Now, if that new GM brings in a different group of players, that may certainly change the style and system Lindy uses. But changing just a GM and everything else remains the same? We'd get the same results out of everyone.

I don't think for a second that Lindy Ruff changes anything that he's doing now if he has a new GM above him. I believe that Lindy is already putting full effort in. It's not like a new GM is going to light a fire under him, he's already plenty motivated. Lindy's effort isn't the problem.

Now, if that new GM brings in a different group of players, that may certainly change the style and system Lindy uses. But changing just a GM and everything else remains the same? We'd get the same results out of everyone.

I understand your point. I just think we won't get rid of players like Roy, Stafford under Regier, thats my only point. I think I'm trying to make the same point you are in the bolded part just differently.

For me it's dead simple:

That's what I said going into last offseason. And when it didn't happen I said this would be a waste of a year with the possibility of setting the franchise back 3 years given missed opportunities at the trading deadline and in continuing the same culture with a blank check. Many others had similar feelings. But I am negative and feed seagulls Alkaseltzer for a hobby.

If you catch the mold in time you are ok. If it grows too long the whole building has to be condemned and gutted.

We have a concussion thread to solve that ;)

I have voluntarily sent in a video of myself to Chz so she can focus on any wrongdoing and then can put out a video of her own, telling me what a bad boy I am and slowly telling me in detail what my punishment is.

I agree with you. I just hope TP & Co. have the guts to hand out the slips.

It seems sensible to replace the GM and allow him to find his own coach. Firing Dary or Ruff isn't wise...a new GM may not get along with Ruff, and a new coach may not agree with the new GM. Since they have to work hand-in-hand with each other, it's good to replace them both, starting with the GM.

P.S. Is Rick Dudley available?

I have voluntarily sent in a video of myself to Chz so she can focus on any wrongdoing and then can put out a video of her own, telling me what a bad boy I am and slowly telling me in detail what my punishment is.

We already have video of you. Look up and to your left.

And please put your pants back on.

I agree with you. I just hope TP & Co. have the guts to hand out the slips.

It seems sensible to replace the GM and allow him to find his own coach. Firing Dary or Ruff isn't wise...a new GM may not get along with Ruff, and a new coach may not agree with the new GM. Since they have to work hand-in-hand with each other, it's good to replace them both, starting with the GM.

P.S. Is Rick Dudley available?

He's with the Leafs now.

Archived